Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Paralep adoptiva vs. E. pluralis

Adirman has attached this picture to aid in identification. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.3X larger)
AdirmanMay 13th, 2013, 5:31 pm
Monticello, NY

Guys;

A guy on another forum I frequent posted some pics from this past weekends outing up to the catskills. in one of the pics, he identified a a mayfly that landed on his flyrod as a quill gordon dun. To me, it looks more like a blue quill. Both species look pretty similar and are hard to tell apart to my untrained eye. Any advice on iding these 2 that is more obvious, perhaps say, a big diff. in size or something?

Thanks alot,
P.S. heres a pic of the bug!

Adirman
PaulRobertsMay 13th, 2013, 10:17 pm
Colorado

Siphlonurus?
EntomanMay 14th, 2013, 2:04 am
Northern CA & ID

I agree with Paul. It's probably S. quebecensis (Gray Drake). They are the by far the most common eastern species and hatch earlier. Ask your friend if it had V's on each belly segment, Adir. If so, you have your ID.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
PaulRobertsMay 14th, 2013, 3:08 pm
Colorado

Seems late for E. pleuralis, and much different habitat too. E. pleuralis can be similarly colored to freshly emerged Siphlonurus, as well as two-tailed. At first glance I could see how they might be confused. The dun in the image is quite dark and probably had darkened.
AdirmanMay 14th, 2013, 4:45 pm
Monticello, NY

Thanks guys, for the help but im sure he didn't look under the belly based on what he said in his post. But based on what your saying Entoman, the v's on the underbelly segments is a good way to differentiate the 2?
Also, Brookyman, whats that with the face shape thing?

Most appreciative,

Adirman
EntomanMay 14th, 2013, 11:51 pm
Northern CA & ID

...the v's on the underbelly segments is a good way to differentiate the 2?

No, a good way to differentiate from other Siphlonurus species. There are other possibilities besides quebecensis. Epeorus species look quite different with their long legs and different body conformation. Besides very obvious hind wing and tail count differences, Paraleptophlebia species look quite different as well.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
PaulRobertsMay 15th, 2013, 8:07 am
Colorado

Siphlo is a "swimmer", long in abdomen, rounder in head. Epeorus is a "clinger", shorter in ab, flatter more sprawled across legs, wider in head.

The basic Swimmer, Crawler, Clinger are good general body plan descriptions.
AdirmanMay 15th, 2013, 5:19 pm
Monticello, NY

Yes, I see your point Brookyman.

Thanks all,

Adirman
AdirmanMay 15th, 2013, 6:04 pm
Monticello, NY

Entoman;

Went to the insect encyclopedia section and looked up siphlonurus dun pics. They got a real nice pic, I think on page 2, of the v-shaped color pattern you were referring to for the gray drakes.

Thanks for the insight,

Adirman
EntomanMay 15th, 2013, 7:12 pm
Northern CA & ID

You're welcome, Adirman. Again, not all species of Gray Drakes (Siphlonurus) have those. I brought that character up as a way for you to determine the species, not as a way to separate it from the genera you mentioned. Both of those were already eliminated by other character differences. Sorry for not being clearer about this in my previous posts.
AdirmanMay 16th, 2013, 5:36 pm
Monticello, NY

No problem, this has been a great thread as Ive learned a lot from you guys!!

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.