Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Good afternoon on [REDACTED] Pond, plus tomorrow's lunch!

Jmd123 has attached these 7 pictures. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.8X larger)
Getting the kayak to the pond...
Getting the kayak to the pond...
Dude in a kayak...
Dude in a kayak...
Nice fat, colorful brookie (11")
Nice fat, colorful brookie (11")
Tomorrow's lunch!  Yummy yummy yummy...
Tomorrow's lunch! Yummy yummy yummy...
Trailing arbutus, a beautiful and fragrant wildflower
Trailing arbutus, a beautiful and fragrant wildflower
Ah yes, the serviceberries are flowering...
Ah yes, the serviceberries are flowering...
The fly pattern that got the job done!
The fly pattern that got the job done!
Jmd123May 9th, 2013, 9:26 pm
Oscoda, MI

Well, I got a real bonus today while throwing flies on my favorite local trout pond - a whole bag full of eating-sized perch! Two beautiful brookies too, the first one 12" and the second (in the photo) was 11". All on the same fly, a mottled brown/grizzly Woolly bugger with black bead-chain eyes, size 10. Imitating what, perhaps dragonfly nymphs? I've seen a few dragonflies so they must be getting ready to emerge, and I have done very well with this fly (with or without eyes) at this time of year on this water. I did not see any hatches or surface-feeding fish whatsoever, but this activity is not long in coming. Took Mom and Dad out there with me to show them one of my most favorite fishing spots ever.

This pond can be maddening at times, but when they're on, they're ON! And the perch must have been spawning, one was a male that squirted milt all over the place! Felt good to get a couple of really nice-sized trout today too.

Jonathon

P.S. Mom, Dad, and I will be enjoying those perch tomorrow...
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
PaulRobertsMay 11th, 2013, 12:14 am
Colorado

Very nice! Love the image of the brookie. And that's a nice bunch of tasty smallmouth bass! :)

Hey!...Take the plastic off of that cork! That's sacrilegious! Cork is supposed to get soiled. It's not dirt, it's soil! Manna from heaven. God's good Earth! Character! Beauty marks! The only thing worse is a shotgun without a scratch on it. After you tear that plastic off and properly despoil that cork you should get down yourself and roll in the muck at pond-side.
OldredbarnMay 11th, 2013, 12:31 am
Novi, MI

Very nice! Love the image of the brookie. And that's a nice bunch of tasty smallmouth bass! :)

Hey!...Take the plastic off of that cork! That's sacrilegious! Cork is supposed to get soiled. It's not dirt, it's soil! Manna from heaven. God's good Earth! Character! Beauty marks! The only thing worse is a shotgun without a scratch on it. After you tear that plastic off and properly despoil that cork you should get down yourself and roll in the muck at pond-side.

Great post sir!

Those are yellow perch...My wifes favorite fish. I brought her home a pile of them once when I was out ice fishing with a friend...I couldn't remember at the time the last time I'd killed a fish. When I pulled out the fillet knife and took them to the utility tub she was afraid to say anything for fear that her vegetarian would remember he was indeed a vegetarian and stop what he was doing. :) I hadn't cleaned a fish since I was a kid...I butchered them...She tossed them in a little corn meal and fried them up...She had a small bowl full of fillets and she sat down and ate them all...She said, "They will never be as fresh as they are right now!" :)

One of those blessings of living in Michigan...Otherwise she would of left here years ago.

The thing I noticed is Jonathon is graying up since the last time I saw him a few years back...Pretty soon he'll be as gray as me...:)

Spence

Paul...Eric will tell you that I played in the mud on the banks of the Letort when we visited there...It took me two serious scrubbings to get that stuff off the waders & boots!

Jonathon...My Amelanchier has already lost its blossoms down this way...I have always marked that tree on my way up north on my May trips to Grayling...Good stuff...
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123May 11th, 2013, 8:57 am
Oscoda, MI

"And that's a nice bunch of tasty smallmouth bass! :)"

Hahahahahah! I think we have a running joke going here... ;oD

OK Paul, I will have to rip the plastic off sometime soon and properly soil the cork...my feet got pretty dirty as I was wearing Tevas and it's hard to get out of a kayak without stepping in the water...does that count???

"The only thing worse is a shotgun without a scratch on it." Uh oh, guess I better get out both of my Ithaca Model 37's and get busy scuffing them all up...

Spence, they were delicious! It was a great send-off for my Mom and Dad at the conclusion of their visit. We had some nice sweet corn and fried redskin potatoes with them. And those brookies were just beautiful too. They're still swimming - the minimum size limit at this place is 15"! As I mentioned before, a few other local flyfishermen and I are hoping this place turns back into a trophy brook trout fishery so we keep it rather hush-hush and kill every nice perch we get out of there to keep the competition down. I doubt I'll kill any trout out of there ever, no matter how big they get.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
OldredbarnMay 11th, 2013, 11:56 am
Novi, MI

My wife is sad she missed out on lunch! :)
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
EntomanMay 11th, 2013, 12:34 pm
Northern CA & ID

You left the plastic on the cork!? Practicing "safe fishing"? Come on, man....:)

"And that's a nice bunch of tasty smallmouth bass! :)"

Hahahahahah! I think we have a running joke going here... ;oD

Yes, we do. I remember that thread.:)LOL
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
PaulRobertsMay 11th, 2013, 3:27 pm
Colorado

You left the plastic on the cork!? Practicing "safe fishing"? Come on, man....:)

:)

Jonathan, I have two 37's too. Love them. One, my deer gun, I bought for $95 in the late 70's. One of the first guns I bought. It was old and full of character even then. I cold blued it, customized the stock a bit and had it drilled for a scope. It is of high quality, the action like glass. The second, a Featherweight "Ultra-lite" with English stock, I bought new in the early 1990's. It is not of the quality the old one is, but still very nice. They both have "character" -well loved they are.
OldredbarnMay 11th, 2013, 6:23 pm
Novi, MI

Well one never knows where that rod handles been?! ;)

No you didn't!?

Jmd123May 11th, 2013, 7:54 pm
Oscoda, MI

That's right, Spence, it actually gets used for WARMWATER fishing too! Eeeewww, contamination! Just trying to do my part to keep from spreading the next invasive aquatic nuisance species or whatever they call them these days! (So there, Kurt!)

;oD

Jonathon
EntomanMay 11th, 2013, 8:43 pm
Northern CA & ID

That'd be Stream Transplanted Despoilers, Jon...
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
PaulRobertsMay 12th, 2013, 8:54 am
Colorado

:)

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.