Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Please help identify this fly

Tosh has attached this picture to aid in identification. The message is below.
Shown Full Size
ToshMay 6th, 2013, 10:54 am
Posts: 2I need help in identifying this fly. It is a friend's keepsake from her father.
CutbowMay 6th, 2013, 11:31 am
Post Falls, Idaho

It's a variant of a "Mickey Finn."

Edit: No it's not. :)
"Once you catch your first fish on a fly you won't care about any other kind of fishing!"
OldredbarnMay 6th, 2013, 12:03 pm
Novi, MI

It looks to me to be an old steelhead fly...Something like a "Fall Favorite" or some such. The problem, as I see it, is we tiers have been known to stray from the recipes and get creative...It could be spot on for some local pattern, or someone's "secret" pattern.

Where in the country did the father live? Fish?
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
EntomanMay 6th, 2013, 4:43 pm
Northern CA & ID

Hi Tosh,

Welcome to the forum!

Spence is right. That is a West Coast steelhead fly called the Fall Favorite. Excepting the addition of the Jungle Cock eyes (which were considered optional on all steelhead flies) the materials (even thread and type of tinsel) are exactly to type. The pattern was originated on the Eel River in CA back in 1946 by famous West Coast steelhead pioneer Lloyd Silvius as an "optic" style. Revision to a standard tie and the addition of red thread and fluorescent materials became the standard a little later. It is a famous "bright fly" from the Skeena in BC to the Russian in CA and remains on the top 10 list of classic flies still used. I filled an order of this fly (sans junglecock) for a gentleman just a few years ago that swears by them for the Applegate in OR.

Based on its tying style and hook selection, this fly is probably at least an early 70's vintage, perhaps even from the 60's, based on the length of wing and the way the body goes into the bend. The Mustad 3908C hook types were popular at the time and the addition of jungle cock to "class them up" was coming into vogue. Though professional looking, I believe this is by a custom dresser. The use of genuine jungle cock eyes precludes a commercial source from that era. Beautifully done...
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
EntomanMay 6th, 2013, 4:56 pm
Northern CA & ID

Hi Mack,

You need to load the photos up in a free photo app like Photobucket. Copy and paste the IMG file name into the post and put bracketed link - /link on each side like you do for quotes or italicizing.

BTW - I am very familiar with Hellekson's book. It was intended to be a compendium of flies for tying and material selection. Though fairly accurate as a snap shot of the popular versions of flies at the time, He focused little to no time on historical research and original materials/construction methods, so I'd take those references with a grain of salt.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
EntomanMay 6th, 2013, 5:14 pm
Northern CA & ID

Not the http files, the IMG files.
SayfuMay 6th, 2013, 6:07 pm
I particularly like that pattern in about a #8 for sea-run cutthroat.
ToshMay 6th, 2013, 8:19 pm
Posts: 2Thank you all so much for such prompt responses to my question re this fly. The information you have provided will be invaluable to my friend. This fly is already framed...Again, thank you all for making a "difference".
Tight lines...Tosh
OldredbarnMay 6th, 2013, 8:59 pm
Novi, MI

I can't remember for sure, was the guys name Edison or some such??? There was a famous old book filled with paintings of just about every fly out there...My old mentor lent it to me and he and I got a little weird with it...Someone would ask us what we were fishing and we would make up answers from obscure flies..."Oh. Just a Cornine's Quill." "The Riser Special". "The Fall Favorite"...etc. The more obscure the better. A "Tups Indespensible" was always great and a "Pale Watery" as well. :)I loved the "Reed Smut".

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
CrepuscularMay 6th, 2013, 10:30 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Well done gentlemen! Very well done.
EntomanMay 7th, 2013, 1:18 am
Northern CA & ID

Right again, Spence!

J. Edson Leonard is the author's name and the book is appropriately titled Flies. My copy is mysteriously missing from my library (it's around somewhere as I remember looking at it not too long ago), but I believe the Fall Favorite is listed and illustrated in it.

The best source for all things steelhead as far as lore goes (flies, anglers, and the great rivers) is Trey Combs. He has personally interviewed all the greats. Extensively, not in passing. There is nobody to compare with him in this regard. His book Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies '76 and the follow up Steelhead Fly Fishing: Tackle & Techniques, The Great Rivers, The Anglers and Their Fly patterns are musts for the libraries of those interested in the history and lore of steelheading.
EntomanMay 7th, 2013, 5:57 am
Northern CA & ID

Tosh,

You are most welcome. Contact me by PM if you have a mind (just click on my avatar), The tying style and execution look quite familiar to me. There's a good chance I knew your friend's father if he was the tier.

Best regards,
JodeaMay 7th, 2013, 12:14 pm
Galway city Ireland

over here in Ireland we might call that one a "cock robin" .. its as close to the one i have here as anything and a very much in use this time of year too.
EntomanMay 7th, 2013, 8:51 pm
Northern CA & ID

I would be interested to know the origins of the Irish version, Jeremiah. It is my understanding that the The Cock Robin is a steelhead fly designed by the legendary C. Jim Prey. It is named after Cock Robin Island at the mouth of the Eel River in CA. It differs somewhat from the Fall Favorite, having an orange collar and brown wing of either bucktail or fox squirrel. Like the Fall Favorite, it too was originally an optic (painted eyes). It was quite popular during the middle third of the last century.

Below is how the Fall Favorite (and other traditionals) are mostly tied today. Though originally designed for Winter runs, their use has changed over time. Articulated Intruders, large flowing Speys, Marabous, and GP's now dominate angler's Winter boxes. This has relegated the traditional wet flies to Summer runs and low water use. That's the reason for the shorter wings that barely reach the bend and bodies finishing further up the shank like with Atlantic Salmon flies. Tying them on Salmon hooks completes the transition. Tails are added for a more balanced look that wasn't necessary on the old long wing styles. Also, wings are now often tied reversed (as in this example); not only because they allow for the smaller heads now in vogue but also for a stronger wing with a higher set.

Fall Favorite #6

JodeaMay 8th, 2013, 11:45 am
Galway city Ireland

wow thats a nice bit of history there ,, i didnt know where the name came from
it was a fly introduced to me by a friend Tony Walsh whom help in the making of my introductory video.we had decided to make some of the film in Co.Clare as that where my anccestors biuld the famous Dysert O'Deas Castle or otherwise known as Clare Castle,the village of Killdysert is home to a couple of very nice small limestone trout loughs & the killdysert angling accociation,during filming the live fly we set about trying a few local favourites namely the "cock robin" and the "Montana" both new flies to me,both proved very productive with the "Cock robin" getting most on the action though i did miss by far the bigger trout on the "Montana red" simply caught me by suprise.
the cock robin is slightly darker than this fly here (above) and with a gold or silver body,same tail and painted eyes,the main difference on close inspection in the short yellow tail,
i must check out how to add photos here and put one on this thread.
BigredMay 31st, 2017, 9:11 am
Posts: 1your pattern is indeed a Fall Favorite. I use it as the bright fly in my go-to
set of five tones, three sizes that I keep for steelhead. An excellent pattern for bright cloudy days with no sun on the water. If used otherwise it would cause the fish to shy away. I still tie it some 50 years after I first saw it in Roy Patrick's pattern book
David82ndMay 31st, 2017, 10:05 am
Upstate,New York

Nice fly , to those that tie this, what is the material used on the body ? Tried to look close up , ? Looks clean

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.