Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Need BWO help quickly, tonight, Page 2

EntomanFebruary 20th, 2013, 10:25 pm
Northern CA & ID

On second thought, you might really be on to something, Eric! Since the nymphal portion is dense, why worry about a neatly tapered dun body and tails? Perhaps shorten the foam up some and leave it stubby as it is? This would suggest the dun body coming out of the split in that explosion of bright color and as a bonus, it could aid greatly in flotation. You might have a winner there, fella. Hail Caesarean Paratilt!:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
BoulderWorkFebruary 21st, 2013, 7:32 am
CrepuscularFebruary 21st, 2013, 8:17 am
Boiling Springs, PA

I hesitate to show some of the wild stuff I've come up with over the years! :)

Well, this was driven by a head cold, pseudoephedrine and nyquill.
CrepuscularFebruary 21st, 2013, 8:27 am
Boiling Springs, PA

You might have a winner there, fella. Hail Caesarean Paratilt!:)

I'm skeptical
Feathers5February 21st, 2013, 9:44 am
I hesitate to show some of the wild stuff I've come up with over the years! :)

Well, this was driven by a head cold, pseudoephedrine and nyquill.

Yep, things are becomming more clear for me now, Crep.
CrepuscularFebruary 21st, 2013, 11:18 am
Boiling Springs, PA

I saw nothing....I don't know what any of you are talking about ;)
OldredbarnFebruary 21st, 2013, 11:23 am
Novi, MI

I think I may have gone too far with this one...it's the first one so cut me some slack.

Ok...:)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
CrepuscularFebruary 21st, 2013, 11:28 am
Boiling Springs, PA

I think I may have gone too far with this one...it's the first one so cut me some slack.

Ok...:)

Spence

I don't know where that quote came from. Very puzzling.
OldredbarnFebruary 21st, 2013, 11:31 am
Novi, MI

Yep, things are becomming more clear for me now, Crep.

Yep, Bruce...Lets call it Late Night Brown Beer Fantasies...Sometimes you just have to walk away from the vice...It's three am for goodness sakes...;)

"Sir. Put the bodkin down and step away from the vice! Step away from the vice! Its going to be ok"

Spence

Ummm...Been there, done that...
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
CrepuscularFebruary 21st, 2013, 11:33 am
Boiling Springs, PA

I could tell you about the time I spilled a whole jar of flexament on a silver grade whiting neck (the bottom half)...
OldredbarnFebruary 21st, 2013, 11:55 am
Novi, MI

I could tell you about the time I spilled a whole jar of flexament on a silver grade whiting neck (the bottom half)...

Ouch!

At our old home, pre 1998, there was a small room in the corner of our basement...It had been used by the woman of the house as a small hair cutting spot...She had a chair there and cut the neighbors hair. There was a circle in the carpet.

I would be laboring away, another cold Molson on the table, Red Wings on the radio, and my wife came in to the room to explain that she could smell the glue all the way upstairs...This mad man turned to her with blood shot eyes and glared at her...

We put a fan in the room after that. :)

My mentor drilled in me the habit, which I still have, of never sitting the glue jar back down on the table without the lid on it...If it makes it to the table without the lid, it will be forgotten and get toppled over...Never fails...Like leaving a small Hardy reel on the roof of the Jeep...Damn! That still hurts.

Spence

CrepuscularFebruary 21st, 2013, 12:30 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Oh and then there are the occasional invasions of my bird dogs...vermin!
EntomanFebruary 21st, 2013, 2:52 pm
Northern CA & ID

Hey, who stole Eric's fly? Wasn't me...
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
CrepuscularFebruary 21st, 2013, 3:08 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

What fly?
EntomanFebruary 21st, 2013, 3:47 pm
Northern CA & ID

For some reason, I have this image lingering in my mind of a paratilt with a green banana coming out of its back. It was late though...:)

Now back to fishing and flies... Nymphs are often overlooked as an option for this hatch once the fish become active at the surface. There is a time period of a half hour or so when they first start to work that they can be real suckers for the nymph. Most guys use some kind of emerger, which isn't always the answer. The key is to fish it dead drift like a dry. While it's a given that the design should match the critters silhouette and size, of equal importance is that the nymph fish within an inch or so of the surface and ride upright. It's surprising how many of them fail in the latter two categories. Razor foam under the splitting wingcase and overall light construction help with these. My secret though is a tiny bead of strike putty a few inches up the leader.

Here's a closer look at the Ripe Nymph that's in the photo above. It's actually a fairly pale fly that looks dark on the back because of a little doctoring from an olive felt pen. I also tie an even paler version using olive mallard flank ribbed with thread to simulate the lighter, speckled variety. For deeper nymphs fished before the hatch (either dead drift or with a little action), I haven't found anything that works better than the Sawyer original, even though the naturals aren't that color. Strangely, this doesn't translate to the shallow nymph where a closer color match seems always to be the more valuable ticket. The fish have never told me why...

LastchanceFebruary 21st, 2013, 6:58 pm
Portage, PA

That's a great looking nymph, Entoman. I tie a similar one, using black turkey or black medallion sheeting for the wing case.
CrepuscularFebruary 21st, 2013, 7:00 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

you know it's funny I fish a floating nymph pretty often. Even after all the effort I put into tying emergers, some of the pickiest fish I have come across have been all to willing to eat that nymph just under or in the film...that's a really nice fly Kurt.
EntomanFebruary 21st, 2013, 7:20 pm
Northern CA & ID

Thanks, Guys. I tie a similar version to imitate PMD nymphs as well. It's interesting, Eric... though it works pretty good at times, the fish usually seem more into what we think of as emergers with the Pale Morning Duns. PMD's are where the Paratilt really comes into its own. I don't bother with that pattern much anymore for the Olive Quill hatch, relying more on this nymph for that stage instead. Go figure...
CrepuscularFebruary 21st, 2013, 7:30 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Yeah I was speaking more in generalities than about the olives. Still though sometimes it's what works.
EntomanFebruary 23rd, 2013, 8:53 pm
Northern CA & ID

Jeez, I can't believe I left these two out. I guess I was too focused on the "imitative" aspect of the topic. Anyway, I would never fish this hatch without these two in my box, especially for those days when the trout don't seem to be establishing a pattern regarding the hatching sequence (or I can't figure it out). I like to fish them dead drift finishing with a controlled swing. On a little faster water than Fall River, I'll fish them upstream as well.

Size 16 Waterhen Bloa

Size 18 Snipe & Purple
Page:123

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.