or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Brook Trout fly fishing montage

Report at a Glance

General RegionUpper Peninsula of Michigan
Specific LocationA river somewhere...
Time of Day3-7
Fish CaughtBrook Trout
Conditions & Hatches87 Sunny. Slight breeze. Hatches... small caddis.

Details and Discussion

Pryal74July 11th, 2012, 4:02 pm
Escanaba, MI

I took some little clips of a typical afternoon for Brook Trout. Only had a few hours before work, but did pretty well.
-James Pryal
Into The Wild Fly Fishing
Jmd123July 11th, 2012, 11:02 pm
Oscoda, MI

Brookies are the best!!! I just got back from some kayak/pond fishing for them myself this evening. Biggest one tonight was 10", but this pond has thrown me foot-plus brookies before. Fished a #12 tan elkhair caddis and then a #12 Royal Wulff, they tore both of them up...

Nice little video there, James! Sooner or later I will come visit you. Right now I am actually planning a trip to Isle Royale for Labor Day Weekend! Won't get to hit the brookie fishing there though, not enough time to reach those waters. I will be taking the 8-weight along for pike...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
AdirmanJuly 12th, 2012, 7:07 am
Monticello, NY

Wow that was nice! Didn't see much of a trail on your way in; do you use a GPS or do you just "know the way"?
Pryal74July 12th, 2012, 2:41 pm
Escanaba, MI

@ Jonathon... I love EHC for Brookies. That's the pond you were talking about before I'm sure.

A trip up here would be worth it. Isle Royale is gorgeous. I hope you have a good time. What kind of streamers are you planning on using for those "alligators?"

@ Adirman... I have been fishing that river since I was 7. It's a REALLY long hike on some 2 track roads, then it's all poplar forest to the river. I can fish it in many different areas and I know the way by heart.

I actually caught a 14" (in the video) and one 12" and a few others around 10 or 11" not in the video. I was in the mood to film some stuff. When I got home I realized I might be able to put enough together for a short clip.

I'm no Spielberg or anything, but it's ok.
-James Pryal
Into The Wild Fly Fishing
AdirmanJuly 12th, 2012, 5:34 pm
Monticello, NY

No, its awesome!! Thanks very much for providing to the rest of us as we can vicariously enjoy your experience!!
SofthackleJuly 13th, 2012, 11:30 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

What a wonderful way to spend an afternoon!

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
TrowingflysDecember 7th, 2012, 2:50 pm
hillsdale, mi

great vide! this also sounds like eddie veddar in the background so nice touch. Favorite vocalist of all time.
JafDecember 11th, 2012, 5:54 pm
statecollege Pa.

Nice video, and a great way to spend an afternoon I agree. Watching that really makes you want to get out and feel the pull. Man I love it !!

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.