Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Isle Royale fly fishing

ValleyridgeJanuary 11th, 2011, 5:09 pm
Posts: 2New to the forum here, really enjoy the site. I'm in the early stages of planning a fall trip to Isle Royale NP. Never been there, I hear it is beautiful. Any suggestions on where to toss some flies around there?? What should I expect as far as fishing conditions/water type? Basically any info would be great. Im from central PA and usually fish the many great spring creeks in the area. Look forward to talking contributing to the forum in the future.

Cheers
Jmd123January 12th, 2011, 11:55 am
Oscoda, MI

VR, go to the north shore of Siskiwit Lake, straight north of the big island in the lake (I think it's Ryan Island), and you will find a stream containing beaver dams/ponds with brookies in them. I was there in August of 2000 and popped a 10-incher on a grasshopper imitation, I think it was size 10. Otherwise, try a Royal Coachman/Wulff type pattern, as brookies love them too. Be prepared for a good hike over steep terrain, but it's worth it!

I didn't try it but you should have some luck on northern pike in the inland lakes if you throw big streamers around on an 8/9 weight, maybe even a few walleye too?? Also, if it's cold enough you will find lake trout up shallow in the Lake Superior waters around the island - I would use the same tackle as for pike...

It is an incredibly beautiful place and you will find much to occupy you besides fishing (like all of the wildlife, geology, spectacular scenery, starry skies at night, etc.), but the fish are there! Good luck and tell us how you do after you return!!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.