Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Gone For a While..

JesseJune 14th, 2012, 12:42 pm
Well guys the time has come for me to embark on a two month journey through Montana and Canada's Rocky Mountains. Although I enjoy hiking and camping, I have never done anything this strenuous. Most of the hike will take place throughout western Canada (in the 'rough' Rockies). I wish you all luck and happy fishing, and I hope that when I do finally return, stories of pigs and good times fill this site. Oh, and in case any of you were worried about me going into panic attacks from not fishing for this long of a time period..I already have the rig set up to fish every time the opportunity comes (which will hopefully be every couple of days). Wish me luck guys, take care, and most importantly, TIGHT LINES!!!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
PaulRobertsJune 14th, 2012, 1:30 pm
Colorado

Good luck. Enjoy it! Avoid lightning (watch your exposure in the afternoons). Check for hanger's and dead rotted trees before pitching your tent (winds can be violent and come at any time). You probably know this stuff, but ... just in case.

Hey...do you happen to have Rich Osthoff's book on fishing RM lakes? It's excellent.
Jmd123June 14th, 2012, 3:45 pm
Oscoda, MI

Go for it, Jesse! Sounds like a blast. I hope you get some really cool backcountry fishing experiences out of it. I myself am planning a much shorter trip to Isle Royale National Park later this summer and will also be taking along fly rods, of course...

Take lots of photos to share with us!!!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
OldredbarnJune 14th, 2012, 9:10 pm
Novi, MI

Most of the hike will take place throughout western Canada (in the 'rough' Rockies).

Jess...If you happen to run in to my girlfriend, up that way, April Vokay, tell her I haven't stopped thinking about her since the Rod Show here in Detroit last March...:)

Seriously...Have a great time and as Paul was hinting...Common sense always belongs in your pack-pack somewhere...It could come in handy between all that fun you'll be having...Don't forget your bear-bell and a good can of mace...You won't need the mace, but it can offer some peace-of-mind...

Wish I was tagging along...

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
ShantiJune 15th, 2012, 1:38 am
Sweden

Have a great hike, Jesse!
Take care.
Somewhere, right now, a fish is rising.
And you´re at the computer..
EntomanJune 15th, 2012, 2:09 am
Northern CA & ID

Have a great time, Jess! We expect a full report when you get back.

Spence -

Wish I was tagging along...

You don't really want go into bear country with somebody that much younger. He wouldn't have to outrun the griz, only you. :)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
OldredbarnJune 15th, 2012, 12:05 pm
Novi, MI

You don't really want go into bear country with somebody that much younger. He wouldn't have to outrun the griz, only you. :)

Ha! Ha!

When I was camping at the Third Meadow of Slough Creek in 2004 I told the guys there that they had nothing to worry about from bears as they slept...I told them that I have been a vegetarian since 1970 and the bear would walk in to camp and take a wiff and say, "Yum! Corn fed." Then walk right passed them to me...Ouch! :)

Turned out...I was the only one in the group to see a Grizz on that trip.

I had, what I call the lost years, during my junior high school days here in Detroit. I ran with a pretty wild group of young wanna-bees...We had a kid in our group named Rick who was a bit over weight and smoked. Probably since he was a three year old...When we found ourselves in situations where we had to run, we always knew that Rick was our sacrificial lamb...He could only manage about a half-a-block and jumping fences wasn't his forte...:)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
OrnJune 15th, 2012, 7:25 pm

Best of luck, have a great time!

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.