Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Looking for a New DSLR?

FisherOfMenFebruary 14th, 2012, 8:47 pm
NY

Just wanted to put in a good word for a certain camera model. If any of you guys are looking a low-price/high-value DSLR for some nice fishing trip pics, then look no further. I see some of you guys have Canon's. This is great, but I couldn't afford to $1000 price tag for some of the models.

So I did some research, and finally purchased an Olympus E-450 DSLR. Olympus primarily makes medical optical equipment and such, so I had doubts, but I've been very happy with the camera since I've had it. It's maybe two years old now, and I got the camera and a lens for around $350 refurbished on ebay. I haven't kept up with DSLR news lately, but at the time, it was one of the smallest and lightest DSLR on the market, good for packing and carrying while fishing. It also was one of the first to have an LCD viewing for taking pictures, but it was a little primitive.

So if you need a good camera in the $300 - $400 range, look for a good used Olympus E-450. It is definitely an underdog, but a good hardy camera for the needs of the outdoorsman. I have been very happy with mine.

Here's a link to a good review: http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/olympus_e450_review/
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught." -Author Unknown

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
TroutnutFebruary 15th, 2012, 2:52 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Olympus primarily makes medical optical equipment and such, so I had doubts

They're very well-established in the digital camera market, too. The camera I used to start Troutnut.com was an Olympus point & shoot from 2003 or so.

I'm partial to Canon now, but there's nothing wrong with Olympus and several other brands.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
GldstrmSamFebruary 15th, 2012, 6:00 pm
Fairbanks, Alaska

My brother is a Cannon only guy. I think one of the main reasons is because of there wide variety of lenses with good lens quality for a fair price. The camera bodies are also compatible other lens brands. From my experience I prefer Cannon and Panasonic/Lumix over other brands. Of course the Olympus I tried was an older "point and shoot".
I am looking at buying a Cannon Rebel T3i sometime this spring or summer. The reason I would choose that one over the one you suggested is because there are more lens options which is very crucial for me because I enjoy a large range of subjects from macro to landscape and wildlife. That Olympus looks like a great camera otherwise. Thanks for sharing.
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus
TroutnutFebruary 15th, 2012, 9:43 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

My brother is a Cannon only guy. I think one of the main reasons is because of there wide variety of lenses with good lens quality for a fair price.

That's why I like Canon, too. Nikon is the same way, and has a similar following. Every other DSLR company is in a tier below them, as far as most professional photographers are concerned, and it's for the reasons you suggested -- the huge variety of high-quality lenses, flashes, and other accessories. That's why I chose Canon -- they have the best macro flash and corresponding macro lenses for the work I do for this site.

The difference between Canon/Nikon and the other companies is not in image quality, although theirs is excellent and they might in fact be the best -- it's just not as large a difference as the lens/accessory variety difference. But the variety of lenses won't be important to many casual to mid-serious hobby photographers, who can be happy with any well-made DSLR with one or two good general lenses. Olympus is probably as fine a choice as anything for someone in that category.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
FisherOfMenFebruary 15th, 2012, 9:45 pm
NY

Canon does make a better camera and there are countless lens combinations, but at 14 I didn't have the resources to get a $1400 camera setup, so I got the Olympus which had nearly every feature the Canon had, only a $1000 less dollars to go with that Canon logo ;)

In a year or so I'll probably be looking for an underwater-capable point-n-shoot. I'd like to get into recreational suba diving and of course for some fly fishing pics!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
EntomanFebruary 15th, 2012, 9:50 pm
Northern CA & ID

Nick,

You're only 14?! Had me fooled... You are a very well spoken young man...
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
GutcutterFebruary 15th, 2012, 10:17 pm
Pennsylvania

FisherOfMen wrote:
Olympus primarily makes medical optical equipment and such, so I had doubts

Why would you think that "medical grade" cameras and optics would be inferior to something that isn't used to save someone's life? Cost really isn't an issue when a hundred thousand dollar O.R. is set up, or a million dollar robot is purchased. They all use either Olympus, Karl Storz, Stryker or Fuji optics.
Olympus equipment is equal to or better than anything else that is out there.

An excellent waterproof (to 10 meters) P&S is the Pentax Optio. The older models are tremendously "underpriced" compared to the current model.
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
GldstrmSamFebruary 16th, 2012, 12:46 pm
Fairbanks, Alaska

My brother probably would not want for me to be talking about him or his cameras with out me mentioning his photography website. It is found here http://www.cyberstream.us/.
EntomanFebruary 16th, 2012, 12:55 pm
Northern CA & ID

You guys are brothers? Well, well, what do you know! What with the NY and AK digs, I never would have guessed. Which one of you is the oldest?

EDIT: Went to the website, and now understand you weren't referring to Nick. His Canon comments threw me off. Sorry about that. :)

Nice website by the way...
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
TroutnutFebruary 16th, 2012, 1:25 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Why would you think that "medical grade" cameras and optics would be inferior to something that isn't used to save someone's life?

It's a fair concern, not because medical optics aren't high-quality, but because they are a very different specialty. A lot of non-overlapping expertise goes into producing those and DSLRs, and a company just wetting its feet in either field is bound to be behind a more experienced company in some ways. However, as I mentioned, Olympus has been in the consumer camera market for a long time and they make good stuff.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
FisherOfMenFebruary 16th, 2012, 5:24 pm
NY

Nick,

You're only 14?! Had me fooled... You are a very well spoken young man...

I'm 17. What I meant was, I was 14 when I started saving for a good camera. I was 15 by the time I got it, and I did mention it was two years old. I should say three, because I'll be 18 on Monday! Woot Woot!

EntomanFebruary 16th, 2012, 6:29 pm
Northern CA & ID

Congratulations. BTW - you're still well spoken, even for 18.
GldstrmSamFebruary 16th, 2012, 8:14 pm
Fairbanks, Alaska

Happy Birthday FoM!! I know I'm early. I'm just making up for all the times I am late.LOL.
FisherOfMenFebruary 18th, 2012, 2:18 pm
NY

Thanks, guys!

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.