Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Burks' New Zealand commentary

GONZOApril 12th, 2007, 7:39 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

A few years back, I was looking through a friend's copy of B. D. Burks' "The Mayflies or Ephemeroptera of Illinois." I was looking for some answers to some identification issues, and even though many revisions have occurred since its publication, it was very helpful. But the thing that stuck in my mind ever since was his commentary about introduced trout in New Zealand.

Although I've never had the privilege of fishing there, I've read two things about the fishing that stand out. First, though the trout can be huge, they are generally not numerous, especially in streams. Second, there are very few significant mayfly hatches to match. Until I read Burks, I had just assumed that mayflies were never very common in NZ.

According to Burks, my assumption was erroneous. He said that because the mayfly species in NZ hadn't evolved with the trout, they lacked specific defenses and the introduced trout simply ate most of them! It made sense, but this was the only place where I had read that. I was wondering what some of our insect/trout experts thought about this, and whether similar things have been documented in South America or other places where trout have been introduced.
KonchuApril 12th, 2007, 9:11 am
Site Editor
Indiana

Introduction of trout above waterfalls in parts of western North America have been hard on some aquatic insects.
GONZOApril 15th, 2007, 7:33 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Hi David,

It's been a while since I read Burks' comments (and I really don't trust my memory the way I once did). I'm trying to recall if he made any comments about native fishes relative to this. I think he did, but I can't be sure. Anyway, it's possible that I've overstated his case. I even suppose it's possible that Burks overstated the case, but that error is much more likely to be mine than his. ;)

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.