or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Acroneuria

The Specimen

The Discussion

GONZOApril 3rd, 2007, 9:00 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

This appears to be Acroneuria. Not sure which species.
GONZOApril 3rd, 2007, 9:53 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Sorry, Jason--hasty judgement. This specimen appears to have a setal row across the occiput. Probably Paragnetina media. I'm not used to seeing a distinct "W" on the head of media, so this one threw me. But, I can't think what else it could be. (Way too dark for immarginata, and the abdomen would be patterned.)
MlajoieMarch 18th, 2008, 8:49 am
Posts: 6This may in fact be media, but Gonzo is right, the markings are usually not this distinct (especially the 'w'). To me, this looks more like a darkly colored immarginata. Differences of habitat frequently cause variations in color, and it is tough to distinguish for sure, based on the photos. Immarginata has transverse banding on the abdominal terga, and this specimine has an especially dark abdomen, making it hard to tell. Also, just to point out, Gonzo, the occipital ridge is not made up of setae. It is a closely set transverse row of spinules. And to the other comment, a golden nymph will work fine for fishing, as it's still a perlid. Besides, I don't think trout can ID to species...
EntomanMarch 11th, 2012, 9:12 am
Northern CA & ID

Jason,

This one is still linked with Acroneuria for some reason, even though the name is now correct.

Two characters that nobody seems to mention are the concave look to the back of the head (caused by the occiputal ridge) and the exaggerated bowling pin shape of the abdomen on many Paragnetina. These are noticable differences from Acroneuria. When these two characters are together and obvious, there should be no need to look at spinules with a microscope or good macrophoto to determine between the two. We have a similar situation out West with Callineuria/Hesperoperla and Claassenia nymphs. Astute observers can easily tell the difference at a glance without enhanced vision, and I suspect this may also be possible between many if not most Acroneuriinae and Perlinae genera in the East.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.