Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > yellowish possibly night hatching mayfly

Aafloyd has attached these 2 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.3X larger)
Shown Full Size
Here is the lot of them below a light in the morning.
Here is the lot of them below a light in the morning.
AafloydOctober 31st, 2011, 8:57 pm
Mouth of Wilson, VA

I took this photo on June 26 after checking my street light early one morning. I'm having a heck of a time figuring this one out. I'm thinking maybe Ephemerella dorothea dorothea or some sort of Anthopotamus but I haven't found any matches at all. The body was maybe 1/2-3/4" The photo was taken in the southwest Virginia mountains.
SofthackleOctober 31st, 2011, 9:09 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Beautiful photo! Shows great detail. I don't think i is dorothea. It seems a little late in the year.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
EntomanOctober 31st, 2011, 9:18 pm
Northern CA & ID

Hi Aefloyd -

That's an Anthopotamus distinctus female subimago (dun) (Commonly known to anglers as Potamanthus or Golden Drake)

Welcome to the forum!

Regards,

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
AafloydOctober 31st, 2011, 9:21 pm
Mouth of Wilson, VA

Thanks - I've still got my old film macro lens that can take some beautiful shots but being that it is for SLRs it has an extremely shallow depth of field making it impossible to get the entire critter in focus. The beauty of those SLRs seems to be the down fall in this case.

Yeah, I didn't find any examples of dorothea that really matched, but I didn't really find any others either :(
AafloydOctober 31st, 2011, 9:33 pm
Mouth of Wilson, VA

Any clue when distinctus hatches, time of day?

Glad to be here!

Aaron
OldredbarnOctober 31st, 2011, 9:36 pm
Novi, MI

I agree with Mark. No to E dorothea...Their wings are solidly light dun/cream without the "hash-marks"...Did Potamanthus distinctus keep the distinctus when it switched over to your second guess Anthropotamus? That's my guess. Where's Roger when we need him? :)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
OldredbarnOctober 31st, 2011, 9:39 pm
Novi, MI

That's an Anthopotamus distinctus female subimago (dun) (Commonly known to anglers as Potamanthus or Golden Drake)

Kurt...Do you live here? :) You must have a beeper or something that goes off when a new(ish) bug shows up here. You beat me to the draw.

Spence

I wish I had been down by the river that day! That looks to have been a nice hatch.
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
EntomanOctober 31st, 2011, 9:42 pm
Northern CA & ID

Ah.. you cut me to the quick, dear friend. That's not a second guess, it's an update. Potamtanthus was changed to Anthopotamus by those pesky entomologists while I was dealing with goblins at the door.:)

Regards,

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
AafloydOctober 31st, 2011, 9:47 pm
Mouth of Wilson, VA

I wish I had been down by the river that day! That looks to have been a nice hatch.

Wish I would have been there to! I never saw the hatch or know when it took place. I can check my lights at about 11PM or at sunrise and find them there. Often I check the lights before going to work and end up with torturous images of mayflies swimming in my head all day long!!
OldredbarnOctober 31st, 2011, 10:12 pm
Novi, MI

Often I check the lights before going to work and end up with torturous images of mayflies swimming in my head all day long!!

I hear you brother...A hatch like that and I would of called in sick! :)

The only time I've seen them here was in a stockie pond near Detroit here...I was in a float tube, as was a good friend of mine. He looked at me and asked if I happened to have any Robert's Yellow-Drakes on me...I have returned to that pond every year there-after and never saw them again(?)

Welcome aboard by-the-way...

I grew up down in the "tide-water" of Norfolk VA until I was 9...Left VA 1963...

Spence

EntomanOctober 31st, 2011, 10:18 pm
Northern CA & ID

Spense - Yes and yes (until Jason starts charging me rent).

Aafloyd - They are closely related to the Ephemeridae (Green Drake and Hex) That are tusked and fringed-gilled as nymphs but they do not burrow like their cousins. Instead they live in shallow little depressions of fine sand or silt. They typically inhabit med. to large rivers usually too warm for trout and hatch in the evening.

A curious thing about the name change: They used to be in the family Ephemeridae with the genus name Potamanthus. They have been re-classified into a new genus Anthopotamus and placed in a new family, the Potamanthidae. So, it is correct to call them potamanthids but not Potamanthus. Confused a little? Sorry about that (no wonder latin gets a bad rap). This mayfly is one of the most beautiful and graceful in North America. Speaking of latin, potamanthus translates into "river flower". Who says Scientists can't be poets?:)

AafloydOctober 31st, 2011, 10:29 pm
Mouth of Wilson, VA

Awesome - thank you guys for the help and warm welcome! So Anthopotamus distinctus it is.

I do typically see these with the Hexagenia limbata nearby. I also can affirm that the section of stream they both come out of holds the trifecta of eastern trout. I live just above an old dam so I'm assuming they (Hex) are burrowing in the silty area above it, and so Anthropotamus distinctus would be in the same habitat.
FalsiflyOctober 31st, 2011, 10:49 pm
Hayward, WI.

So, it is correct to call them potamanthids but not Potamanthus. Confused a little?

Not at all, it’s clear as mud.

Speaking of latin, potamanthus translates into "river flower".

Which begs the question, what of Anthropotamus?
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
TaxonOctober 31st, 2011, 11:09 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Spence-

Where's Roger when we need him? :)

The truth be known, I was returning DVD rentals to Safeway. Incidentally, I agree with Kurt that the genus is Anthopotamus, and that it's a dun (subimago). However, I believe (based on eye location on the head) that it's actually a male.

Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
EntomanOctober 31st, 2011, 11:22 pm
Northern CA & ID

Allan -
Spence is right - where's Roger when we need him? I'll do my best with a poor imitation:

1. The new family name for this specimen is Potamanthidae. Therefore it is correct to call specimens within the family potamanthids (like specimens of the Baetidae family can be referred to as baetids).

2. The new genus name for this specimen is Anthopotamus therefor it would be incorrect to refer to this specimen as a member of the genus Potamanthus (especially since this genus name is no longer valid).

3. It is not "Anthro-" it is "Antho-". Don't know where the "r" came from; sorry about that. I believe it translates roughly the same though, as "Antho" also means flower.

Editor note: The name thing is still weird and confusing for this critter. Imagine if the families Ephemerellidae and Baetidae no longer had the valid genus names Ephemerella and Baetis in them?:)

Kurt
EntomanOctober 31st, 2011, 11:36 pm
Northern CA & ID

Hi roger -

Ah .. there you are.

However, I believe (based on eye location on the head) that it's actually a male.

At first I thought so too, but the specimen seems a little light in the special equipment.

Regards,

Kurt
TaxonNovember 1st, 2011, 3:25 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

At first I thought so too, but the specimen seems a little light in the special equipment.

Good point, Kurt, I must have been suffering from tunnel vision. :-)
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
EntomanNovember 1st, 2011, 4:06 am
Northern CA & ID

Roger,

I can't relate since it's never happened to me.:):) Remember that C. pictus critter last week? That was the photographers fault....

Regards,

Kurt
TaxonNovember 1st, 2011, 5:02 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Kurt-

Thanks for the reminder? :-)
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
EntomanNovember 1st, 2011, 5:38 am
Northern CA & ID

Yeah, I wouldn't have missed those speckled wings if the guy had taken a better picture!:) That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.