Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > First time fishing the Delaware! (first post was a mistake)

Jesse has attached this picture. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (4.5X larger)
JesseJuly 8th, 2011, 1:28 pm
Upon fishing the Delaware for the first time i learned that the trout it holds are very finnicky and tough to catch. But with a little patience and hard work it can be done. The river and its fish are absolutely beautiful and fight like hell. Because of all these ill definitely be coming back soon!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
JesseJuly 8th, 2011, 1:45 pm
Guys i can't get all of the pictures to upload that i wanted to share with you guys im sorry..
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
OldredbarnJuly 8th, 2011, 2:04 pm
Novi, MI

Lovely fish, Jess!

The river bed behind you looks rather silty. I think Matt told me somewhere back there, that this is a tailwater and may be that's why it looks so covered...Do they ever flush some of that out? Maybe in spring? Maybe there's some clean gravel out there where the current appears stronger...

Jess. No one gets around like you kid! Remember "Where in the World is Carmen Santiago"? We here on TroutNut are going to have you post your photos without any hints or cooridnates and we are going to have to guess where in the hell your fishing next! :) Keep it up and at all costs avoid anything that ever-so-slightly hints that you'll end up somewhere, like me, with your ankle chained to a very expensive looking desk! Promise?

Petri Heil! Mein Freund!

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
TroutnutJuly 8th, 2011, 2:30 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Nice fish! What went wrong with the picture upload? Maybe I can fix it.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
JOHNWJuly 8th, 2011, 3:55 pm
Chambersburg, PA

Spence,
It does flush frequently and the river is not quite as silty as it appears in the picture. If i'm not mistaken the section in that picture is within the first 1.5 miles below the dam.
Jesse,
Nice fish.
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
WbranchJuly 8th, 2011, 6:07 pm
York & Starlight PA

Gorgeous fish! The foreground is likely muddy because he stirred it up getting set-up for the photo. If you look just a few feet behind him it is quite clear. The river has been getting regular T-storms and if they are heavy the main can get off color. If you have a few days that are rain free the clarity is excellent and you can see the bottom in six feet, or more, of water.

I know the river quite well and that looks like water below Lordville. Is it? A yes, or no, would be fine - rather not publish exactly where on this open forum.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
JOHNWJuly 8th, 2011, 7:11 pm
Chambersburg, PA

Now that I look closer not sure what I was thinking with my earlier post. Once again I'll defer to WB on the point.
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
WbranchJuly 8th, 2011, 8:00 pm
York & Starlight PA

"If i'm not mistaken the section in that picture is within the first 1.5 miles below the dam."

Your kidding right?? No where on the WB, or EB, are there rock palisades/outcroppings like those below the dams. Jesse also wrote "Upon fishing the Delaware." So I'm assuming he is referring to the main stem below the "wedding of the waters."

Your deference is accepted!
SpinnerfallJuly 10th, 2011, 1:40 am
Boulder, CO

gorgeous fish!
JesseJuly 10th, 2011, 2:25 am
Spence: Thanks my man your to good. And no worries i PROMISE that this kids never going to be stuck behind a desk (unless of course its because im tying up some tasties)! As far as the guessing game goes im sure i can work something like that out ha. And yes, im very privileged in the fact that i get to be and have been to all the places that ive been in my young life. I don't take one day of it forgranted.. Getting back to the Delaware i found that the water was prestine without silt of any kind in the little bit swifter water; well in all of it for the most part. Some area's though were water was slow i did notice good bits of silt. I don't know about the flushing but i don't think its to a point where that has to be done.

Jason: I don't know why it wouldn't let me. Every picture i would try to upload would start loading really slowly (im talking like ten minutes plus a pic) and by that time i would be good and frustrated. The uploads wouldn't seem to follow through. But i turned my computer off and next time i got back on the picture was there. Haha iono..

Wbranch: The whereabouts are always a mystery and i have to keep it that way, but im sure you know how that goes! And your lucky to know the river well, i definitely plan on getting to know it a lot better myself. It was excellent fishing.

Thanks for the comments guys i appreciate it.
MartinlfJuly 10th, 2011, 1:15 pm
Palmyra PA

Superb fish, Jesse!!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
PaulRobertsJuly 11th, 2011, 9:30 am
Colorado

Great catch. Nice image too. Did a buddy take the shot, or did you use one of those articulating pods?
JesseJuly 11th, 2011, 5:46 pm
Paul a buddy of mine took this picture for me. But when im alone and i catch nice fish i always find something to put the ole cam onto. Not an articulating pod though (i wouldn't want to deal with the extra baggage of carrying it around). I ususally just set it on a log or rock on the bank.
JohanBJuly 13th, 2011, 6:03 pm
Nashville TN

Jesse,
I'm happy to see that you are doing what guys our age wish they could be doing, but are distracted by society and its attempt to categorize a trout bum like you as a wasted mind. But is your love for the environment, fishing, and the outdoors that sets you apart from the rest. Those who criticizes what you do, sadly, don't understand the euphoric feeling of getting to a river bank early in the morning as the fog roll over the water, they'll never feel the since of accomplishment after making the perfect cast with an impeccable presentation, they will never understand the thrill of a fight with a 20-plus inch wild trout as it takes you for walk up and down the river bank. Those people don't understand people like us, but then again they don't have to.
I have known and fished with you for many years now, and you never fail to exceed my expectations on what a good friend is and what an even better fly fisherman is. I'm proud to have you as my best friend and happy to see where fly fishing has taken you. Keep in touch and be safe out there!

A. Johan B.
Paradise Fly
Jmd123July 13th, 2011, 7:04 pm
Oscoda, MI

Jesse & Johan, some of us "guys our age" are still not stuck behind a desk and can still be most appropriately considered trout bums - why, me for example! I don't have enough work to keep me busy so I have to occupy my mind and body somehow, and now I live in fisherman's paradise, a.k.a. northern lower Michigan. But then again, I do not confine my pursuits to trout as there are too many other fisheries in the area, though I have been steadily reclaiming my trout fly-fishing roots as of late. Hey, I WOULD have a "real job" if society would let me, and I made my bargain with society and got my college degrees and have plenty of professional experience, even in 4 other states besides my home here. But society pays lip service to protecting the environment, and when it comes time to open the wallet and pay folks who know what they're doing to do the necessary work, somehow society always has other priorities. So, fine, I can be a trout bum, also I guess a bass and sunfish bum, and enjoy myself on minimum income in a place where fortunately the cost of living is low but the abundance of fish is most definitely NOT. And I really don't give a minnow's anal fin if anyone understands that or not! If I was upset about society or anyone in particular not understanding me I would have checked out of this life a long time ago, but by golly there's just too damned many fish to catch out there, not to mention wildflowers to identify and photograph, to worry about the opinions of others. Be exactly who you are at all times and you will ALWAYS find at least a few others on that road who will appreciate you for who you are.

Keep up the good work and enjoy it, Jesse! More power to ya!

Just my humble opinion...and with that, boys & girls, I'm off to throw dry flies on my other favorite spot on the Rifle River. Tight lines, dancing trout, and flitting flies to you all!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
PaulRobertsJuly 13th, 2011, 7:53 pm
Colorado

I was once a fishing bum. But no more. I now have a family, a little later in life than they way it used to be, and they come first.
JohanBJuly 13th, 2011, 8:27 pm
Nashville TN

Jonathon, Paul,

I didn't mean my earlier post to be disrespectful in any way, sorry if it came across that way. Jonathon, more power to you man I admire those who can balance work, family, and recreational fishing. So with that said try not to get y'all's panties in a bunch, I didn't mean to offend any one with my earlier post.
Paradise Fly
PaulRobertsJuly 13th, 2011, 10:08 pm
Colorado

No worries. Not taken that way at all.
JesseJuly 14th, 2011, 10:52 pm
Amen!
WbranchJuly 26th, 2011, 2:28 am
York & Starlight PA

Talking about trout bums, when I was 25 I took my first trip to Montana and stayed a month. I enjoyed it so much that when I got back home I bought a 1969 VW Campmobile and the following year, at the end of May, I quit my job and drove back out to MT and spent June, July, and August camped on the upper end of Atmstrong Spring Creek. Back then, believe it or not, it was open to the public, no fee. Sometimes when I got tired of sight fishing to rising rainbows I'd drive over to Dillon, Bozeman, or Melrose and fish the Beaverhead, East Gallatin, or the Big Hole. I did that the next four summers and had glorious fly fishing when the sport had not yet become any where nearly as popular as it is today. Wonderful memories of Montana when it was not so civilized and crowded.

Here I am in Livingston, MT with my hippie hair, bell bottom pants, and medallion around my neck.

Page:123

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.