Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > My new "backyard" (the lower Au Sable in late February)

Jmd123 has attached these 10 pictures. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.8X larger)
Jmd123February 25th, 2011, 7:21 pm
Oscoda, MI

Took a nice long walk behind my new place with a camera today and this is what I saw...

Sure as hell beats living in the city.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
CaseyPFebruary 26th, 2011, 8:06 am
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

Jonathon, how about the third week of Sept? just let me know the exit number and if i can bring anything!:-) just kidding--but it sure looks good to this city dweller. thanks for posting!
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Jmd123February 26th, 2011, 8:53 am
Oscoda, MI

CaseyP, you are welcome to visit any time you like! I even have a guest room with a bed already in it for wayward troutnuts. Bring a flyrod in the 8-9 weight range in case the salmon start coming back and even if they don't there's walleye, smallies, and possibly pike in there too. Oh, and maybe a nice bottle of port or sherry since I'm done with the vodka...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
SofthackleFebruary 26th, 2011, 11:08 am
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Hi Jonathon,
Wonderful photos. They really give you a sense of the place. It looks as though you are getting adjusted just fine. Keep us posted. I want to see more.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
TroutnutFebruary 26th, 2011, 1:26 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Very nice! I'm jealous of the liquid water.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
EntomanFebruary 27th, 2011, 6:14 pm
Northern CA & ID

Hey Jonathon,

Nice photo's!! Cool place to live... I think those swans agree as well. How far are you from the holy water?

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Jmd123February 27th, 2011, 8:29 pm
Oscoda, MI

Kurt, I'm on the lower end of the river, well below Foote Dam and only a few river miles up from Lake Huron. It's steelhead water, used to be salmon water before the run collapsed in the last 10 years (hopefully they will come back some day). There are also smallmouth & walleye in there - one day about 12 years ago while snorkeling on the job (when I AM working, it can be a blast!) I saw a 2-foot walleye with a 15-16" smallie sitting right next to it on the bottom above a sandbar...plus there's probably some pike in there (maybe even a muskie???), and I have read some big catfish too (I have caught at least one of those on my KBF so who knows). Likely a few lake-run browns find their way in there during the fall as well.

With regards to the "holy water" it is a ways upstream from me, but I suspect I could be there in an hour or less. However, a tributary to the Au Sable system, the Pine River, is right up the road from me about 10-15 minutes away and it has brookies and browns, and it is not well known or popular (or canoeable I believe), so I'll probably spend a considerable amount of time exploring that stream. Plus the Rifle, with which I am very familiar and which is also "the road less travelled", is also about an hour away and has great hatches from the opener to almost October, and is even open right now for steelhead as well. Too many places to go! Not to even mention Tawas Bay, Van Etten Lake, Cedar Lake...

You know, when I think about it, I hope my job WON'T really be full-time! Sure as hell not this bug work, otherwise I'm going to have to hire a full-time chiropractor!

Jonathon
Pryal74March 1st, 2011, 12:57 pm
Escanaba, MI

Great photos Jonathon! If you have some time, you could go wrestle in a big Steelie. If you venture out, please let us know how you do. What a great place, within walking distance too? That's phenomenal!
-James Pryal
Into The Wild Fly Fishing

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.