Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Denali Highway, day 2

Denali Highway, day 2

By Troutnut on September 15th, 2013
We slept in Sunday morning and biked up to get the remaining meat around noon. The weather and ride were as nice as the previous day's, as was the rest of the beautiful but uneventful drive back across the Denali Highway to Paxson. We saw no other caribou and many dozen hunters, underscoring just how lucky I'd been to find a bull, even such a small one.

We reached the eastern side of the highway as the sun set and the moon rose over Mount Sanford, a majestic shield volcano 90 miles to the southeast in the Wrangells. That range is occasionally visible from high points on the eastern Denali Highway, but I'd never seen it so clearly before. Just another one-of-a-kind treat from the most scenic highway on Earth.

Photos by Troutnut from Miscellaneous Alaska, Clearwater Mountains, and Denali Highway in Alaska

Closeup insects by Entoman from Mystery Creek #178 in Idaho

Female Timpanoga hecuba (Great Red Quill) Mayfly DunFemale Timpanoga hecuba (Great Red Quill) Mayfly Dun View 3 PicturesThis specimen is 14 mm. Technically this is the subspecies (Subspecies: Entomologists sometimes further divide a species into distinct groups called subspecies, which have two lower-case words on the end of their scientific name instead of one. The latter is the sub-species name. For example, Maccaffertium mexicanum mexicanum and Maccaffertium mexicanum integrum are two different subspecies of Maccaffertium mexicanum.) T. h. hecuba. The Cascades, Sierras and further West is where the other subspecies (Subspecies: Entomologists sometimes further divide a species into distinct groups called subspecies, which have two lower-case words on the end of their scientific name instead of one. The latter is the sub-species name. For example, Maccaffertium mexicanum mexicanum and Maccaffertium mexicanum integrum are two different subspecies of Maccaffertium mexicanum.), T. h. pacifica is found. The Great Basin seems to have formed a barrier preventing any overlap in their distribution.
Collected September 15, 2013 from Mystery Creek #178 in Idaho
Added to Troutnut.com by Entoman on September 23, 2013
Female Psychoglypha alascensis (Snow Sedge) Caddisfly AdultFemale Psychoglypha alascensis (Snow Sedge) Caddisfly Adult View 3 PicturesThis specimen was 22 mm.
Collected September 15, 2013 from Mystery Creek #178 in Idaho
Added to Troutnut.com by Entoman on September 23, 2013

Comments / replies

CrepuscularSeptember 20th, 2013, 8:35 am
Boiling Springs, PA

OK Now you're just showing off! ;)
the moonrise photo is ridiculous! I love it.
Feathers5September 20th, 2013, 9:37 am
Jmd123September 20th, 2013, 4:03 pm
Oscoda, MI

Jason, those colors are just mindblowing. Do they look just like that to the naked eye as well? Your photography is superb at bring them out. Wow, words just can't describe this...Thanks so much for sharing your adventures up there!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
TroutnutSeptember 20th, 2013, 5:18 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Yes, this is what the colors look like to the naked eye. If anything, they're more vivid in person. They look fantastic in my editing software (Lightroom) but unfortunately the way jpegs and color spaces in web browsers work I can't get them to faithfully reproduce what I see on my screen. Everything on the site is a bit flatter and more muted than the real deal.

I do use a polarizing filter, which brings out deep blue skies and reduces glare in some of the pictures. So a few of them are more like what you'd see while wearing polarized sunglasses. But in general that filter usually just compensates a bit for the camera's shortcomings. No camera really does justice to these scenes.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
OldredbarnSeptember 23rd, 2013, 1:43 pm
Novi, MI

OK Now you're just showing off! ;)

I agree Eric...He hasn't gone completely native though...Once he parks the bike and gets a 4 wheeler we will never see him in the Lower 48 ever again! ;) That's a sure sign he's done.

Wonderful stuff Jason.

Spence

Riding in Valdez Creek road. We weren't the only ones with this idea. The Department of Fish & Game hotline mentioned that there were some caribou in an an area reachable from this road (several miles in), but it's in a non-motorized area. So people were accessing it via foot, bicycle, and even pack horse. Taiga found the horses very interesting.

I should of read this before I posted!
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
TroutnutSeptember 23rd, 2013, 2:57 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Once he parks the bike and gets a 4 wheeler

Never!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
MartinlfSeptember 23rd, 2013, 7:23 pm
Palmyra PA

Great photos. In addition to the moon shot, my favorites were the tundra colors and fireweed photos.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.