Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Beautiful things from my "backyard"

Jmd123 has attached these 10 pictures. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.8X larger)
Nice big fat male spawning pumpkinseed
Nice big fat male spawning pumpkinseed
15-incher that nailed a "froggy popper"
15-incher that nailed a "froggy popper"
Only bluegill I have pulled from the Marsh so far, nice big male spawner
Only bluegill I have pulled from the Marsh so far, nice big male spawner
If there's anything as pretty as a brookie, it's a spawning male pumpkinseed!
If there's anything as pretty as a brookie, it's a spawning male pumpkinseed!
Blue-eyed grass, a member of the iris family
Blue-eyed grass, a member of the iris family
Showy orchis - first one I've ever seen!!!
Showy orchis - first one I've ever seen!!!
"Lousewort" - an ugly name for a beautiful plant
"Lousewort" - an ugly name for a beautiful plant
YEEEE-HAAAW!!!
YEEEE-HAAAW!!!
A plate full of yummy!!!
A plate full of yummy!!!
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...
Jmd123June 2nd, 2011, 11:40 pm
Oscoda, MI

Here are some lovely fish, tasty mushrooms, and rare orchids (& other wildflowers) that I encountered today and last Monday during, and on the way to, fishing trips in Clark's Marsh. Enjoy!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
KonchuJune 3rd, 2011, 12:29 am
Site Editor
Indiana

Thanks. Already missing the morels of spring here in Hoosier land.
Jmd123June 3rd, 2011, 1:20 am
Oscoda, MI

You don't have any there in Indiana? I once found them in Texas! (Barton Creek Greenbelt in Austin - if they're there they could be anywhere...)

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Jmd123June 3rd, 2011, 1:56 am
Oscoda, MI

P.S. The orchid is listed as State Threatened in Michigan! I just sent word of it to the senior botanist at the Michigan Natural Features Inventory for some official recognition.

Jonathon
TroutnutJune 3rd, 2011, 2:13 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Aaahhhhh I may need to add a forum rule about not posting pictures of morels in the frying pan, because now I'm craving them and I don't have any! Those things are so damn good.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Jmd123June 3rd, 2011, 2:19 am
Oscoda, MI

OK, sorry guys...but don't you have some good mushrooms up there in Alaska, Jason? You know, I have a friend here who dries them - perhaps a special package is in order!! A little soak in warm water and they're ready to fry...

Jonathon
TroutnutJune 3rd, 2011, 2:21 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

There are supposed to be some morels up here, but I've never found them. I don't know what other mushrooms we have, but nothing can be a good as a morel.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Jmd123June 3rd, 2011, 2:28 am
Oscoda, MI

Honey mushrooms, chanterelles, and "chicken-of-the-woods" - YUMMMMMYYYY!!!

Jonathon the "mycophagist" (or is that "fungivore"?)
PaulRobertsJune 3rd, 2011, 1:32 pm
Colorado

Very nice outing. It feels good to bring something back home with you. Hey...those sunnies and 'gills are tasty too. My son and I just had our annual sunfish hunt and family fish fry. Since we were recently burned we're hoping for morels too.
KonchuJune 3rd, 2011, 6:54 pm
Site Editor
Indiana

Plenty of morels in Indiana, just their season is past now.
Jmd123June 3rd, 2011, 8:32 pm
Oscoda, MI

Ours should be done too but everything is late this year because winter just didn't want to let go, and we've had a cool spring. I wasn't even thinking about them anymore and then there was the one sitting right next to the trail...

Paul, how do you cook your sunnies? I've heard there are supposed to be some big ones around here in some of the lakes. The ones from the Marsh don't get really big, but they're plentiful, feisty, and within walking distance (well, a good 45-minute hike, but it's a beautiful hike). I also don't think they would taste very good considering the shallow, scuzzy water they come out of, but from the local lakes they should be pretty good eating. There's supposed to be some good yellow perch fishing in Cooke Dam Pond on the Au Sable - and I've caught perch before on Woolly Buggers and KBFs. I might have to harvest a few brookies this summer too...if you troutnuts will forgive me...perhaps if I run across some of my other favorite mushrooms!

Jonathon
OldredbarnJune 10th, 2011, 11:02 am
Novi, MI

Jonathon,

I know that this isn't the food channel, but your tantalizing photos of morels seems to have hit a chord with the two homesick boys Luke & Jason and myself.

I have two.5 stories regarding the lovely tasty little treats...

1987...My fist evening in Germany for a month long stay. I was in the little town of Amorbach. I had flown all night (without sleep) to Frankfurt, hopped in a rented Fiat Uno Diesel (try driving this dream car on the autobahn), and was sitting at dinner in the Gasthaus where we were staying...My girlfriend(now wife) had a stuffed trout from the local streams, I had a guyere cheese omellete with morels again from the local woods, boiled/buttered potatos, and a local Pilsner...I'm almost in tears here...Alles hat sehr gut geschmeckt!

No.2:
perhaps if I run across some of my other favorite mushrooms!

Back-in-the-day...A fishing friend and I were going to fish and pulled up to an access site at one of our favorite loops on the South Branch Au Sable...There were cars everywhere and we almost drove off when someone walked out from the woods and said they were all hunting morels and the river was ours alone to fish.

We fished our loop and as we were walking the deer trail back to the truck we spotted the mother lode...We couldn't believe our luck. Here were these pros tromping through the woods looking for morels and bingo we run up on handfuls of them.

.5: Rusty Gates' wife Julie ran the dining room at the Lodge until this season. She grew up in the old logging town of Lovell's and knew her way around a frying pan and morels...She always had folks staying at the Lodge that found morels and she would store them in the frig for them and cook them up as a side for them and their friends at diner...A nice glass of Pinot...Yum!

Well I was looking forward to just this senario when I ran in to my fishing buddy latter and discovered that he had swapped our scrooms for a bag of weed! Ouch!!! My taste buds slammed in to the wall for some "buds"!

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123June 10th, 2011, 1:57 pm
Oscoda, MI

"Alles hat sehr gut geschmeckt!" OH JA...those Deutchlanders know how to cook their mushrooms! We visited my sister when she was in the Army in Deutchland in a town called Idar-Oberstein back in '85, and the fabulous resturant there (sorry but you're gonna get hungry) had a separate menu for just soups, 8 of them listed and three were mushroom soups! Geez, now I'm getting hungry too...

You should have sent your bud-swapping "buddy" back out to the woods for more mushrooms, then you could have enjoyed them both!! "Bummer, dude!" Fresh morels are a little harder to come by - you can grow your own weed!!

Jonathon

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.