Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Fly Boxes

Wbranch has attached these 3 pictures. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.1X larger)
The huge box on the far left is a boat box and is unique in that it can be closed and inverted and there is another two page box identical to this side - equally full of Clousers. The two silver Wheatley's are steelhead flies in the box in the middle of the frame and Atlantic salmon flies in the box to the left.  The box to the immediate right of the center Wheatley are also all hairwing steelhead flies but smaller #6 - #10.  In the two large clear boxes in the foreground are back-up stock of bonefish and crab flies and the box to the right are all Atlantic salmon dry flies.

There are a minimum of 7000 flies in the boxes, probably more than 8000 - but who's counting? HeHe!
The huge box on the far left is a boat box and is unique in that it can be closed and inverted and there is another two page box identical to this side - equally full of Clousers. The two silver Wheatley's are steelhead flies in the box in the middle of the frame and Atlantic salmon flies in the box to the left. The box to the immediate right of the center Wheatley are also all hairwing steelhead flies but smaller #6 - #10. In the two large clear boxes in the foreground are back-up stock of bonefish and crab flies and the box to the right are all Atlantic salmon dry flies.

There are a minimum of 7000 flies in the boxes, probably more than 8000 - but who's counting? HeHe!
View Full SizeView Full Size (2.3X larger)
The other one third of my fly boxes - the long green box is all shrimp & crab patterns for bonefish and permit. The large opague gray box on the upper left is big striper and shark flies as well as barracuda flies and big poppers and I can see about a dozen grasshoppers too.
The other one third of my fly boxes - the long green box is all shrimp & crab patterns for bonefish and permit. The large opague gray box on the upper left is big striper and shark flies as well as barracuda flies and big poppers and I can see about a dozen grasshoppers too.
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.1X larger)
A close-up of four of my six C&F boxes. The two boxes in the upper row are various PMD emergers, duns, and spinners and also a gazillion cinnamon CDC caddis adults, pupa, and spent caddis.  THe bottom left hand box is all Ep dorothea (Sulfur) emergers, duns, and spinners in #18 - #22.  There is a Myran box for the #16 duns and emergers and a larger 4" x 6" box for Ep invaria #14.  I've got my boxes set-up to be hatch specific.  Separate boxes for every hatch that I encounter on the Delaware system and the Montana tailwaters and spring creeks.
A close-up of four of my six C&F boxes. The two boxes in the upper row are various PMD emergers, duns, and spinners and also a gazillion cinnamon CDC caddis adults, pupa, and spent caddis. THe bottom left hand box is all Ep dorothea (Sulfur) emergers, duns, and spinners in #18 - #22. There is a Myran box for the #16 duns and emergers and a larger 4" x 6" box for Ep invaria #14. I've got my boxes set-up to be hatch specific. Separate boxes for every hatch that I encounter on the Delaware system and the Montana tailwaters and spring creeks.
WbranchFebruary 13th, 2013, 10:02 am
York & Starlight PA

Sorry for posting my picture here relative to the "Fly Boxes" thread but when I post in the regular forum my pictures come up thumbnail size and don't enlarge when you click on them. This is most of my fly boxes although I know there are two boxes of Clouser minnows and one box of Sucker spawn, Glo-bugs, and Blood dots down in my closet in the garage but was just too lazy to go get them.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Feathers5February 13th, 2013, 10:05 am
Posts: 287You better start tying, buddy, it looks like your short a few flies for the new year. Ha! Ha!
I know how they add up for sure. My boxes would cover a queen size bed.
Bruce

PS. Don't your dry fly hackels get matted in those C & F style boxes?
WbranchFebruary 13th, 2013, 10:26 am
York & Starlight PA

Bruce,

"PS. Don't your dry fly hackels get matted in those C & F style boxes?"

No, because I never put winged dries in the swing leaf page and all the dries in the front and rear, deeper, covers are no larger than #16 and most are #18 - #22.

I just hate it when I smash delicate CDC or turkey flat wings or bend nicely split microfibbet tails. I never crowd the flies into the compartments of the Dewitt boxes. I try and nor put more than 6 - 8 #14's and less as the hook size gets bigger.
OldredbarnFebruary 13th, 2013, 11:15 pm
Novi, MI

Damn Matt! I'm not so surprised about the number of flies there, but you are so organized! I am impressed sir...I could use a little of that in my fly tying life. Ok I could use alot.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
WbranchFebruary 14th, 2013, 5:28 am
York & Starlight PA

Spence wrote,

"I'm not so surprised about the number of flies there, but you are so organized! I am impressed sir."

Yep, I'm very fastidious about the appearance of all my boxes and especially the C&F boxes. Two reasons; when friends are around and I open it they always anxious to grab the boxes out of my hands and oogle all my handiwork and admittedly I get pleasure from that. The other reason being since the very design of the rows and slits lends itself to at least some organization I can load the boxes hatch specific and by life cycle stage. Say 3 rows for nymphs, 4 rows for emergers, 4 rows for duns, and 3 rows for spinners. Then as I expend flies I'll see what empty slits need to be re-filled. I also just enjoy organizing the boxes over the winter when I'm not fishing.
FalsiflyFebruary 14th, 2013, 2:21 pm
Hayward, WI.

Yep, I'm very fastidious about the appearance of all my boxes

Matt, you have once again exposed yourself.....(♍)
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
WbranchFebruary 14th, 2013, 2:47 pm
York & Starlight PA

"Matt, you have once again exposed yourself.....(♍)"

Yes, I was a closet fly freak but now I've come out and you all know the truth of my afflictions!
Jmd123February 14th, 2013, 11:07 pm
Oscoda, MI

Matt, your level of organization AND productivity are both impressive! Looks like you are ready for anything and everything! Truth be known, I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum - I work out of maybe 6-8 fly boxes during any given year. But, they are all flies that work for my local conditions and I don't have the income to do much travelling these days. I assume that every box in there has found some use to you on some day within the past few years...or are you just padding your collection to impress us?

;oD

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.