Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > A Little Friendly Competition

MartinlfDecember 8th, 2010, 12:59 pm
Palmyra PA

Hey, I just took Trout Unlimited's quiz, "You Don't Know TROUT!" Think you can beat my score? Take the quiz here:

http://www.youdontknowtrout.com/.

You'll also be entered in their grand prize drawing to win a Dream Fishing Trip on the Big Horn River in Montana and a great fly fishing gear package from Orvis!

OK, I didn't do as well as I thought I would, 6/10. I'll bet Spence can beat me with one hand stuck in his vest. But I'll issue the challenge all the same and ask folks to post up their scores and put me to shame. Just for fun. And if anyone wins the trip, you have to take me, right?
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
RleePDecember 8th, 2010, 1:14 pm
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

I got em all. But that doesn't mean I know anything about trout. It only means my photographic memory is working pretty well today, which means that the most recent change in my meds must be kicking in...:)

"And if anyone wins the trip, you have to take me, right?"

Take you where...:)?
OldredbarnDecember 8th, 2010, 7:03 pm
Novi, MI

Louis,

You know I at least got question number 10 correct, eh?! :)

I missed the Sockeye numbers in Bristol Bay Alaska question. I should of emailed Jason before I answered it! I was up there in 1973 in Girdwood, the last stop on the Hippie train, and may have not been in the best frame of mind for keeping count of fish...:) "Where was I man? Damn! One thousand one, one thousand two...You made me lose my train of thought here...Quit making me laugh man! Shit that looked like ten that just slipped by...Ssssh! Stop it! I'm going to have to start all over again, man! One, two, three,..."

The local grocery store was called "Munchies and Things" and I worked at the Alyeska ski lodge there where I met a girl we nicknamed "Far-Out Sally" because she said "Far-Out" after everything someone said..."I'm from Detroit."...Far-Out! "My friends and I are going to party tonight at the Crow Mountain Creek Lodge." Far-Out! "I just cut off my little finger here in the meat slicer!" Far-Out!

Then there was "Busty Pat", the cutie I spent my evenings at the aforementioned Lodge pursuing...She was sweet boys, in her blue jeans, men's work boots, over-sized wool sweaters, and "a balcony you could do Shakespeare from!"...No, I wouldn't of been the best choice for fish counting back then...

But hey...If I win Louis it's you and me man out west and who knows...we may find one of those troutbum guides with seeds all over the floor of his pick-up! :)

Spence

As an aside: My trip to Alaska was pre-pipeline and my buddy and I were on a public bus that had a bumper sticker just above the head of the driver that said "Sierra Club Go Home!" Sarah Palin was about 9 years old then...I better be careful here before our banned buddy "Trtkllr" turns me in and has me shipped off to Cuba...
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Shawnny3December 9th, 2010, 10:51 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

I got 6, and a few of those were lucky guesses. But some of the questions seemed a little obscure. I understand the point of it, though, to educate people on the importance of what TU does. Good stuff. Thanks for sharing, Louis - I enjoyed it.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
FalsiflyDecember 9th, 2010, 10:58 am
Hayward, WI.

You know I at least got question number 10 correct, eh?! :)

Spence, you skewed my result by giving me an unfair advantage. 8/10. I can adamantly claim that I knew the answer, but being a fisherman, who we all know never has a tendency to exaggerate; I now must question whether I was subconsciously induced. So with all fairness to myself I will settle for 7/10. Thanks!
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
OldredbarnDecember 9th, 2010, 12:05 pm
Novi, MI

Spence, you skewed my result by giving me an unfair advantage

Allan,

Sorry! :(

Actually I'm also an angler not too prone to exaggerate...spin a bit yes, but for the most part I tell the truth (as he knows it :))and I think you shouldn't be so hard on yourself because you are a 10-for-10 in our collective books! You will forever remember the answer, eh, and that's how learning works...

Maybe one day you can stand in front of old George Griffith's dock there on the Mainstream Au Sable (the Holy Water as we say) and see it for yourself...There is a small rock there with a plaque embedded in it explaining the whole thing. George also had a large sign attached to a small flag pole for the benefit of the canoers that said something to remind us that we should leave the river as we found it. "LET NO ONE SAY AND SAY IT TO YOUR SHAME THAT ALL WAS BEAUTY HERE UNTIL YOU CAME"

His book, "For the Love of Trout", though hard to find, is worth a read and all the dough went in to his Foundation he created to help the river. The property went to TU after awhile but was recently sold. The name of his place was "The Barbless Hook".

Anyway! Sorry if I messed thinks up and thanks for obviously reading my posts since you put me and the river together, as Louis was also hinting at.

Let's hope that one of us wins something...

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
DitchDecember 9th, 2010, 12:33 pm
Fuquay-Varina NC

7/10 better than i figured i would do.

Phil
There are no bad fishing days.
MotroutDecember 9th, 2010, 4:38 pm
Managed 8/10.... Missed the Red Quill Spinner question and the Bristol Bay salmon one.

I can't believe they even asked what river "A River Runs Through it" was set on.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
Aaron7_8December 9th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Helena Montana

Quizzes are hillarious I guessed on about half of them and got 8/10. They always through in a one inch putt with some truely difficult(except for maybe biologists) questions. however they always make me laugh.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.