Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Bamboo rods

ClmingoJuly 6th, 2010, 6:44 pm
Yeagertown,Pa

How many forum members fish or like to fish with bamboo rods? I my self like to fish with bamboo.
“There are no great men. Just great challenges which ordinary men,out of necessity, are forced by circumstance to meet.”

Admiral (Bull) Halsey Jr.

CaseyPJuly 6th, 2010, 7:36 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

i love to fish with my bamboo rod, but i have been warned about using it in extreme temperatures. not too cold, not too hot (hot cars are bad!). the result is that i usually leave it home, afraid it will freeze or cook. am i being too much of a chicken? what do you think?
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
ClmingoJuly 6th, 2010, 8:30 pm
Yeagertown,Pa

CaseyP,

Get the darn thing out and fish it. I have fished my rods in all kinds of temps.If its a hot day when I fish before work I bring it in and put it in my locker. My coworkers looked at me a little strange at first but they know much of a ffing nut I am. I will not fish my silk lines in -0 temps then again I don't like to fish much in -0 temps any how.
“There are no great men. Just great challenges which ordinary men,out of necessity, are forced by circumstance to meet.”

BobbygJuly 7th, 2010, 9:45 am
North Carolina

I love and fish bamboo rods exclusively.

Most times I go fishing with a couple of rods, just in case!!
If it is a very hot day I just wrap the spare rod, and the spare tip, in a blanket or large towel. No problems! I fish in rather cold temps also, but not when it's cold enough for the water to freeze in the guides. Just asking for trouble there, in my opinion.

I would be glad to answer any questions (if I can) about bamboo rods
from anyone considering them.

Bob
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."

- Henry David Thoreau
CaseyPJuly 7th, 2010, 10:02 am

thanks, folks! i am encouraged. it's a nifty rod that i've never had a long distance release with--i guess its soft tip has something to do with that. it's just not possible to try to horse the fish with it.
BobbygJuly 7th, 2010, 10:40 am
North Carolina

What make and model rod do you own Casey?
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."

- Henry David Thoreau
ClmingoJuly 7th, 2010, 5:19 pm
Yeagertown,Pa

Bobbyg,

I have three bamboo rods one Dreamcatcher and one that I built. I took George Mauer class about five years ago. My Dreamcatcher is 7'9" 5# the one I built with George is 8'6# Trout Bum what a great rods or should I say tappers. I think I'm going to have Dreamcatcher build me two more rods a 6'3' 3 piece 4# and a 8'6" 3 piece 6#. That is going to be a 3 to 4 year plan. And I have my granddads old Heddon witch I should get redone.

BobbygJuly 7th, 2010, 6:07 pm
North Carolina

George Maurer was a fine and gifted builder of excellent bamboo rods.
I'm sure your Dreamcatcher and the one you built under George's tutelage are excellent fishing tools!

I'm most interested in your Granddad's Heddon.

Please tell us about it.

Bob

- Henry David Thoreau
ClmingoJuly 7th, 2010, 7:37 pm
Yeagertown,Pa

Bobbyg'

Pap was born in 1893 and past away 7/5/86, He was a vet of WWI. He and a friend started ffing in the mid to late 20's with wets I would guess . I don't know wat kind of rods they started out with.I think he got the Heddon mid to late 30's or 40's. We have a pic of pap and his friend standing in Penns creek taken in 37 or 38 or may be latter, I often wounder if the rod thats in his hands is not the Heddon that I have now its 8' 2/2.The cork is still in good shape for being 60 + years old.The finish and guides need the most work. I do want to get it redone some time I would love to fish that rod on Penns.

CaseyPJuly 7th, 2010, 8:44 pm

What make and model rod do you own Casey?--bobbyg

It's a Pine River 7 1/2' 4 wt built by Steve Pennington. he was a forester in Indiana until he retired a few years ago, and he had this neat idea that bamboo should be accessible for everyone. he built and sold bamboo rods for the fun of it, asking a very modest price. i met him at a FFF Conclave in Bozeman, MT. he was selling his rods to make the cost of his trip out there. he is a persuasive gent, and after some sweet talk i tried out the rod in the parking lot. sold! it's one of those wonderfully slow rods that make the whole act of fishing more of a ballet than a battle. everyone i show it to is amazed at the finish, too. it's a honey! Coldwater Collectibles sometimes has one or two.
BobbygJuly 8th, 2010, 6:03 am
North Carolina

Clmingo,

A Heddon 8' 2 piece is a somewhat rare and desirable rod.
It would be classified as a Featherweight built on the 0F (14/64ths)
ferrule. It would have been, and still would be, perfect for fishing Penn's Creek! Will you describe the rod? Especially the guide wrap colors. Are the inkings on the rod still readable? This particular rod build is favored by many Heddon afficianados. Would love to see some photos.

Casey,

I've looked at Mr. Pennington's rods on Jim Bresko's Cold Water Collectibles site. They would appear to be fine rods for the money.
I've never handled one.

Don't be apprehensive about fishing it!

Bob

- Henry David Thoreau
ClmingoJuly 8th, 2010, 5:48 pm
Yeagertown,Pa

Bobbyg,

I made a mistake it's 8' 3/2 it was redone in the 60's so the wraps are not original. Do you know any one that would refinish the rod for me? Its at my moms right now, I will be going home in two weeks I'll get some pics then. The reason I know it is a Heddon is that pap call it "His trusty old Heddon or Old Miss Heddon"

BobbygJuly 9th, 2010, 4:45 am
North Carolina

Clmingo,

I do know some folks who would refinish the rod for you.
Let me know when you have it in hand and can better describe it.
Photos always are of help.

Bob

- Henry David Thoreau
SlateDrake9July 10th, 2010, 12:44 pm
Potter County, PA

Bamboo is about all I fish, unless it's so cold that I'll get ice in the guides and on the line. Just think it's an easy way to break a tip. In these situations, I pull out some of my first generation Orvis graphite rods. Almost as nice to fish with. Something nice about that ugly grey graphite, just not as nice as bamboo.
Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.
-- Slate Drake
GutcutterJuly 10th, 2010, 1:55 pm
Pennsylvania

mine is a custom "tonka queen" 5wt reconfigured to a 4wt (prototype) and named L/A - limestone assassin by the builder. he is my dentist and gave it to me as a gift. that was his 39th rod.
it is the most accurate rod i can cast at fifty feet or less. i only break it out for midges and tricos as i love to fish my other rods, too. i will be using the L/A for the next month or so...
gut
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
BobbygJuly 10th, 2010, 3:01 pm
North Carolina

Gutcutter,

I own a 7'9" Tonka Queen that is perfect with a DT5.

How was your rod "reconfigured" to a 4 weight?

Bob

- Henry David Thoreau
GutcutterJuly 10th, 2010, 9:26 pm
Pennsylvania

he explained it to me/dumbed it down for me like this - he took the taper from a 5wt tonka queen and figured it out for a 4wt. i have no idea how he did it. he then split, planed and finished the rod from the taper that he had worked out.
it is 7'9" (like the 5wt)and throws a dt4 well but a wf4 better.
is it just plain wrong to throw a wf line on a cane rod?
i fish it with an islander ir2 click/pawl reel which balances the outfit out very nicely.
is it just plain wrong not to use a hardy or pfluger?
either way - it casts well, fishes well and is a piece of artwork...
gut
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
BobbygJuly 11th, 2010, 11:40 am
North Carolina

Okay, I now understand. You have a rod built on the 7'9" H-I Tonka Queen taper. The taper has been tweaked to cast a 4weight.
Bah-da-bing!!

No it is not "plain wrong" to fish a weight forward line on a bamboo rod.
If that's the line the rod likes best, fish with it.

Also, it is not "plain wrong" to fish with a modern reel on a bamboo rod.
Again, many folks do. Many do prefer a period correct reel for the build of their rod though.

Bob

- Henry David Thoreau
ShantiJuly 11th, 2010, 2:55 pm
Sweden

Having a really lightweight wallet and a liking for bamboo I mostly buy second-hand. I find Pezon et Michel the safest buys, good rods!
There is also a rebuilt Arjon (old Swedish, no-longer-existing brand) 6,4 foot for a 6 wt line. From the beginning it was 9´.

For reels, I use Pflueger Medalists, and often on graphite rods as well.
Simple and functional reels. Dig them down in the desert for 15 years, dig them up and fight trout on them..
Somewhere, right now, a fish is rising.
And you´re at the computer..
BobbygJuly 11th, 2010, 3:15 pm
North Carolina

I have a lightweight wallet also Shanti.
All of my bamboo rods have been second, or maybe as many as five hands, except for two.

Some of the Pezon et Michel rods are excellent fishing tools.
Charles Ritz knew a little bit about fishing and bamboo rods!

Gotta agree with you on the Pfluegers. They just keep on keepin' on!!

Bob

- Henry David Thoreau

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.