Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > fly fishing for carp

DitchJuly 2nd, 2010, 8:49 am
Fuquay-Varina NC

I took my youngest out to try to get her started at 4(still alittle early for her i had scouted out the area before and after seeing some very large carp in the water went back to get my 8wt well the fishing did not go well with the child and we weren't there long but does anyone have suggestions to equiptment and flys for probably 20 lb carp.
There are no bad fishing days.
OldredbarnJuly 2nd, 2010, 9:57 am
Novi, MI

Ditch,

I don't chase them, but there is a growing fishery for them up near the smaller islands of Beaver Island here in MI. Go to www.indigoguideservice.com They have some cool photos of fishing around Beaver Island and some flies they prefer to use for carp. There are a few step-by-step guides for tying a few of the flies...

My suggestion for the little one would be a small rod, some small bright yellow poppers, and a good blue-gill pond...Once they get "hooked" on catching a few it won't be long that their attention is focused on fishing.

Good luck!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
MartinlfJuly 7th, 2010, 12:49 pm
Palmyra PA

As someone who has started kids on fishing and learned by trial and error, I'd recommend using whatever tackle and methods that will work best, including ye olde worms and bobbers. The key is that they catch fish, not that they learn technique. Bluegill, rock bass, sunfish, etc. etc. are the most likely candidates. Find a spot where there are plenty of these, and you have your classroom. There is a book on teaching fly fishing to children, and even it suggests starting out with bait. Once they are hooked on catching fish, if and when they want to learn about fly fishing, then you'll have success with that method.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
CaseyPJuly 8th, 2010, 2:09 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

here's some advice about taking little kids fishing from a little while ago. carp fishing also has some followers. i'll let you know if i ever catch any of the leviathans in our local ponds. we think parsely flies will do it--the fish eat a lot of weeds.

http://www.troutnut.com/topic/690
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
JADJuly 8th, 2010, 7:05 pm
Alexandria Pa

I agree with posts, at my age Ive started a few fine fisherman. Catch fish, have lots of food and drink on hand and keep outing short. Above all have fun.

Best
JAD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
MartinlfJuly 9th, 2010, 1:51 pm
Palmyra PA

As for carp, they eat Tricos on the Tulpehocken. After the trout quit, they are still sucking down spinners in the eddys, turning on their side to get them. I landed a 6-7 pound one a while back on a 24 Trico and 7x. It did take a while to net it and get the fly back.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Windknot79July 15th, 2010, 8:09 pm
on a stream

HI EVERYONE THIS IS MY FRIST POST.
I FISH CARP IN A POND CLOSE TO MY HOUSE AND THE THING WITH THIS POND IS ALOT OF PEOPLE BRING THERE KIDS TO FEED THE DUCKS.THEY FEED THE DUCKS BREAD AND THE CARP EAT THE BREAD.SO WE CHUM THE CARP WITH BREAD AND STARTED TIEING BREAD FLYS.WE WOULD SPIN WHITE DEER HAIR ON THE HOOK AND TRIM IT TO LOOK LIKE A PEACE OF BREAD.WORKS GREAT I HAVE FISH UP TO 30 POUNDS AND MY FREIND BROKE 40 WITH A 4WT.HOPE THIS HELPS TIGHT LINES WINDKNOT.
Jmd123July 15th, 2010, 9:23 pm
Oscoda, MI

Find some mulberry trees and float purple deerhair mulberry imitations under them. If they're not biting, grab a handful of real mulberries and chum for them. At least, that's what the guys on the Huron River in Ann Arbor do...

You guys can have all the carp you want. I'll stick to more attractive fish, myself. BTW, I recently caught my very first golden redhorse sucker on a fly rod...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
DitchJuly 16th, 2010, 6:57 am
Fuquay-Varina NC

carp are in Shenandoah river wide and low i keep having trouble getting down to them with out spooking them no berry trees around the are have them in my back yard. I like the bread idea i could let my girls cum while i get down there they may be some history of chumming a lot of people eat lunch up on the hill and probably through the scraps out for the cute little fishies this access is 3 miles from my house i did catch about a 15 inch fall fish under some overhang last week.
There are no bad fishing days.
Windknot79July 16th, 2010, 9:20 am
on a stream

DITCH U WANT TO BREAK THE BREAD UP TO SMALL PIECES.LET THE CARP EAT SOME AND THEN PLACE THE FLY WITH SOME MORE BREAD.YOU WILL SEE THE FISH TAKE THE FLY DON'T SET THE HOOK WAIT 2 SEC THEN SET SO THE FISH HAS THE FLY IN HIS MOUTH.I WISH U COULD ADD A PIC TO THE POST I WOULD SHOW U THE FLY.
IT'S ALSO FUN FOR THE KIDS. THE BREAD WILL BRING IN THE SUNFISH,YOU CAN TRY FOR THESE AS WELL GOOD LUCK MY FRIEND.IT'S A BLAST WHEN THOSE CARP BRING U INTO YOUR BACKING.
GutcutterJuly 18th, 2010, 11:48 am
Pennsylvania

windknot
if you want to post pictures of flies as stated in the previous response and in one of your other threads asks, then i should hope that they are photos of insects and not imitations. that is really where this site differs from others. it is a "bug" site. i would hope that you could refrain from posting a "bread bug" as we used to call them but instead submit a photo of the entire loaf in it's natural state. maybe with a little peanut butter for the sinking form (nymph?) or toasted to float high (spinner?)
welcome to the site
gut
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
Windknot79July 18th, 2010, 1:54 pm
on a stream

when u are right your right.This is a buggy site and that's great just what I need to be a better trout bum.
mike.

now I will go into the kitchen and make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich thanks.
DryflyJuly 18th, 2010, 2:51 pm
rochester mn

If your a fishing a bread fly while people are throwing bread in the water, aren't you matching the "hatch."
Jmd123July 18th, 2010, 2:55 pm
Oscoda, MI

Folks, I believe it's called chumming - see my post above about the mulberries...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
DryflyJuly 18th, 2010, 10:34 pm
rochester mn

Not, if you aren't throwing the bread in the water.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.