Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > thanks

ThomJanuary 23rd, 2007, 6:29 am
cornwall on hudson, ny

thanks for the help in idendifying my mystery fish. like i said i caught it in a small streem off the hudson where i have caught just about anything that decides to swim my way; shad, all types of bass and trout, carp, you name it i've caught it on a fly. all except a manatee (spotted at croton point last year). recently i made a trip to farmington ct where i grew up fishing from farmington to riverton and beyond. i was a little sad to see some of my favorite spots which were once gravel roads where only fishermen and highschool kids with kegs would dare to travel, were now paved and populated with new houses. it still brought back memories of my youth, fishing under the unionville bridge, and avoiding riverton for most of april and may. now i fish from the esopus to montauk, any thing on a fly, and if i dare say it here, carp in the wallkill river when things get slow. any body out there in my area let me know, always a story to share or a tale to tell. thanks again
p.s. what an amazing web site, more information and informative discussion than anyone can hope for.
GONZOJanuary 24th, 2007, 11:57 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Hi Thom,

I'm not sure that I was much help with the "odd fish" ID, but your manatee sighting is even more intriguing. Wow! And I'll try not to hold your "golden bonefish" transgressions against you. Just kidding--I've caught quite a few myself, but I won't admit to targeting them deliberately. :)

You mentioned the Esopus. Do you fish it much? Recently? I have many very fond memories of that water, but haven't been able to face it since the deluge of silt from the Schoharie Res. turned it into a sad shadow of its former self. Anything positive to report?

Gonzo
ThomJanuary 25th, 2007, 7:05 am
cornwall on hudson, ny

gonzo
havent heard a positive report on the esopus yet, then again i havent looked. last time i was up that way was arount the 1st of september, still running brown, how ever the little beverkill? (by lexington)looked quite fishable. hope that this year looks better than last for the esopus, i guess the same thing goes for the beverkill area. its no wonder why carp were so tempting.
the manatee made the news, and my neighbor said that by the end of the dry months of summer small flounder were found above newburgh. who knows what else decides to swim up this way when the water is salty enough.
thom
GONZOJanuary 25th, 2007, 9:24 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Thanks Thom,

With the flood damage and other problems, the Catskill streams and even my old Pocono homewaters have had a pretty rough go of it. Here's hoping that better days are ahead.

Gonzo

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.