Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Best fly fishing in Pennsylvaina

VinlflyfishJune 5th, 2010, 5:28 pm
northern cambria

i live in south east pa i want to Know the best native or stocked streams for great fly fishing
trout; a mans best friend
VinlflyfishJune 5th, 2010, 5:31 pm
northern cambria

i whant to fish dry flies mostly
WbranchJune 7th, 2010, 9:40 pm
York & Starlight PA

"I want, I want, I want" Yea, me to I want you to do spell check and stop the "I want" stuff because you are coming across as a real greedy guy not wanting to do anything for himself.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
GutcutterJune 8th, 2010, 6:10 am
Pennsylvania

hey vinnie
although your youthful spunk is great to see, you may want to look elsewhere for the type of info that you are after and keep an eye on this board for more advanced topics.
for example, the pa flyfishing website has a "beginner's forum" where i'm sure that your needs will be better met.
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
SlateDrake9June 8th, 2010, 7:16 am
Potter County, PA

Vinnie,

Do you even know where you are at in the world? Cambria County is South WEST PA, not SE.

Do some reading and then get yourself a map to locate the streams you read about.

But, if you can't find the county you live in on a map, you'll never find any streams that are suggested to you.
Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.
-- Slate Drake
DryflyJune 8th, 2010, 7:18 pm
rochester mn

Vinnie, If you're near a fly shop, go down there and ask for some advice. And of course ya gotta buy something.

Also, maybe check out or buy a pennsylvania fly fishing book. I'm sure there are many around. The search is half the fun, pick a spot and go check it out.

Many of us did not have it handed to us, we had to find our own spots. Do this and you'll find your own honey hole.
RleePJune 9th, 2010, 11:10 am
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

Vinnie: That's good advice from Dryfly about getting or checking a book out of the library to help you learn more about PA streams.

Any of the books by Charles Meck about Pa streams are ok and another OK book was written by Dave Wolf. But IMO, the best PA guidebook is Dwight Landis' Guide to Pennsylvania Trout Streams. There are several editions, any will suffice. You may be able to find it at your local library or on Amazon.

Finally, do not be deterred by rude people on internet message boards with hang ups about spelling...:)

Welcome to the Brotherhood Of The Feather.
VinlflyfishJune 10th, 2010, 11:18 am
northern cambria

thanks
JesseJune 12th, 2010, 10:23 am
Vinnie Vin Vin there seems to be some slightly negative responses that were thrown your way! Let me tell you something, im only 20 years old and still consider myself a big kid, still act like it too ha. But i remember when i was just getting into it and was all about the "want, want, want" and thats ok there is nothing wrong witht that. But the best advice i have to say is pretty much what dry fly said, and thats getting out there and finding out for yourself. some of the best times ive already had in my young life have came from 'hearing' about a creek, or passing one by on the road, or even just going out looking for one with a buddy or two and searching it out. Thats whats its all about buddy; the excitement of the adventure in finding that new spot. And it's always even better when you happen to find it out for yourself (plus you don't have to tell anyone about it that way too ha ;) ) Also, if it's a creek that holds little natives, whatever they may be, even if they're not trout the chances of them taking whatever dry fly that hits the water are pretty good (given the right time of year of course, summer time). Get out there bud, stop at a shop if you want more advice. Take care mayne enjoy it!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
JesseJune 12th, 2010, 10:24 am
Vinnie Vin Vin there seems to be some slightly negative responses that were thrown your way! Let me tell you something, im only 20 years old and still consider myself a big kid, still act like it too ha. But i remember when i was just getting into it and was all about the "want, want, want" and thats ok there is nothing wrong witht that. But the best advice i have to say is pretty much what dry fly said, and thats getting out there and finding out for yourself. some of the best times ive already had in my young life have came from 'hearing' about a creek, or passing one by on the road, or even just going out looking for one with a buddy or two and searching it out. Thats whats its all about buddy; the excitement of the adventure in finding that new spot. And it's always even better when you happen to find it out for yourself (plus you don't have to tell anyone about it that way too ha ;) ) Also, if it's a creek that holds little natives, whatever they may be, even if they're not trout the chances of them taking whatever dry fly that hits the water are pretty good (given the right time of year of course, summer time). Get out there bud, stop at a shop if you want more advice. Take care mayne enjoy it!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
WbranchJune 13th, 2010, 8:18 pm
York & Starlight PA

Vinnie,

I have a 1989 copy of Charlie Meck's "Pennsylvania Trout Streams and Their Hatches" - It is a great book for anyone wanting to fish PA streams and rivers and also how to locate them in whatever county and what roads they are near. He talks about hundreds of creeks, streams, amd rivers. If you want this paperback PM me your address and I'll send you the book if you are willing to pay for the postage. The postage probably wouldn't be more than $4 - $5. The book cost me $15 back in 1989.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
JOHNWJune 14th, 2010, 3:36 pm
Chambersburg, PA

Vin,
Wbranchs offer is a good one and I'll vouch for his credibility (just so you don't think he's some internet scammer angling for you hard won 5$). He has been exceedingly helpful to me in the past when exploring rivers he is familiar with but he never gives away everything. And for that I am thankful.

For future reference you will be very hard pressed to get anyone to openly offer up "native" streams because in PA the term native generally refers to Brookies and those streams are pretty vulnerable to angling pressure which could result from a public post on an internet forum.
As for "great fly fishing" don't overlook warm water fisheries as smallies and panfish can prove to be some great training for trout, not to mention they are great fun of their own accord and given you locale may be much more accessible to you.
If you are able to travel look up Spring Creek, Penns Creek, Yellow Breeches, Yellow Creek, and Little Juniata. All of those have well known populations of trout, have been written about extensively and are steeped in history.

Hope that was helpful,
john
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
VinlflyfishJune 14th, 2010, 4:23 pm
northern cambria

thanks for the help i think i got that book from the library i no a good native its on private land so my family and the owners are the only ones who fish it
VinlflyfishJune 14th, 2010, 4:24 pm
northern cambria

thanks for the help i think i got that book from the library i no a good native stream its on private land so my family and the owners are the only ones who fish it

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.