Scientific name search:

> > PA Contingent Gathering

JOHNWMay 12th, 2010, 5:51 am
Chambersburg, PA

So who is in or out on this thing?
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
MartinlfMay 12th, 2010, 8:09 am
Palmyra PA

I believe Casey has some idea of who plans to come. We have graduation that day, so I may not make it up, though I'll try to come for the evening meal if I can.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
WbranchMay 12th, 2010, 1:38 pm
York & Starlight PA

While I initially brought the idea up of a get together I had no idea that I would still be working in May. Normally I work October to the middle of April and quit my job as no one is willing to give me the hours/days I want. That is until this year. My employer has been able to adjust my schedule so I get to have the mid week off and then work Monday, Friday, and Saturday so I won't be coming out as it is too far to come for the day on Sunday. Have fun and hope the bugs are hatching and the trout are rising.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
CaseyPMay 13th, 2010, 5:21 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

JohnW, you, JAD, Gutcutter, and i are for sure. martinl and shawnny hope to be there.

there were lots more names than that on the original thread; if anyone else still wants to come, PM me for meeting places.

"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
CaseyPMay 15th, 2010, 5:40 pm

during the next week i will occasionally be off the grid. if you want to join us, try a PM to the folks we know are coming, listed in the previous post. sure hope a lot more will want to fish--it's going to be awesome!
WbranchMay 15th, 2010, 6:51 pm
York & Starlight PA

River is currently 605 cfs - isn't that way to omuch water to wade safely? anyone know how quickly it will get down to 300 cfs?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
CaseyPMay 15th, 2010, 8:00 pm

Matt, i use the feet gauge,

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?01558000

and have found that anything under three feet is okay. three feet and over is a challenge. 2 1/2 feet is ideal. the river goes down about half as fast as it goes up, usually. i've seen better weather reports, but they change too.

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?location=USPA1569
CaseyPMay 23rd, 2010, 6:31 pm

on a somewhat dull and eventually wet Saturday, the first Troutnut Fish-In was held on the Little Juniata. Shawnny, CaseyP, BHPT and Best Fishing Buddy met at JAD's trailer at Greene Hills campground. He welcomed everyone and showed off some nifty sulphur sparkle duns. The night before, he reported, he'd found some quiet water and some large trout and had an awfully good time.

After some chit-chat about how every parking space along the river was occupied, we repaired to the 305 bridge and found no one else. The river gauge claimed 2 1/2 feet, but Shawnny discovered that that was plenty of water to cope with. He managed to get to the other side of the river and found some fish. The rocks were as slippery as ever, and the bottom as uneven as ever, but outside of getting rather wet, he suffered no harm. We saw no fish rising but some had a little luck with nymphs. Shawnny caught the most fish, Best Fishing Buddy came next, and the rest of us will hope to do better next year.

Gave up at the end of the afternoon when the rainstorm failed to produce the hoped-for massive rise. There was an odd moment when the rain started to come down hard and I did my best walk-on-water act back to the car lickety split. Everyone thought I'd turned to sugar, but actually I'd just forgotten my rain jacket. Best Fishing Buddy and JAD stood under a tree while I did my best to catch the two rising fish we did see, but even this peanut gallery did not entice the fish to show how well they can bite BWO and caddis imitations.

We went back to the trailer for Shawnny to get dry and changed and on his way back to home and family. After a thorough discussion of the State of the Nation, the rest of us repaired to the Main St. Cafe where we enjoyed conversation, beer, and Buffalo Fries. After suitable refreshment, we all hopped into our respective vehicles, and checked out the stream and possible hatches. There was a sparse sulphur hatch and a few rising fish, but not enough to get back into the soggy waders, so no one actually stopped to fish more, in spite of JAD's kind invitation.

Next year we have to do this again, with more people. We also need a better chronicler or perhaps some better anglers because this is one very dull fishing report.
MartinlfMay 24th, 2010, 9:07 am
Palmyra PA

Sounds like some exceptionally good company. Sorry to miss it; graduation at the school where I work got in the way for me. Glad you folks caught some fish!

--Fred Chappell
LastchanceMay 24th, 2010, 3:04 pm
Portage, PA

I never gave it a second thought because of the water was running high and fast. I hope next year to join you guys.
Bruce
GutcutterMay 25th, 2010, 5:33 am
Pennsylvania

sorry that i missed it. the cfs reading was a bit too much for my style of fishing...
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
Shawnny3May 25th, 2010, 5:42 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Yes, that was fun. Thanks to all who came for a good time fishing and chatting. I fortunately brought a change of clothes because I knew my waders had a small hole in the left leg, but on a few occasions while wading some fast water I forgot about the somewhat larger hole at the very top of my waders. Just a few seconds of its exposure to the Little J flows were enough for me to pack out about an extra 50 pounds of water weight to the car.

While the fishing was slow, the little action I got on sulphur nymphs was enough to keep it interesting. Certainly not lucrative fishing that day, but it was more about the company than the fish, and that aspect was really quite pleasant. Just a few of John's anecdotes about Louis made it well worth the trip. I hope to see you all (and more?) again next year.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
QuillgordonMay 26th, 2010, 11:40 am
Schuylkill County, PA.

I think you have to make it a 'weekend event'...... one day isn't sufficient considering drive time & weather issues!
Anyway, thanks for the report. There is more to fishing, than catching fish..... I'm sure you agree!
Qg.
Flyfishing is a state of mind! .............. Q.g.

C/R........barbless
JADMay 26th, 2010, 7:05 pm
Alexandria Pa

(Next year we have to do this again, with more people. We also need a better chronicler or perhaps some better anglers because this is one very dull fishing report.)

I'm a little slow at the post, I had a fun time putting the faces with the names, I'm still eating some great left-over cookies.
The fish did what I instructed them to do ---lay low because I knew that Casey would post results. Their are very few fish in the little j heck Shawnny had to jump in after them.

For they who care,the Dark vader (Teloganopsis deficiens,) has made its first appearance.

JAD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
MartinlfMay 27th, 2010, 12:11 pm
Palmyra PA

Shawn,

In case you were not aware, John is almost pathologically immune to veracity, so you may wish to regard any stories he tells, or fishing reports, with more than a grain of salt.

--Louis

--Fred Chappell
Shawnny3May 27th, 2010, 4:49 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

You should have been there to ensure the truth was told. In the absence of dissenting opinions, I was forced to accept his whoppers as fact, or near enough to it.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
JADMay 28th, 2010, 5:10 am
Alexandria Pa

EVEN THOUGHT I HAD TO LOOK UP (veracity),WHEN A PAINTER PAINTS A PICTURE he can use any colors he chooses.

My nickle worth.
JaD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.