Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Worth the wiggle?, Page 2

DOSMarch 31st, 2009, 10:27 pm
Buffalo, NY

Greenghost,

That does sound like a pretty darn good way to get some information on what the trout prefer. However, I can think of at least one variable that might get in the way and that would be depth of the flies within the water column. But honestly, I can't imagine a 12in spread between nymphs making a world of difference.

I might give this a try while out fishing tomorrow!
Andrew Nisbet
Shawnny3April 1st, 2009, 6:43 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

Thanks, Gonzo. Glad you like the pattern. I've (over?)complicated it since (which you may like - a little more realistic), and in time I'll put up some of those patterns if they fish well. But I like the generic pattern the best. Not only does it fish well but also only takes about 1 minute to tie, so you can toss it into the nastiest places near the bank without any worry of snapping it off.

Even though the Curlies aren't wiggle flies per se, I like to think that the fly treads some new ground in that even when it doesn't tumble in the current, it has the illusion of movement. As you well know, though, you're always fondest of your own patterns, so maybe I have a slight bias in favor of it. But, well-founded or manufactured, I do have a lot of confidence when I tie on that green one in the dead of summer.

-Shawn

P.S. Notice, Louis, that I made no mention of the Unspeakable Fly in my post. Hence, you may relent.
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
GONZOApril 1st, 2009, 7:09 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Notice, Louis, that I made no mention of the Unspeakable Fly in my post.

Shawn, I was sorely tempted to make some smart-ass comment about the suggestive first line in Prof. Honeybug's post. But then I decided (wisely, I think) not to go there. I'm glad that you exercised similar restraint. :)
PatcrisciApril 1st, 2009, 9:53 am
Lagrangeville, NY

Gonzo, your flies are fabulous! I had not looked closely at the contest pages until now. Nor did I know that you are the author of a well-received book on fly tying. Now, I can see that your flies are well conceived, executed, and apparently, much loved by discerning trout.

My tying philosophy... I strive to tie flies that are impressionistic -- more suggestive of insect life in general, than they are imitative of a specific insect; and utilitarian, in that I regard them as functional and practical tools more than aesthetic works of art.

Your flies combine the best of these worlds. I admire your integrity and artistic talents. And your book looks fascinating... when and how did you come to write it?
Pat Crisci
GONZOApril 1st, 2009, 10:14 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

...I can see that your flies are...much loved by discerning trout.

Thank you very much, Pat, but I rather doubt that last part. Whatever fleeting affection the trout initially display seems to fade pretty quickly when they are hooked. Most of them seem pretty PO'd by the time I get them to hand.

...when and how did you come to write it?

It was published in 2005, and the "how" was entirely accidental on my part. The credit (or blame?) for that accident goes the good graces of Ed Koch.
Shawnny3April 1st, 2009, 1:02 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

I agree, Gonzo, that the restraint we've shown is admirable. I made allusion to the Unspeakable Fly, when really it's only one in a whole class of "patterns" Louis fishes. Perhaps I should have been more specific and said Unspeakable Fly #3, lest other readers wonder which fly I'm not talking about.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
TroutnutApril 1st, 2009, 3:41 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Pat, you've got to get Gonzo's book! He's too humble to hawk it himself, but it's really the best book about our sport to come along in many years. The flies are great, but there's a short section on fish behavior (Chapter 2: Principles of Fly Selection) that's even better.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
McjamesApril 1st, 2009, 5:09 pm
Cortland Manor, NY

Pat here are some pics of my cheap knockoff of one of Gonzo's superb patterns:
http://www.troutnut.com/topic/1832#12348

I substitute alot of materials... if I dont already have the material, I just sift through my stuff and find something close.
I am haunted by waters
GONZOApril 1st, 2009, 5:13 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

If that's a cheap knockoff, James, I'd hate to see what you tie when you really try! Fine work.
MartinlfApril 1st, 2009, 8:45 pm
Palmyra PA

You guys are killing me. Gonzo, I've already rung just about every chime that can be played on the curly worm topic. Perhaps while you were skiing. We had drooping worms, upright worms, and I think some comments about condoms found their way into the thread. But if you have something new . . .
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
PatcrisciApril 2nd, 2009, 5:52 am
Lagrangeville, NY

Hey Mcjames -- love your "knockoff" nymph. You nailed it, man. Also, it appears we are be neighbors, almost. I live in Lagrangeville, in Dutchess County. You're in Cortland Manor? in Northern Westchester County, near Peekskill and Putnam Valley, my old stomping grounds. If you ever want to meet to fish in the Catskills, I'm game.
Pat Crisci
McjamesApril 2nd, 2009, 7:23 am
Cortland Manor, NY

Ha! Gonzo I meant "cheap" to mean "inferior", not "lack of effort"...
I spend way more time on these than makes any sense at all.

Pat-- yes I live just south of Peekskill. I would love to get out sometime. This Spring will be tricky-- my wife is due on April 19 (terrible timing, I know, my buddy's response to the news of the due date was "rookie mistake").

I am haunted by waters
PatcrisciApril 2nd, 2009, 8:35 am
Lagrangeville, NY

Congrats mcjames, on the news of your child on the way. Once you get settled into your new routine and you are ready to break out, let me know and we can hook up if you like.
Pat Crisci
TroutnutApril 2nd, 2009, 9:11 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Pat-- yes I live just south of Peekskill. I would love to get out sometime. This Spring will be tricky-- my wife is due on April 19 (terrible timing, I know, my buddy's response to the news of the due date was "rookie mistake").

Hilarious! And great advice for all of us who don't have kids just yet.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
McjamesApril 2nd, 2009, 11:10 am
Cortland Manor, NY

yes... that's a case of a "wiggling nymph" hurting, not helping, the fishing...
I am haunted by waters
Shawnny3April 2nd, 2009, 1:06 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

yes... that's a case of a "wiggling nymph" hurting, not helping, the fishing...

Well put.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
Shawnny3April 2nd, 2009, 4:36 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

McJames, my wife had our first on April 22, so I feel your pain, er... joy. I can't be held fully responsible, though, because he was 6 weeks premature. Let's hope you did it right, though, and slipped the Y-chromosome in there. Otherwise, your Aprils henceforth will be filled with princesses and ponies. At least if it's a boy, you can use his birthday to buy him rods, vests, or boots and then have to take him to the stream so he can try them out.

Your story reminds me of a conversation I had with one of my brothers when his second was born. He called to let me know, and I immediately asked, "Is it a boy or a girl?" To which he replied, "Strike Two."

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
McjamesApril 3rd, 2009, 5:06 am
Cortland Manor, NY

Well Shawn its strike 2 for me as well-- its a girl. But so far, my 5 yr old daughter is very much anti princess an pro fishing, so all hope is not lost!
I am haunted by waters
PatcrisciApril 3rd, 2009, 6:09 am
Lagrangeville, NY

There you go! Bring 'em up on Joan Wulff!
Pat Crisci
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.