Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Western Fly fishing in Arizona Oak Creek

AndrewMarch 17th, 2009, 5:45 pm
Surprise AZ

I am interested in any information on some good fishing on Oak Creek, i have fished it several times and seen many fish but the crowds were too much. however i have heard that this time of year there is some great fishing. So i am looking for some good information on locations so far the only fishing i have been able to access is of Hwy 89A and the water is very narrow and thin most of the time in these locations. all info would be greatly appriciated.
Avid fly tyer, fly fisherman and bird hunter with little time to do what he loves to do when he wants to do it.working hard to fullfill my outdoor loves and aspirations.
DOSMarch 17th, 2009, 7:02 pm
Buffalo, NY

I've driven past it, even waded in it.... but never fished it. Supposedly its one of the best trout streams in the southwest and its near Phoenix, which would explain all the company you described. If I remember correctly its rt. 89A that runs along the creek for many miles and offers the only public access. I was there two years ago about this time and I don't remember seeing many anglers so I hope you can find some solitude. This water, like you said, is quite small, but just looked incredibly fishy, offering mostly casts of about 10ft to small pocket water where due to minimal flows, trout likely spend their entire lives. Highsticking heavy nymphs, like a weighted hairsear is a great choice for this type of water. Also, I think shortly there should be grass hoppers in the thousands and that would be an excellent dry fly choice.

I think there is a western fork, I don't know anything about, which requires a hike but does have wild browns and bows, unlike the main branch which is stocked twice a month, from March to January.

Hope this helps!
Andrew Nisbet
DOSMarch 17th, 2009, 7:07 pm
Buffalo, NY

http://www.myriverguide.com/scripts/four.asp?ID=19944&TYPE=FLYFISHING

and I just found this website that suggests "a good place to start is near the confluence with the West Fork of Oak Creek and work your way down through the pools and riffles".
Andrew Nisbet
AndrewMarch 18th, 2009, 5:17 pm
Surprise AZ

Andrew,
Thanks for the site and the information too i will try the westen fork and let you know how it is. I can tell you this the hatchs. i have encountered on this creek where great but very difficult to fish. the fish get very skittish about mid season due to all the people. All though one evening last year i got into one of the best Trico hatchs i've ever seen thus far in all my fly fishing in Arizona.
Avid fly tyer, fly fisherman and bird hunter with little time to do what he loves to do when he wants to do it.working hard to fullfill my outdoor loves and aspirations.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.