Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > please identify these insecets! salmon river ct

Pookie025 has attached these 6 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (5.1X larger)
Pookie025March 21st, 2015, 6:40 pm
Posts: 2Today i turned over some rocks and found these insects. Im having a hard time identifying them. Also can you please recommend what fly to use. Thanks
MiltRPowellMarch 21st, 2015, 9:16 pm
Posts: 106Hello, I'm guessing, your photo's, I myself cannot see it good & it small. Early swimming nymph, crawler, guess, swimming Ephemerella.,subvaria. Go to this site & look at the hatchs. You have it fresh in your head, you'll find it. Try what I thought it could be.
Then take it from there., put the work in you'll find it. Or maybe one of the guy's later will help ya. This early, ah!!, look at Troutnuts nice work him & others have posted. That is part fishing on the fly
finding, looking, & scraching the top of your head,huh!!!!
good luck, later Milt.
flyfishingthecreekM.R.P.
MillcreekMarch 21st, 2015, 11:38 pm
Healdsburg, CA

From the top your first picture is a stonefly, probably a Taeniopterygidae. Your second picture no idea what it could be, the third is a mayfly of some sort, the fourth and fifth are two different caddisflies, and the sixth is a repeat of the second.
Pookie025March 22nd, 2015, 11:54 am
Posts: 2I want to take better pictures. What do you guys reconmend for a camera setup. Thanks

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.
Most Recent Posts
Re: large free living caddis rhyacophila?
In the Identify This! Board by Kjfeen (Taxon replied)