or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Kish creek

Report at a Glance

General Regionmifflin county,Pa
Specific LocationYeagertown area
Time of Day05:30 till 10:00
Fish Caughtbrown trout
Conditions & HatchesA few summer blue quills not many.

Details and Discussion

ClmingoJuly 19th, 2010, 4:36 pm
Yeagertown,Pa

Fished kish creek on Friday 7/16 the temp was 66,I fished from 05:30 till 10:00 hooked between 15&20 fish landed 14 of them.The bigest was about 18". I was fishing green and tan walts worms. useing very little weight and a12' leader.

Has any one else been doing any good on kish this time of year? or how many members fish kish?
“There are no great men. Just great challenges which ordinary men,out of necessity, are forced by circumstance to meet.”

Admiral (Bull) Halsey Jr.

Flatstick96July 20th, 2010, 8:09 am
I live about 1,600 miles away, so I don't get there often, but I HAVE fished Kish, and I REALLY like it. From what I've read, I gather that it isn't "managed" as well as the other "big" limestoners in central PA, and I know that many people lament that fact - but that's probably what allows it to fly under the radar of the non-locals...

I enjoyed it every bit as much as streams like Penns, BFC, Spring, and the little J, but it doesn't get anywhere near the recognition that those streams do. I'll be back in State College in a couple weeks for my annual trout "fix", and I've been anxiously watching the weather up there this summer, just hoping the temps of the trout streams are in the "fishable" range while I'm there. Kish is one of the streams that I'd been thinking I might try to get to on this trip, so it's good to hear that it is holding temp better than some of the other big name streams...

Last time I fished Kish (two years ago I think) I did best with an Iso nymph.
Shawnny3July 20th, 2010, 3:40 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

My biggest problem with Kish is that the fish are stockies, while I can catch wild fish on all those other streams mentioned. Due to its put-and-take nature, Kish gets creamed by the bait fishermen in early season (they've got some hatchery-fish tourney that goes on there in April when the fish are stacked up and starved for dog chow), but after those first few weeks, I don't even think the locals bother much with it. But it has some nice-looking water and fishes well in summer in my (limited) experience with it.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Flatstick96July 20th, 2010, 4:33 pm
Yeah, that's of course what I'm referring to when I say that it isn't particularly well managed. But it's got some gorgeous water, and I'm sure I'd find some nice wild fish there if I ever had the time to explore it more fully.

Better get your affairs in order there, Shawnny - we're less than one week away!
ClmingoJuly 20th, 2010, 7:00 pm
Yeagertown,Pa

Flatstick96 and Shawnny3,

I live a short walk from Kish creek, it's in alot better shape now than in the early 70's. When raw sewage went right into the creek.

I don't think the hatchs are like they were in the past.The old timers talked about the green drake being so thick that they keep the dust bown on the road between Reedsville and Yeagertown.
“There are no great men. Just great challenges which ordinary men,out of necessity, are forced by circumstance to meet.”

Admiral (Bull) Halsey Jr.

MartinlfSeptember 2nd, 2010, 5:17 pm
Palmyra PA

Hope Kish is still fishing well; a guy I know is thinking of giving it a try soon. If anyone's been on it lately, let us know how it's fishing.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.