Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > The vanishing wet fly

GoofusBugJanuary 6th, 2009, 7:39 pm
Posts: 31So I am reading an old 1950s era fishing book by Maynard Reece. Great illustrations.

In the flies section, Maynard gives equal time to dries, wets, nymphs, streamers and terrestrials.

These days I seem to hear of fishermen using everything but the wet flies. The classic silver doctor or mormon girl patterns have gone by the wayside. About the only "wet flies" I hear being used are soft hackles.

Any wet fly afishyanados out there?
Wetfly1January 7th, 2009, 7:41 am
Johnstown, Pa

Yea, there is a lot of articles being written about the soft hackles and they have become very popular all over. And they are great fish takers and not to mention easy to tie. I have been fishing just nothing but wet flies for the last 20yrs and my patterns are a cross between a traditional wet and a soft hackle wet. What I've done is taken older wet fly patterns and some that I have created myself and tweaked them to my tying style and produced some pretty good results on the stream. But I still carry a few soft hackles with me. If your interested in checking out some different wet flies go to my website they might give you a few new ideas.
Dave

wetflywaterguides.com
SofthackleJanuary 7th, 2009, 7:36 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Hi,
I fish a lot of wets, too. Wingless wets are my bread and butter. The reason? Because they are so versatile. You can fish them upstream. downstream in the surface or just below. You can fish them from bottom to top.

Here is an article I did for another site, but it's a good one to get started on.

Best of luck in your endeavors with the wet flies. If I can help in any way, let me know.

Mark

Wet Flies Revisited

PS-Maynard Reece is also a great artist. He has one the National Duck Stamp Contest a number of times.
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.