Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Caddisfly

Nanz has attached these 4 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
Shown Full Size
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.2X larger)
Shown Full Size
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.2X larger)
NanzJune 5th, 2008, 3:19 am
Brooklyn, NY

This caddisfly came to a UV light which I set up next to a man-made stream in a city park in Brooklyn, NY. I think it's about 9.5 mm.
Steve
CrenoJune 5th, 2008, 9:21 am
Grants Pass, OR

It appears to be a leptocerid but I don't recognize the color pattern. Perhaps the eastern folks will be familiar with the pattern. Given the habitat and a little that I think I see from the wing this may be Oecetis.
NanzJune 6th, 2008, 1:54 am
Brooklyn, NY

Thanks. I figured it was a leptocerid. Tom Murray has a couple shots on Bugguide of what appears to be in the same genus.

Not sure if it helps, but I added a couple blow ups. What would you be looking for in the wings to help with the ID?
Steve
QuillgordonJune 6th, 2008, 3:15 am
Schuylkill County, PA.

Guys,
Leptoceridae...........

1. L.ceraclea (scaly wing sedge)
wing..... color varies from light brown to dark brown, or from light gray to almost black. On many species the wings have 'patches of white hairs and/or pockets of white scales'.

2. L.oecetis (long horned sedge)
wing..... varies from straw yellow to brown
** antenna.... may be extremely long

I would guess this is L.ceraclea based on the 'white hairs ' on the scaly wings!
Ref: Caddisflies, Lafontaine, pg.253
Flyfishing is a state of mind! .............. Q.g.

C/R........barbless
CrenoJune 6th, 2008, 6:59 pm
Grants Pass, OR

Nanz - I am looking for the shape of the apical m vein. It is not forked in Oecetis and can be fairly obvious.

As Quillgordon says, Ceraclea usually has very hairy wings. The hairs in your photo have nearly obscured the m vein apex but I "think" it looks straight at the apex. It is just not clear enough to be sure.

I wandered through what I could find of the "leptocerids" on BugGuide and didn't see anything I would say was the same as yours, but there are a couple of other Ceraclea with the obvious white scale hairs. And, I did see what looks like a really neat, and very very rare Limnephilid. It will be good to try and track that down.
NanzJune 8th, 2008, 2:48 am
Brooklyn, NY

Thank you both very much.

I increased the resolution of the second image in hopes it would show "the shape of the apical m vein" but I am not hopeful given how hairy it is. Slightly above and to the right of the center there is a dark "M" shape. The right side of the "M" looks like a branch. I don't suppose that's what you are referring to, is it?

I also am adding one more view.

The images on Bugguide, I was talking about, can be found at http://bugguide.net/node/view/115037/bgimage and http://bugguide.net/node/view/143406/bgimage.

I'm sure any help you could give to the folks at Bugguide would be immensely appreciated.
Steve
LitobranchaAugust 5th, 2008, 7:35 am
Knoxville TN

looks like it might be Oecetis cinerascens to me but there are few Oecetis I've never seen.

Nanz, great pics. Flip those boogers over and snap a shot of their naughty bits!
MartinlfAugust 5th, 2008, 2:03 pm
Palmyra PA

I knew it would get dirty with you bug guys eventually; it always does. If you do flip it over, Roger will be sure to get out his little red arrows to show us what's what. In all seriousness, great photos. --And, I'm in awe of anyone who can even begin to id caddisflies.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
TaxonAugust 5th, 2008, 5:27 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Louis-

If you do flip it over, Roger will be sure to get out his little red arrows to show us what's what.

I highly resemble that remark.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
TroutnutAugust 5th, 2008, 6:41 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Very nice photos Nanz!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.