Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Tying and fishing Wonder wings

JADFebruary 20th, 2008, 12:34 pm
Alexandria Pa

I would like to know if any one ties and uses these Great looking fly wings. I was told that above size 16 these flies spin unless you use heavy leader. IF any one has any experience would you please let me know so I don't waste my time tying some. They look like they should have a good profile.

john

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
DanoFebruary 20th, 2008, 1:47 pm
Vanderbilt, Michigan

Hey John,

Can't answer specifically to "Wonder Wings" 'cause I've never heard of 'em. But that only indicates that I've not picked up a fly fishing/tying mag in over a decade. But....

Even an upright and divided wing using traditional materials will spin on ya if the fly is too big for the tippet. Another factor is stiffness of the tippet as well.

Charts listing tippet size to fly size are, basically, just a guide any who. Stiffness varies quite a bit from one manufacturer to another for the same size (diameter) tippets.

I say tie up a #12, put it on a 5x tippet (which is generally the min size tippet for a #12), and throw a few casts and let us know what happened.

Dano

Edit in: Ah ha, I see it's a technique not a product...I also can see how they might spin on you when maxing out the hook size to the tippet....Sure do look realistic though....

Eventually, all things merge into one...and a river runs through it.
JADFebruary 20th, 2008, 2:52 pm
Alexandria Pa

Hi Dano

Way to cold for this old man today.I think the first article was written 1953. I think Chauncy Lively was the first to tie. It's pretty cool, maybe some will know.

Have good night-John

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
DanoFebruary 20th, 2008, 3:24 pm
Vanderbilt, Michigan

John,

According to the article I read at Traditional Flies.com, the Wonder Wing is a variation of the Wally Wing attributed to the Canadian fly tyer, Wally Lutz who developed that technique back in the 70s.

My impression from the article by Eric Austin is that he developed the Wonder Wing

I think you'll find the article interesting and the pics will really get you fired up. Here's the link:

http://www.traditionalflies.com/index.php?wallywing

Dano

Eventually, all things merge into one...and a river runs through it.
KinzuaFebruary 20th, 2008, 6:09 pm
W. PA

JAD,
I've had them (#14 stone fly dry on 5X) spin on me, but that was with blasting casts to the far bank on windy days. If you don't get too crazy with your casting stroke, I think you can get by with only an occasional twisted tippet. Seeing that you hail from W PA, going to a heavier tippet is usually not an option especially on pressured water.

Back in the early 1970's, Chauncy Lively was using reversed hackles that he called "Wonder Wings". There is one article of his that I am searching for that might shed some light.

John
JADFebruary 20th, 2008, 7:25 pm
Alexandria Pa

Thanks John
I have many of Mr Lively articals from Pa Angler. When I was a boy I cut them out and kept them all these years. I have been tying Tricos up all night ( pretty )little things.
From what your saying I should be ok with 14-16 Sulphurs for the first part of the season. These spinners sure look good and should give them a different look., thanks John

You meet the nicest people in the johnsOpps :)

Another John

AndygMarch 19th, 2008, 1:46 pm
Eastern Sussex co., NJ

According to The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference to Techniques and Dressing Styles by Ted Leeson and Jim Schollmeyer, ""Wonder Wings" appear to have made their way to this country from Europe in the early 1950's." They also mention that Chauncy Lively liked the style and you can see examples in his book Chauncy Lively's Fly Box. I think you'll find that they look and work fine, but they are not too durable. I found them to be one-fish flies if they didn't break apart before that from casting. I guess the latter problem depends on how long a line one is casting and how much time the fly is in the air.
JADMarch 20th, 2008, 6:17 am
Alexandria Pa

Thanks for the reply.
I have since tied the wing on the smallest of my flies 22 and down. The wing is a modified version And I have to say they will work on the fussy trout I intend to catch. :) Trico time.

JaD

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.