Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Time for a Magnifier Lamp?

John888November 7th, 2015, 2:24 pm
this is my first post here. Been a long time "lurker", but thought it was time to join in the fun and add to the excellent forums. I need a little advice from those that have already invested in a magnifying lamp.
Eyesight isn't what it used to be, so it's time to get a bit of help with the close ups :)

Are there any brands/features that I need to be looking out for when I get my wallet out? Would love to hear!
RogueratNovember 7th, 2015, 3:58 pm
John- welcome, and ditto on this being a most excellent forum, and fun!

This was one of the first tying accessories I acquired, a fluorescent magnifying lamp from Hobby Lobby. It took a while to get used to the change in depth perception (kind of freaky, at first) but I wouldn't do without it now. Myopia is not that cool...I have enough trouble squinting at sz 20 flies and 6x tippet as it is!

I also use an additional task light set at 90-degrees to the magnifier, no shadows behind my fingers then.

anyway, the magnifier ran about $ 50 or $ 60 some years ago, well worth it.

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
RleePNovember 8th, 2015, 8:24 am
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

I'm cheap and usually buy the lowest price thing that is functional and reliable. Given that, I have been tying with the low end Cabela's magnifier lamp ever since my eyes got to the point where I needed the help (about 12 yeas ago..). Its usually $29.95, but I see it is currently on sale for $19.95. It works with a clamp, so your tying area/table has to be able to accommodate that. It uses a 60 watt incandescent bulb and the bulb space is too tight for a CFL. However, the lower actual wattage halogen incandescent substitutes fit and work fine.

I've been pretty happy with the lamp. But like I say, I'm cheap. Worth a look, anyway...

Here's the url: http://www.cabelas.com/product/clamp-on-magnifying-lamp/1439363.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dmagnifier%252Blamp%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts&Ntt=magnifier+lamp

RogueratNovember 8th, 2015, 10:06 am
Lee-

I need to check this one out, since the color-rendering ability of the ring-fluorescent I've got is questionable...the Reveal line of incandescent bulbs is engineered to be as close to natural light as possible and would (should) work in the fixture you've noted. Thanks for the tip,

Roguerat
John888November 8th, 2015, 3:58 pm

Turns out that there's all kinds of things to consider when buying lighted magnification. I got confused and had to do some research on the different types. This blogpost on selecting a good fly tying lamp was helpful.

I am going to get one with a fluorscent bulb. It's going to need a clamp base, too.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.