Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Emergers

FishingguruJanuary 31st, 2008, 8:39 pm
Southeastern PA

Has anyone fished twisted hackle emergers and how did they fare? I saw an article some time back and it sounded interesting. Twist the hackle with the dubbing used for the thorax. Seems like it would give a nice splay for legs.
Lav
LonehunterFebruary 8th, 2008, 10:32 am
UPSTATE NY

Hi
Never have.. I would love to see a picture on one done correctly.
Love to steel others ideas LOL
Thanks
TIGHT LINES
PRACTICE CATCH AND RELEASE
JACK

ENJOY THE JOURNEY NOT THE FINISH
MartinlfFebruary 8th, 2008, 8:01 pm
Palmyra PA

I tried to look this one up and learned it's a Shane Stalcup pattern. Does anyone have directions for it, or for another favorite emerger?

I've mentioned the Little Lehigh Flyshop BWO CDC emerger a few times, which gave me a spectacular day once, and I recently had a buddy send me a Pat Dorsey BWO emerger that I'm using as a model for a new fly that combines the winging method on the Compoly Dun (A Google search will take you to a recipe) with Lloyd Gonzales method of tying an emerger shuck, except I'm trying CDC on some instead of synthetics, and cutting the wing short after slanting it back. I may add a wrap or two of hackle on some too. I also think a parachute with shorter hackles and a shuck makes a superb emerger. What are some other favorite patterns out there?
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
DanoFebruary 8th, 2008, 10:32 pm
Vanderbilt, Michigan

Can't say that I've tried this twisted hackle technique...Seems to me, though, that it would be worth a shot on nymphs rather than emegers. Most I've seen have a beard style soft hackle. Which, IMSHO, would be a more realistic impression of the legs...

In answer to Louis' last question: My favorite emerger pattern is the one they're biting on. Not trying to be a smartass, really. My "emergers" are the traditional wets that I carry. But, when things are going fast and furious during a hatch caught with a dry on the end of my tippet and all I'm gettin' are bulges with no hits, I simply nip back the wings and hackles, put a dab of mud on the fly, then get back to business.

However, back in the early 80s when these things were just becoming the rage and I got the Supplement II for my Index of Orvis Fly Patterns, I used this pattern:

Note that Orvis forgot to include the beard style hackle (Wood Duck) in the recipe.

After a couple of seasons in not seeing any difference in my catch ratios, I stopped using 'em. FWIW.

Dano

Eventually, all things merge into one...and a river runs through it.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.