Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Ridiculously Picky Trout

CaseyPNovember 10th, 2007, 8:43 am
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

fishing Thursday was cold and quite unproductive until i finally got to my old never-fail pool. tied on a Letort Cricket and a bhpt dropper and bam--first cast a take. was so exited i yanked and lost both flies to the fish, but that was a handsome brown. tied on another kind of cricket and a bhpt and no takers...tried a red midge larva and bam! landed that one; he'd taken the midge. but again, no other fish would. tried a small white streamer...bam! but no other fish wanted it. tried a red midge again. nope. tried a shiny sort of nymph and bam! but only that one fish fell for it. now it was really cold as the sun went down, so i went home.
before now, a successful fly has usually gotten more than one fish. whazzup? i grant you that pool has shrunk to half its size because of a construction project putting sand in the stream, but this is ridiculous--or is it?
there was a thread recently about how many flies you take to the stream--i'm going to get a bigger box...:-)
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
FlybinderNovember 10th, 2007, 12:21 pm
Oregon Coast

Casey;
I've had this exact same thing happen to me, before, also. Maddening, huh? But, it's why we fish! (I think?).
Anyway, did you spot any other fish, in your pool? Could be this was a personal lie of the one you ticked and of course, HE'S not about to be fooled, twice, again so quickly!
You mentioned that the pool was unusually small, so perhaps this time, it was only large enough to support one nice fish and the one you broke off, "was it"!?! Just a thought.
Flybinder:
"You should'a been here, NEXT week,the fishing's great!"
MartinlfNovember 10th, 2007, 12:40 pm
Palmyra PA

Casey, my theory is that the little spotted bastards sit around late into the night playing poker and coming up with new ways to confuse and frustrate us. --Louis
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
CaseyPNovember 10th, 2007, 2:47 pm

Flybinder, you may have figured it out. the first two fish i landed were suspiciously similar, and the first was a poster child for quick landing, quick and easy release. the third was a very different one. as for the "big" one i hooked and lost...guess that makes three fish actually seen. last year that pool had 40 fish in it, but it was 8 feet deep, not 2, where the limestone stream comes in, so those fish were hard to catch for different reasons. oh, it's never as good as it was--but then other places get better. thanks for the observation.
Martin, you're right--that's why we fish. was going to take up skeet, but it was noisy and always the same thing.
EricStroupNovember 13th, 2007, 7:09 pm
Spruce Creek Pa

Casey,
if you couldn't catch em' they must have been snooty!

We've been experiencing much the same, i think it has alot to do with dropping water temps. Just a guess.

Eric
MartinlfNovember 13th, 2007, 8:57 pm
Palmyra PA

Hi Eric,

Hope all is well up your way. I hope to venture that way again some snowy day and repeat my luck this past winter. Tight lines, and tell Bill hello.

--Fred Chappell
CaseyPNovember 14th, 2007, 10:24 am

hey, Eric--good to see you! yep, the only pickier fish this year were on the west fork of the Ruby...must be the heat--or the cold--or the season...
EricStroupNovember 14th, 2007, 2:13 pm
Spruce Creek Pa

hi Louis and Casey,
WOW! What a great site and source of information. Glad to have found it!
MartinlfNovember 17th, 2007, 11:35 am
Palmyra PA

Hey Eric, is there any chance Spruce Creek Fly Company will get its stream reports site up and running again? That was a godsend to those who fished the J, and good business too, I'd guess.

--Fred Chappell
EricStroupNovember 20th, 2007, 4:37 am
Spruce Creek Pa

Hey Louis,
just got back from the International Fly Tying Symposium in New Jersey and it was awsome. Lots of great tyers and good conversation. I was fortunate enough to share a booth with one of my hero's in the business, A.K. Best! Great guy and a masterful tier!
At the show, i hired a guy to get my web-site up and running again. i will be retaining the Spruce Creek Fly Co. if you're not aware, i've resigned from TCO and will be guiding on my own, independant of any shops. i will make sure that i have a stream report section on there.
MartinlfNovember 20th, 2007, 3:30 pm
Palmyra PA

Great news on the website and the stream reports. If you allow others to post up information the site will be harder to manage, but will give multiple perspectives on what hatches are being seen where, as did the old site. I know there are a bunch of guys who miss that site. Also, I've heard great things about your abilities as a guide and teacher from John (JAD on this site) and I hope to get out with you myself next season. By the way, Jason, who created this site, is the guy I brought in last year during sulphur season to get some advice and some flies. What you told us helped keep us on the section where the bugs were thickest. He said he's never seen so many spinners, and his report is somewhere in this forum's old posts. Let us all know more about your plans and how to be in touch.

--Fred Chappell
EricStroupNovember 22nd, 2007, 6:37 am
Spruce Creek Pa

I will stay in touch Louis. Have a Great Thanksgiving!

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.