Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Ramapo River, NJ

AdirmanJune 11th, 2022, 11:04 am
Monticello, NY

Hey guys;

Been a member on here for a LONG time, but havent posted on here in quite awhile- lotsa new screen names, I see!! Anyway, been fishin the Ramapo off and on for past couple of months. The state stocks with Rainbows weekly starting in March (I think) and adheres to a once/week schedule until Memorial Day; overall, , I think fish populations are pretty solid during spring and early summer , but do believe that due to extremely low flows experienced every summer, that there are no holdovers persisting into the following season (I may be wrong about this so if you know that not to be true, by all means , lmk!!).

Anyway, I've had the most luck using a #12 rubber Vladi worm flies on a gold bead , but have also caught fish using #14-16 Copper Johns and Pheasant Tails. One day I watched a guy with a spinning rod cleaning house whereas I got nary a nibble; so I asked him what he was using. He says " Berekely Power Baits" , then proceeeded to produce a jar of them so I could see what they looked like; To me, they kind of resembled Pellets. So, doing the best I could to imitate this look using the flies I had at hand, I grabbed some egg flies from my salmon fishing box, tied a tan colored one on and gave it a try- success!!!

Honestly, I don't really like trout fishing like that- these fish were obviously VERY freshly stocked IMHO because they hadnt adapted their diet yet to match the entomology of the river-b but hey, what the hell, right? Whatever works!!
Jmd123June 12th, 2022, 7:24 am
Oscoda, MI

"Match the hatch"...no matter what!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Jmd123June 12th, 2022, 7:29 am
Oscoda, MI

David, in Alaska they tie Flesh Flies...to imitate a CHUNK OF ROTTING SALMON FLESH upon which other fish will feed...& somewhere below a hydroelectric dam u fish silver streamers to imitate crippled gizzard shad sucked through the turbines!

...match the hatch!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
AdirmanJune 18th, 2022, 10:28 am
Monticello, NY

Hey, whats up Bud!! Been a long time!! Yep, You got that right !!

Hows the fishing out in Michigan these days?
Jmd123June 18th, 2022, 10:36 am
Oscoda, MI

David, I am currently recovering from oral surgery (ALL pulled out! Replacements coming...), & trying to figure out what my next move is...back up north or elsewhere? Just put in for Executive Director of the Clinton River Watershed Council! Been doing river & stream science for 30 years, why not?? Be assured I will keep all of the Troutnuts posted!

Tight lines & going fishing today myself!

Jonathon
AdirmanJune 22nd, 2022, 4:48 am
Monticello, NY

Has ALL of your teeth extracted? Wow!! Hows it going now?? Bet youre still on pain meds, right? Best wishes in your recovery :)

David

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.