Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Streamer Leader formulas

AdirmanJune 1st, 2019, 3:28 am
Monticello, NY

When I’m streamer fishing , I like to generally use level line, around 4x maybe 4-6’. To me that provides better control, what do you like ?

Thanks,

David
OldHasBeenJune 2nd, 2019, 5:42 am
Simcoe County, Ontario

I'm going to try streamers a bit this year... Are you using your leader setup on a floating line?
PartsmanJune 2nd, 2019, 4:40 pm
bancroft michigan

Adirman, I frankly haven't streamer fished much, but I hope to change that probably closer to this fall. Im working on a rig for euro nymphing, I don't know if I can mention this guys blog but its very close to this one. He uses a mono rig for nymphs and streamers. I will let you know what I think. I have been having some pretty good dry fly fishing recently, although water levels are a little uncomfortable for me. Thank goodness for a wading staff! Hope your fishing is going well also!
Mike.
AdirmanJune 3rd, 2019, 4:44 pm
Monticello, NY

Yes I am although I was thinking about using a sink tip rig, what do you use?
Thanks Mike 😊
WillyJune 5th, 2019, 7:06 am
Winnetka, IL

4x seems very light. I'd imagine you'd break off a lot of fish on the hookset. I often use 20 lb Seaguar or Trouthunter Fluorocarbon when fishing large streamers, and maybe 12 or 15 for smaller streamers (my smaller streamers are still pretty big). I do think you want a butt section that matches your fly line's stiffness, but one step down to a tippet and a 4-6 ft length seems about right.
Check out my fishing pictures on Instagram.
RleePJune 5th, 2019, 7:29 am
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

I agree with Willy. I'd put at least one diameter drop in the leader and I'd also come up to 3X for the tippet. Both will assist in energy transfer in the casting process, fancy talk for turning the fly over...:)

If I'm streamer/bugger fishing for trout, I generally tip out with 3X unless I'm fishing large water for larger fish on average. Then, I'd likely go to 2X. Generally, in this type of fishing, I don't worry very much about spooking fish with a heavier tippet. In my experience, it doesn't seem to be much of a factor.

The six foot (give or take..) overall leader length seems about right to me, though.
AdirmanJune 6th, 2019, 1:35 am
Monticello, NY

Can you explain the one diameter drop thing and also, level leader or no? Thanks
PartsmanJune 7th, 2019, 6:04 pm
bancroft michigan

Adirman, first let me apologize, my laptop is on its last leg and really testing my patience. If you to the global flyfisherman website you can access there leader building formulas and some explanation on leader building. I will tell you when building a leader you typically go down in line diameter in no more than .02 inches so that you can get a blood knot. Line diameter progression is very important here, but its also fun in my modest opinion. You can custom build your leaders to turn over the flies you are using or whatever you have in mind. Maxima has leader line kits you can on amazon, pretty cool! You just have to learn to tie a blood knot. I now some of the troutnuts don't care for leader building, but I think it just puts me in a little more control of what im doing and frankly Im a gear freak! If I can steer towards some websites for leader building or help you out let me know.
Mike. ps this laptop is about to go through the front storm door!
AdirmanJune 8th, 2019, 1:41 am
Monticello, NY

Oh ok, yes I tie blood knots, just wasn’t sure what you meant going down in line diameter , I got you now . The global flyfisherman site i will check out and the maxima leader formula kits, thanks. Do you have a formula for streamers that you like ?

Thanks,

David
WbranchJune 9th, 2019, 1:02 pm
York & Starlight PA

I am something of a very successful streamer guy on the WB Delaware. It is a river not unlike most tailwaters found anywhere in the US or even non tailwater freestones. I won't be giving away any secrets here but after landing hundreds of 18" - 21" browns I can say with a pretty high degree of confidence and accuracy that the fish aren't going to be leader shy, especially if you fish optimum times (stained water), I would never under any circumstances use a tippet lighter than 2X. I often use 1X or 0X. I pursue big trout so my flies are never smaller than a #6 and most often a #4. I have many streamers in my box #1 and #1/0.

Leader length depends if I am using a floating line or a sink tip line. I have used leaders as short as 18" in swift and stained water but usually with a fast sinking tip I won't havee a leader longer than 6'. It will nave a heavy .024" - .026" butt. I use only weighted flies. I need a leader than will carry a weighted fly and turn over the leader. When using a floating light I might use a 7.5' leader. Tip: When I put on a new 7.5' leader I measure back about 18" and snip off that length. Then I tie on a 2mm tippet ring to the end of the snipped leader and then re-tie on the 18" piece I snipped off. Then when the 18" piece becomes a very short piece from changing flies I snip off the shortened piece and just clinch knot on a new piece of 1X 128" long. One 7.5' leader butt will last all season if you have enough fly reels that you can dedicate one to be your streamer line reel. I have over 20 rods and a dozen or so reels so some reels are dedicated streamer line, or #5 nymph line, #4 & #5 dry fly lines, #7 steelhead reels etc.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
AdirmanJune 9th, 2019, 1:14 pm
Monticello, NY

Nice Matt, how long is your leader on average when using floating line? Also, do you ever use the double steamer tandem setup for high water ?

Thanks,

David

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.