Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Ladies and gentlemen, Plan B has been formulated

Jmd123November 27th, 2018, 12:35 pm
Oscoda, MI

My next teaching job???

https://www.higheredjobs.com/community/details.cfm?JobCode=176865263&Title=Instructor%2C%20Biology

Well folks, with the Virginia job prospect a bust, I have now formulated Plan B: I will be moving back into my Mom's old house in Troy while I wait for either the job posted above or another one of suitable responsibility and income. The Whole Foods grocery store in Troy is offering $15/hour to start!! Plus 20% employee discount...and I shop there every time I go downstate anyway. So I could actually make more money down there working at a freaking grocery store than up here teaching & doing consulting. Just as a temporary springboard to catch up on debts and save for moving expenses for Portland or elsewhere. There's always the possibility that I will find another good job here In MI too. I don't believe in fate - my life has been WAAAY too unpredictable for that. So, the unwritten book that is my life is about to add another fresh chapter.

In the meantime, the flyrods are taking their long winter's nap and I'm about ready to get out the ice fishing gear! We have had some snow on the ground for almost this entire month and some frigidly cold temps to boot. A little more snow and I'm skiing, another week of really cold nights and I'm cutting holes with the auger...

Hope all my fellow Troutnuts had a wonderful Thanksgiving Weekend! I visited my family downstate and got together with a bunch of old friends too, though we had to watch in AGONY as the Buckeyes just plain embarrassed the "Maize and Blue"...they all had to have a couple of extra drinks to wash away the pain...

Tight lines to all, be they on a fly rod or a much shorter one...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
MartinlfNovember 27th, 2018, 5:48 pm
Palmyra PA

Sounds good Jonathon. Best of luck with the plan. We had a good Thanksgiving, with friends and family in attendance. I'm starting to think about spring hatches already. :)
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
IasgairNovember 29th, 2018, 5:12 am
Colorado

I hope whatever job prospect that opens up works well for you.

Thanksgiving was good, and the day after was better because a local shop (Elkhorn) was having a 20% off on their rods, and so I felt it was my duty to go buy their new 905 Amp fly rod, and I was very thankful.

I'm pairing it up with a Ross Cimarron II reel with Airflo Exceed line.

For affordable rods, Elkhorn is right there with the best; they're just quiet about it.

Good luck Jonathan.
Jmd123November 29th, 2018, 11:38 am
Oscoda, MI

"For affordable rods, Elkhorn is right there with the best; they're just quiet about it."

What kind of prices are we talking about? I'm always in the market for affordable fly rods.

Thanks for all of the well wishes, gentlemen, I'll keep you posted as I know more. Expect the stories and pics to continue while I'm downstate - I've got plenty of fishing spots to hit there, including a few for trout (Paint Creek).

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
PartsmanNovember 29th, 2018, 2:59 pm
bancroft michigan

Jonathon, Im hoping the best for you, it would be cool if you could stay in Michigan! Its really a shame about having to leave the Oscoda area, but you gota do what you gota do. Take care and keep us updated.

Mike.
IasgairNovember 30th, 2018, 7:04 am
Colorado

Jonathan, here's the web site for Elkhorn rods and their prices; they have a nice little line up.

https://elkhornflyrodandreel.com/shop/rods/

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.