Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Tackle on Jets

DavemNovember 28th, 2017, 6:10 am
Posts: 7I haven't flown in a long time and now I'm hearing all sorts of horror stories on rods, reels, even flies because they have sharp hooks. We lug around waders, vests, etc. If you fly across country you need all your gear but how do you transport it? A lot of it is expensive- I don't want the airlines to lose it.
If in a carry on suitcase you put flies, reel, etc. any troubles??
If you go with a 4 piece rod in a case that you can store over your seat, any issues?
If you end up on a world class stream but don't have all your tackle- sort of pointless- there must be some way to do it.
Maybe just drive?
WbranchNovember 28th, 2017, 8:28 am
York & Starlight PA

Davem,

You should have no problem whatsoever with your flies. I don't fly often but I carry my flies, reels, all other accessories in my carry on. I have a roller duffle in which I put my waders, nets, two 4 piece rods, clothes, wading shoes. Basically anything that didn't fit in my carry-on. If you want to bring a folding knife put it in the checked bag.

Go to Home Depot or similar store and buy as many TSA approved locks as you have zippered compartments on your checked bag. Mine has four compartments so I put a TSA combination lock on each one. The bottom of the lock has a key hole made for a special TSA key. If they want to screen your checked bag they use that key.

I wouldn't put my good camera or any other valuables in the checked bag.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
DavemNovember 29th, 2017, 9:59 am
MartinlfDecember 7th, 2017, 9:01 pm
Palmyra PA

I've carried my rods on board also, just two of them, 4 piece, with the tubes taped together. They let you carry an umbrella on board, and the rods aren't much bigger than that. I didn't want them checked with the chance of not having them (i.e. lost luggage). I can buy a pair of cheap waders and/or boots, but I want MY rods that I know. Haven't had a problem yet, but I can never get anyone to tell me what's OK ahead of time, even with flies. I have heard that really big flies can be a problem. I've never had trouble with the ones I carry. These go onboard with me too, along with reels. Other stuff gets checked.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.