Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > C'mon spring

StokesFebruary 9th, 2016, 10:44 am
Columbia county,NY

Even tho its been a warm winter here in NY,many days were "spring like",I'm ready for the real thing.I relocated from NYC to Copake,NY in late Novemeber,I still have my seasonal place in Fishkill,but this will put me closer to a lot of the NY creeks I like, as well as some new ground to cover.I have access very close to me on the Roeliff-Jansen kill,so I'm really looking forward to exploring that,about 5 mins away.The Hosatonic is only about 20 mins away,but its in Mass. so I'll need a non-resident tag there.C'mon spring!
CrepuscularFebruary 11th, 2016, 8:36 am
Boiling Springs, PA

I agree Come on Spring! Always fun to explore new waters. Enjoy the new stomping grounds.
MartinlfFebruary 11th, 2016, 10:36 pm
Palmyra PA

Yeah, I have a buddy who has been raving about the Farmington for a while. He asked me to join him and his dad there last season, but family duties made it impossible. We have plans to try again this season. The stream has an Ephemerella needhami hatch that would be cool to see.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123February 12th, 2016, 1:49 pm
Oscoda, MI

Right now it's 20 F with a 17 mph wind...too cold even to sit on the ice! (I suppose I could hide in a pop-up shelter with a heater on, but going out to slush out tip-up holes...BRRRR!!!) Yeah, spring will be nice...couple of months things should start getting fly-fishable around here.

Jonathon

Update: 18 F with 18 mph wind...snow is going sideways...going down to -5 F tonight...
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
StokesFebruary 12th, 2016, 8:15 pm
Columbia county,NY

We're having our coldest spell this winter right now.I dont think I've seen more than 2 or 3 consecutive days with below freezing temps.It'll be back up to almost 50 on tues.Spring is coming early......I hope
MiltRPowellFebruary 23rd, 2016, 4:17 pm
Posts: 106Well, for mid N.Y. , we have had a easy winter. The steams holding there own. I be thinking the winter has been kind to everything creek side. Even been bug life, time ta time. Was out today, walking the creek. Going to another later in week. Why?, hell just cause I can. There isn't 3 or 4ft. on snow & ice. Water is great, clear, moving nice. It be a new memory. Out this early, just looking, to nice for words. The only thing better would be having a rod in the air. But it'll come, it'll come.
Later, Milt.
flyfishingthecreekM.R.P.
PaulRobertsFebruary 24th, 2016, 11:50 am
Colorado

The stream has an Ephemerella needhami hatch that would be cool to see.

Are those the dark little black-winged guys?
Jmd123February 24th, 2016, 1:11 pm
Oscoda, MI

I drilled through at least 18" of ice on Tawas Bay yesterday - with a hand auger. Caught one 8" perch in over three hours of fishing, between two guys. I'm officially getting tired of winter.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
PaulRobertsFebruary 27th, 2016, 2:29 pm
Colorado

The stream has an Ephemerella needhami hatch that would be cool to see.

Are those the dark little black-winged guys?

Well... with you guys bringing up the old thread on the subject, I can answer that one myself now, or re-live the confusion. :)
WbranchFebruary 29th, 2016, 7:33 pm
York & Starlight PA

I met Shawn yesterday on Spring Creek in Bellefonte, PA. It was a gorgeous day in the mid 60's and the stream had great clarity but was a little high and the water was very cold. I also saw Louis Martin but we didn't get to fish together. Shawn caught one and lost one and Louis caught two. I nymphed hard for three hours and changed flies numerous times and managed only one brown. As I said though it was a gorgeous sunny day and a nice way to start my 61st trout season.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
MartinlfFebruary 29th, 2016, 10:07 pm
Palmyra PA

Good to get out and see some Troutnuts on the water. The fish weren't very cooperative, but it was a gorgeous day. My brother-in-law, Walt, landed one on a wet fly! I didn't talk to anyone who was setting the stream on fire; quite the opposite. But nobody was complaining; we all seemed glad to be out fishing.

--Fred Chappell
PaulRobertsMarch 1st, 2016, 1:59 pm
Colorado

Sounds like my fishing lately too -although I've been after those green fish.
WbranchMarch 1st, 2016, 2:02 pm
York & Starlight PA

Okay you got me - what are green fish?
Jmd123March 1st, 2016, 5:47 pm
Oscoda, MI

Congrats on getting out and wetting a line or two, gentlemen! It didn't get quite that warm around here, and now yet again we have snow coming down sideways...gonna be a little while yet before this boy's fly rods see any water...

Jonathon
WbranchMarch 1st, 2016, 7:20 pm
York & Starlight PA

This past Sunday was a fluke. Monday and today are in the low 50's which in itself is decent however t has been too windy to even think about going fishing.

Jmd123March 1st, 2016, 9:06 pm
Oscoda, MI

I would love to see those low 50s, Matt, but you are right, nice temps do not necessarily indicate nice fishing conditions due to the inevitable winter winds. (In the past few years I have often wondered if I should put up a wind turbine to generate power, maybe even sell a little back to the grid when it's blowing at 30 or greater!) Or snow melt - my local streams get scary at that time of the year...

Depending on how the rest of winter goes, I may be out within a little more than a month. Perhaps even to throw at steelhead if they show up at Three Pipes in any numbers, that's within a 10-minute walk from my house. And of course, there's Easter Weekend at my folks when I will be hitting my hometown lake, no doubt it will be thawed this year and the panfish and bass should start waking up by then hopefully.

But tomorrow, I will be back on my x/c skis...looks like I will have to enjoy winter for a little while longer.

Jonathon
PaulRobertsMarch 2nd, 2016, 1:38 pm
Colorado

Okay you got me - what are green fish?

Jmd123March 2nd, 2016, 1:57 pm
Oscoda, MI

Nice one, Paul! If I'm lucky a few of those will be awake and hungry when I go downstate to see the folks in a few weeks. The way it's going around here, more like mid-April at Clark's Marsh, although you never know...looking out at 8 or 9 fresh inches isn't encouraging right now, but we're supposed to break 50 by early next week and it will largely disappear, just like our last big one did.

Dang it, now you got my blood flowing! That is truly a sight of Spring!

Jonathon

P.S. Oh yeah, Reid lake is open year-round so as soon as the ice is gone it's kayak time again for perchies and 'bows!
PaulRobertsMarch 2nd, 2016, 8:44 pm
Colorado

It's coming, Jonathan. It's right around the corner. We've got snow squalls on and off, but the sun is high enough now that it's a losing battle for winter.
Good luck in your upcoming adventures.
MartinlfMarch 4th, 2016, 9:15 pm
Palmyra PA

On spring break, I was back up at the stream where Matt and Shawn were fishing last Sunday. In the 2-3 miles I traveled along the stream, only one other guy was fishing this very popular destination. Still no bugs, no rises. But the fish were eating nymphs. Hooked 9, landed 6. Biggest a 17" bow. Several of the browns were 13-14"; not bad for a raw cold day. The recent coating of snow had melted and the temps were in the mid to upper 30's, so no ice in the guides. Spring is just around the corner.

--Fred Chappell
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.