Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Long-time reader, never-time poster? Start here!, Page 17

FgfgFebruary 25th, 2017, 5:34 pm
Colorado

Cheers man- I'm not to good with forums either. Nice to see you posting 👊 I see your love for the fly
@ferngullyflyguy
IasgairFebruary 25th, 2017, 6:29 pm
Colorado

Fgfg,

Nice to see another Coloradan. For Clear Creek, the hatches will primarily be midges. But mayfly nymphs should be on the move as well. You may want to try a combination of these in a 2-nymph set up.

Try:
BH Pheasant tail sizes 16-20.
BH Brassie 18-22 in olive, cream, or gray.
BWO Para. 16-22.
Midge dry flies 20-28.

I hope this helps. I know it works well on the Big T.

Also, stay warm and please be careful on any ice. Most of all, be patient. They will be deep in holes, and tucked up tight under rocks. Clear Creek can be very tough this time of year, but obviously better after run off.

If you continue using streamers, keep them as close to the bottom as you can tapping the rocks.
JohnRJune 9th, 2017, 6:49 pm
Eagle River, Alaska

Howdy all. Yeah I'm a lurker. First time posting to this forum. I'm no longer in the read only mode ( I've learned a lot here doing just that btw )

John
Eagle River, Ak
PartsmanJune 9th, 2017, 7:47 pm
bancroft michigan

Welcome JohnR, this is one of best sites to be a part of, really there are some great folks here who go way out of there to help us understand why trout do the things they do and how to go about understanding all of it. But more importantly conservation is at the fore front of many us belive in.The folks on this website are some of the knowlegable you will find anywhere. Please enjoy and contribute as much as you can.
Mike
David82ndJune 10th, 2017, 5:06 am
Upstate,New York

Welcome , there is a ton of credible friendly knowledge to be had here , plus the occasional casual posts I throw up , not scientific just basic lol.
Enjoy
Rjb_skinsAugust 7th, 2017, 3:29 am
Menlo Park, CA

Hello, I am new to this forum. Looks like a great site. I am a long time fly fisher (40+ years). Favorite streams are in Northern California...Trinity River for Steelhead & trout and Putah Creek for trout (nearest to my home). I belong to the Peninsula Fly Fishers Club and have found it to be a great way to connect with other fly fishers, and to keep learning about the sport. Wish I could get out and fish more often, but that pesky job keeps getting in the way. Also, been busy working on launching my new product (Wader Skinsâ„¢), a versatile aquatic system for safe wading & float tubing (check it out on www.waderskins.com).
Look forward to reading through the forum to get tips on the sport and places to go fly fishing.
Ron Beltramo
Founder of Wader Skinsâ„¢
MartinlfAugust 9th, 2017, 11:19 am
Palmyra PA

Welcome, Ron. You'll find a good bunch of guys here.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Summer_dougJanuary 8th, 2018, 5:35 am
Detroit, MI

Hello everyone!

My real name is Doug and I reside in southeastern Michigan. I am fairly new to the site and the sport.

During the summer of 2016, I was tasked with learning a new art using only digital mediums. For some reason, I decided to learn how to tie flies even though I had never gone fly fishing or even seen a fly in person. My uncle was a fly fisherman though and I always respected his view of the wild when I was young. By participating in the project, I learned to tie basic buggers, clousers, and foam ants/beetles. Later that summer, the first trout I ever caught was on a size 14 foam beetle which I had tied. Standing in that river and catching something with a creation of my own absolutely cemented the sport in my existence.

With two young ones under two, my time angling and tying is now severely limited, but my time spent dreaming about streams is not. Without having a mentor or parent who had extensive knowledge, I am learning everything on my own. At this stage, my process is mostly briefly researching a spot and then fishing blind - making sure to record observations in a journal.

I've been reading through the forum to pick up new tricks and, although I may not be able to contribute to the knowledge base of the forum, I look forward to questioning the heck out of you guys!
From Michigan
WbranchJanuary 8th, 2018, 10:53 am
York & Starlight PA

Hi Doug, welcome to the Troutnut forum.

I am learning everything on my own. At this stage, my process is mostly briefly researching a spot and then fishing blind

When I started to fly fish back in the Dark Ages when fly fishing had not become a mainstream sport I too learned pretty much everything on my own, casting, all the required knots, how to read the water and how to tie flies. Not having any one to take me fly fishing (my Dad liked to spin fish and he did take me out before I could drive) I did learn a ton of stuff from going to the library and taking out as many books as I could find about fishing and fly fishing. Today there is a wealth of fly fishing books available that can help a novice learn the complexities of the sport quite quickly. Besides printed material there are quite a few gentlemen on this site that would be willing to answer many questions and help keep you pointed in the right direction.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
IdryflyJanuary 22nd, 2018, 6:22 am
Posts: 7Hello All.....been an occasional Lurker for some time but decided to join. I've been an addict since the late 90's and its only getting worse. I live in the Hudson Valley and split my fly fishing time mostly between Connecticut (Housatonic and the Farmington) and the Catskills (Upper Delaware, Beaverkill) as well as the Croton system...and fish wherever conditions dictate the best chance of "surface action" exists. As my handle suggests I pretty much focus on fishing dry (or damp as I like to say) most of the time....and in that vain the Upper Delaware System and the Farmington River are my favorites. I have evolved in my tying style in that most of the dries I tie actually have no rooster hackle involved......but rather I focus on CDC, Hen Hackle, Partridge, etc as I find the majority of my fishing is on long slow and flat pools so my flies don't require rooster....and I'm also very fond of tying more of a "soft hackle/emerger/flymph type of dry. I love to read as much as I can about fishing and tying as there is always something new to learn and although I view many forums I find this one in particular has an awesome collection of members with High Fly IQ's as I like to call it (and of course - I bought Gonzo's book a few years ago as The Upper D and the Farmington are text book examples of "pressured waters"). Thanks all for the invite.
MartinlfJanuary 22nd, 2018, 6:19 pm
Palmyra PA

Welcome! I've had some good luck on pressured fish with wet flies fished damp. Thanks for reminding me.

--Fred Chappell
RedietzFebruary 17th, 2018, 12:01 pm
Central Maryland

I've enjoyed the site for years, but for reason never registered.

I stopped by today to see what the encyclopedia had to say about early brown stoneflies. I ran into a moderate hath of them the other day and didn't remember ever seeing them this early in the year. I wondered if was unusual or if I've just been unlucky finding them in previous years. (I was expecting little black stones, which I see regularly at this time of year.)
Bob
WbranchFebruary 17th, 2018, 4:55 pm
York & Starlight PA

Redietz,

Welcome aboard! I'm sure you will enjoy contributing now as a member compared to just being a silent reader. I do not fish for trout before April 01 so I can't speak to whether your sighting of early brown stone flies is normal or not. Matt
JimTaddeoMarch 26th, 2018, 4:28 pm
North Western Pennsylvania

I'm new to the forum as well but I've been tying various concoctions on a hook and casting it into water for more years than I care to count.

After quite a few years I dug my fly tying gear out of storage, got new fly line, backing, and leaders, tested out my waders too, and I bought a license with stamps. I'm from NW PA as well. I see a mess of Pa fishermen around here. That's good!

I was tying fly's and found the library and decided to join. It seems like a pretty cool place.

Jim
Bish0pApril 2nd, 2018, 10:04 am
Bay Area, NorCal

Hello,

Long time lurker here. As a member of other fishing forums, I realized I never joined this forum. Although I'm still a noobie as a fly fisherman, I enjoy this pastime. I'm glad to finally be a member.

Davy
WbranchApril 2nd, 2018, 10:29 am
York & Starlight PA

Hi Davy,

Welcome to Troutnut.com You will find everyone here is very cordial and friendly. I'm sure everyone would be willing to steer you in the right direction regarding your budding fly fishing life. I've been dabbling in FF for 62 years and enjoy sharing information with others.
JerryCApril 18th, 2018, 12:41 pm
Philadelphia, PA

I just joined the forum. I've been fly fishing and fly tying for over 20 years. I'm located in Philadelphia, definitely not the fly fishing capital of the world. Based on my location, I'm pretty eclectic as to what I fish for cold water, cool water, warm water and salt water. Most of my fly fishing has been done in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast. PA, NJ, NY and VT. Plus many trips to Southern and Northern Ontario. When I was working, retired now, I did some fly fishing in Guam. Always looking for new information, flies, fishing tactics, locations. I'll sit back and relax for a bit and browse the threads.
"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."
MartinlfApril 18th, 2018, 8:32 pm
Palmyra PA

Welcome, Jerry.

--Fred Chappell
IasgairOctober 17th, 2018, 10:02 am
Colorado

I'm just going to do this all at once because there's quite a few new members.

Welcome one and all, it's nice to have you here with us.
WbranchOctober 19th, 2018, 5:14 pm
York & Starlight PA

Welcome Jerry. You will find many helpful and knowledgeable fly fishers here always willing to offer help.
Page:1...16171819

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.