Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Grannom Wet Fly Style Hook/Size

LastchanceApril 4th, 2015, 11:04 am
Portage, PA

Just curious, in what style hook and size do you PA and Northern boys tie your Grannom wet flies, emergers, etc? A peacock herl body and some hackle for a collar is all I've ever needed to tie. Doesn't even seem as though the hackle color matters. I've been tying mine on the old size 16 classic Mustad 3906 hook and I'm running out of them. Just for the sake of discussion and comparing notes.
Bruce
MartinlfApril 4th, 2015, 2:51 pm
Palmyra PA

Bruce, I'm as much in the dark as you, but it seems some are using scud hooks or the Tiemco 3761 or 3769 (I think those are the numbers for their wet fly hooks; one is longer, one shorter) for caddis emergers. I often use a size 14, especially on the 2X short hooks. I've caught fish on that peacock fly, but I'll be tying a few fancy ones up just to keep me busy. I'll try to bump up a few threads that engage discussions of the grannom.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
RleePApril 4th, 2015, 3:02 pm
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

I would imagine that there are a variety of species that are grouped under the general name of "grannoms' and as a result, there's probably going to be some geographic variance in hook sizes. Generally, on the PA streams where I have fished this hatch, a standard wet fly hook in #14 seemed about right. But in SW Wisconsin, #16 was the better size.

I think the simple soft hackled fly is about all I've ever needed. A pretty full peacock body and a turn or two of grouse, partridge or starling all seemed to work equally well. I've even used mourning dove, which seemed to be a little too light colored, but which worked nonetheless.

I have now exhausted everything I know about this topic...:)
WbranchApril 4th, 2015, 4:48 pm
York & Starlight PA

Hello Louis,

Those may be one style of TMC scud hooks but I've been using the TMC #2457 and #2487 for over a decade. I use them for Sucker Spawn, Krystal Meth, Blood Dots, Glo Bugs, caddis pupa, and even some dry flies. The #2457 is available in #6 - #18 and is 2X short, 2X heavy, and 2X wide gape. The #2487 is the same but 1X fine wire and this is the one I use for emergers and some parachutes.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
CatskilljonApril 5th, 2015, 5:46 pm
Upstate NY

I've been tying mine on the old size 16 classic Mustad 3906 hook and I'm running out of them.

Do you want to try a newer hook or do you just think you cant find them anymore?

I see them often on e-bay. There is a seller on there offering the 3399's in the odd sizes too 11's, 13's, etc. Great classic hook, I use them a lot. CJ

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.