Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Pohopoco Creek

BillyJuly 13th, 2007, 9:39 am
Chester County, PA

I live in Chester County, PA and would like to fish the Pohopoco Creek 7/21, 7/22. The local water is too warm and skinny for trout fly fishing and I heard that the Pohopoco stays a lot cooler. I also heard that it may be hard to find public access there. Any suggestions for an area to fish and how to get there off the PA Turnpike? Thanks in advance - Billy
I was born with nothing and still have most of it. . .
MartinlfJuly 13th, 2007, 3:42 pm
Palmyra PA

Billy, I don't know, and Gonzo is out of town. If he gets back in time, I'll bet he'll give you some help. Otherwise, call Lehigh Gap Outfitters (they have a website http://www.wildernesstrekker.com/lehigh_river.htm; also try the new one--there's a link on the site above). They should be able to help you.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
GONZOJuly 15th, 2007, 10:06 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Billy,

The Pohopoco below the Beltzville Res. is a short tailwater that is often cooler than surrounding streams at this time of year. (This, of course, depends upon releases from the reservoir. The USGS has a gauge that you can check.) In addition to stocked trout, there is a small population of wild browns in this stretch. Good holding water is at a premium, however, and not all landowners allow access. You can get to the stream from the Lehighton exit of the NE Extension off of either 209 or Pohopoco Drive. The Tulpehocken near Reading and the Little Lehigh in Allentown are also good alternatives for summer fishing near your area.

Best,
Lloyd
BillyJuly 16th, 2007, 12:00 pm
Chester County, PA

Over the weekend I spoke with a friend who happened to spend a couple of days on the Pohopoco last week. He said that he and his son had to work unusually hard finding trout activity in the tailwaters. He suggested other streams at this point as well. I may take Gonzo's suggestion and travel a shorter distance to the Tully. Thank you for the responses. - Billy
JOHNWJuly 16th, 2007, 3:56 pm
Chambersburg, PA

Billy,
If you head to the Little Lehigh avoid the Heritage Water. It is absolutely lousy with fish has good trico activity and is an absolute zoo. There is plenty of good water both above and below the regs that sees much less pressure.

Also be wary of the jogging set! Some of those young ladies are very distracting and you can end up burrying a trico in your ear pretty easily.

JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
MartinlfJuly 17th, 2007, 7:04 am
Palmyra PA

Amen on the last point. Another civilizing influence that one doesn't find on FSB. :)
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
BillyJuly 23rd, 2007, 1:16 pm
Chester County, PA

JW - Thank you for the tips on the Little Lehigh. Sounds like a nice place to visit. - Billy
AFISHNJuly 15th, 2015, 4:23 pm
West Chester,PA

5 years later,Billy.If you ever want to fish the Poho get in touch with me.i fish up there a lot and I live in Chester County
Tom
"..when i'm not AFISHN,I'm a huntin'... "

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.