Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Michigan Fly Fish

MayflymayotAugust 31st, 2007, 12:31 pm
Saginaw

Hello all,

First time on this site... Im interested to see how this community of fly fisherman and fisherman alike interact with each other.

I was interested to see if theres a group of michigan fisherman that use this site on a regular basis. I live in Saginaw but have my favorite streams, rivers, and lakes I fish all season across this great state.

I was looking for anyone in the Escanaba area to provide any reports on the Escanaba River. Ill be around the area for awhile visiting some family. I know of certain areas that a great spots but havent been there since last year.

Thanks again
Still water Runs deep
TaxonAugust 31st, 2007, 1:02 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Hi Martin-

Welcome aboard. If I knew anything about the Escanaba River, I'd be happy to share it with you. However, I must confess some curiosity about your screen name. Is that short for Mayfly may or may not?
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
TrevorCSeptember 5th, 2007, 10:35 am
Interlochen, Michigan

Hello, resident Michigan Fisherman here. I fish mostly the Northwestern Lower Peninsula. All seasons, all species. I was born and raised in Midland Michigan, and worked in Saginaw for 3 years. -Before I got sick of working in Saginaw and moved north.
I'll see you down on the river...
Jmd123September 6th, 2007, 9:59 am
Oscoda, MI

Hey guys, Jonathon here, just chiming in on Michigan fly fishing. Martin, do you know about the Rifle River? It's maybe an hour north of Saginaw in the vicinity of the town of West Branch. If you're in the know, that's great, but if not, I fished there for almost 4 years and I can give you some pretty good hints as far as locations, hatches, species, etc.

By the way, folks, I nailed a 16" 2 1/2 lb. smallmouth last Saturday - on my 7-foot 3-weight!! I was fishing the river between Intermediate Lake and Lake Bellaire (Antrim County) with one of my size 10 KBFs (Killer Bass Fly) in copper/brown. The fish bent the rod completely over and I felt like I could barely hang on to it, but we boated it, measured it, and put it back. Of course no one had a camera handy!!! Otherwise I would have made this a separate post with a nice photo to show off...
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.