Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Northern New Mexico Recommendations

Bvcg1March 31st, 2014, 12:12 pm
San Antonio

Hello all. Been a while since I've done any serious fly fishing. I'm taking my 75 year old father to Northern new Mexico for a father/son trip and am looking for recommendations. I've been looking at the Rio Chama, downstream of El Vado Lake. Any thoughts or recommendations?
EntomanMarch 31st, 2014, 6:43 pm
Northern CA & ID

Welcome to the forum, Bvgd. Check out the lakes in the Jicorilla Indian Reservation. The Flyfishing is awesome and they are easier to fish for an elderly gentleman unless he's in pretty good shape.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
FalsiflyApril 1st, 2014, 11:11 am
Hayward, WI.

Not sure what type of water and accommodations you are looking for but I have spent a considerable amount of time on the San Juan. The town of Navaho Dam offers all types of camping, motel accommodations, with or without kitchen facilities, dining and grocery items. There are a few fly shops and guide services for both wading and drift boating. Any other needs can be found not too far away in Aztec or Farmington. The water types are all there, quiet, braided, riffle, deep runs, pocket, fast, etc.etc, an excellent tail water. Access can be found from extremely easy to a bit challenging. Wading can be as easy as following the bank or risking your life. My experience has been from late February to the middle of April, the draw backs can be water flow, damn windy at times and crowds on week ends. The chance of hefty Browns, Rainbows and high number days is very good but be forewarned, being skunked is not out of the question. But we as fly fishers already know that.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.