Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Short grayling fishing trip on Nome Creek

Short grayling fishing trip on Nome Creek

By Troutnut on June 22nd, 2013
This evening my wife and I took a short drive for some eager small stream grayling on dry flies. Unlike trout, grayling seem to bite best under the most pleasant conditions for fishing: bright sun and low, clear water. Today I caught thirty fish in two hours, while giving Lena first crack at all the holes (she caught plenty, too). This was the kind of day where every likely spot produces a guaranteed rise to a dry (sometimes several) and several fish wind up hooking themselves without my help as the fly line drags behind me while I'm taking pictures.

The main challenge was coping with the mosquitoes. This has been a nasty mosquito year throughout Alaska, and here they were about as bad as I've ever seen except on the North Slope. I was drenched in deet and picardin, which mostly kept the cloud buzzing around me without landing, while Lena was covered head to toe in bug-proof garb. Our defenses kept the bugs at a tolerable distance for a couple hours.

Photos by Troutnut from Nome Creek and Miscellaneous Alaska in Alaska

Underwater photos by Troutnut from Nome Creek in Alaska

From Nome Creek in Alaska.
StateAlaska
LocationNome Creek
Date TakenJun 22, 2013
Date AddedJun 23, 2013
AuthorTroutnut
CameraCanon PowerShot D10

Comments / replies

OldredbarnJune 23rd, 2013, 12:24 pm
Novi, MI

Nice pics, you two! Beautiful day and beautiful fish...I've said it here before that the closest I've been to a Grayling is the one hanging on the wall of the Grayling, MI restaurant...:) Maybe when I head west this August I'll manage to hook a few.

The mosquitoes here have been a bear this year as well...

There are stories here from the 1800's when we still had Grayling in this state of anglers fishing three flies and hooking more than one fish at a time...Their fondness for the dry fly didn't serve them well here...

Thanks!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
PaulRobertsJune 23rd, 2013, 1:05 pm
Colorado

Wow. Just beautiful.
CrepuscularJune 23rd, 2013, 8:32 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Nice Jason! Beautiful photos. The shot of the dorsal fin is really cool.

Eric

Shakes2582June 23rd, 2013, 8:45 pm
Fort St John, BC

Great photos. I also love to fish for grayling and armed with a 3wt they are my very favorite small stream fish. Love their eager attitude towards the dries and as you mentioned, their feeding isn't slowed by a wonderful sunny day. I am really jealous of your day. My wife and I were up at one of our Grayling hotspots this weekend. We found abundant insects of all types, especially some very large stonefly nymphs that would have made some exciting fishing. Unfortunately, we also found the creek swollen beyond its banks and chocolate milk colored, no fish. Maybe in a couple of weeks................
Jdw4rfJune 24th, 2013, 10:43 am
Their fondness for the dry fly didn't serve them well here...

not to argue but the overfishing is only a small part of why there are no longer any michigan graylings. Pollution destroyed their habitat, and just like cutthroats, they prefer clean clean water!

awesome catch, hope one day to get up there!
Jmd123June 29th, 2013, 12:49 pm
Oscoda, MI

Wow Jason, I would say other than the mosquitoes (and Spence is right, they are bad here too) it looks like you live in freakin' Paradise! Such beautiful waters and beautiful fish, AND a wife who will not only tolerate but enjoy a day of fishing even though she has to wear one giant mosquito net!

Lucky dog you...although I suppose the incredibly long winters make up for that...

Jonathon

P.S. Spence, as I always like to say, Grayling is the town named after the fish it killed!
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.