Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Japanese Beetles

CatharsisJuly 18th, 2008, 9:56 am
Media, PA

Do trout feed on these? I have tons of them floating in my pool right now and would like to try some on Valley Creek. VC is the only native water close to me that is fishable in summer and it can be quite tough. Any additions in my arsenal of flies would be helpful. Ive been tying since christmas and am quite pleased with my results both at the bench and on the stream. Any suggestions on recipes would be greatly appreciated.

"Although I know much, I should like to know all" - Goethe
GONZOJuly 18th, 2008, 11:11 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Do trout feed on these?

Yes. The infestations aren't as heavy as they were before the introduction of milky disease and (now) parasitic tachinids, so they are a bit less likely to become a specific focus of trout feeding. Personally, a beetle is one of my all-time favorite searching dries--a well-designed pattern lands with a seductive "PLOP!" that can draw fish to it.
CatharsisJuly 18th, 2008, 2:15 pm
Media, PA

Thanks Gonzo. Hopefully trout will start eating these ubiquitous stink bugs that have popped up over the past two years. What stinkers.
GONZOJuly 18th, 2008, 6:33 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

I know what you mean, Bob, but if the trout did deign to eat very many the little stinkers you'd probably have to hold your nose while removing the imitation from their mouths. :)
SmallstreamJuly 19th, 2008, 7:21 am
State College, PA

YOU BET trout feed on these, in fact I was at fishermans paradise last summer in august and I wasnt even fishing but I was capturing these beatles and chucking them out in the water and every one i threw out there was eaten, feeding the fish with those things was almost as fun as catching them
MartinlfJuly 19th, 2008, 10:02 am
Palmyra PA

Catharsis,

The other flies I'd try on Valley Creek would be ants of all types and colors, including fished wet. Bright orange is a good color for dries. For down under my go to fly is often a sinking inchworm, tied like a green weenie, but I don't make the little tag at the end that everyone says is so necessary. Just lazy I suppose. I've grown fond of chunky cotton chenille dyed neon green or chartreuse for the material to tie these. A Walt's Worm, which consists simply of hare's ear in a cigar shape on a hook, also works well in most spring creeks. Hope this is helpful; local fly shops can probably give you more specific recommendations.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
CatharsisAugust 4th, 2008, 3:06 pm
Media, PA

Thanks for the tips Louis. I just tied up some bucktail inchworms that extend off the back of the hook. I tied these for this local stream where I walk my dog. Never fished it even though it is right behind my house because all I could see was little spots and other sunnies, but I figured what the hell and tried the other day below this old mill dam. After about 20 or so real little sunnies I saw some nice carp. Switched to a bead head greenie and I think I foul hooked one (at least it seemed so from the trajectory of the line when he did these two short runs.) I tried to turn him and I pulled the fly out. Heading back soon with stouter leader and some other flies. should be tought to land anything as the plunge pool is a mess of deadfall and rocks, but should be fun trying.

I havent been to VC in a bit because Ive been fishing the trico hatch up in Reading and am trying the Bethlehem creek tomorrow. Been having a blast with the trico hatch but dont want to go off topic as Im not too accustomed to this forum yet.
MartinlfAugust 5th, 2008, 2:09 pm
Palmyra PA

You're most welcome, Catharsis. It's hard to get the folks here riled, so go off topic whenever you wish. As for Tricos, did you see the Trico thread?
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
McjamesAugust 6th, 2008, 9:38 am
Cortland Manor, NY

catharsis- I have always had good success with small baetis nymphs in VC, I tie them in varying shades of tan-olive-brown. Also, check your private messages.
I am haunted by waters

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.