Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Best dry fly line out there?

SwitchCasteFebruary 12th, 2014, 7:51 pm
Washington

Gonna be hitting the river hard this coming spring. I dry fly, not exclusively, but I'm set on nymph lines. So I need a new dry fly line. Mending is more important to me than distance, and I'm keen on durability. Found a buyers guide at www.flylinereview.com/fly-line/buyers-guide.html and they seem to think that SA's Mastery Series Trout and RIO Gold are the two best... I've used Gold before, a few years ago and it WAS really good but I think they've revised it a couple times since then and SA has really stepped up their game lately.

So is there any other line I should be considering???
Tossing 'em farther than your father!
WbranchFebruary 12th, 2014, 8:31 pm
York & Starlight PA

I like the Orvis Hydros textured lines. Less finger abrasion like you will see on SA Sharkskin lines and less noise going through the guides. I think I cast as good as the next guy and a textured line shoots better imo.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
CrepuscularFebruary 12th, 2014, 11:16 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Most modern lines are pretty durable for the normal fisherman if you take care of them. And they are all for the most part good lines. The trick is to find one that matches your rod. It's not a bad idea to call the rod manufacturer and ask me what they use to test their rods. I've had really nice and informative talks with people who design rods and lines.

Matt, does SA still make the orvis lines?
WbranchFebruary 13th, 2014, 1:42 am
York & Starlight PA

Eric,

"Matt, does SA still make the orvis lines?"

I don't know, I wasn't even aware they ever made them but I've never known who makes fly fishing stuff for sellers who don't manufacture anything. Last year in the Spring Orvis was running a super guide sale on pretty much everything. Anyway one of my friends works in a Orvis pro shop & I bought four Hydros 3D lines for $60.00. Two #4, a #5, and a #6.
AfishinadoFebruary 13th, 2014, 9:24 am
SE PA

SA manufactured Orvis fly lines for many years. This past year, Orvis purchased the Scientific Angler Company from their parent company 3M. Orvis continues to manufacture all the SA brand lines and all other FFing products offered by SA, along with their own Orvis brand lines. HTH.
Kschaefer3February 13th, 2014, 10:00 am
St. Paul, MN

Rio Gold is an awesome casting line. I like the really soft tip on it for casting dries. My only issue was that the soft tip picks up dirt and wears down really fast. I also used it for casting streamers that were a bit outsized for a 5 wt, so it was probably my fault anyway.

For durability, I've come to like Airflo quite a bit. I just got the Super Dri Xceed taper. This is a more weight forward line for throwing into wind and throwing bigger flies, but they have several other tapers to match whatever style you are looking for.
GutcutterFebruary 13th, 2014, 3:27 pm
Pennsylvania

I think there are certain lines that perform better for certain tasks.
I wouldn't expect a line combined with a fast action 4 weight fishing big rivers in Montana to be the best line to use with a soft action 4 weight on a PA limestoner.
Choose a line based on the type of fishing you plan to do with it.

What I'm using now?
For general large to medium sized rivers and streams, I second Matt's recommendation of the textured line. I use the SA Mastery Textured Trout line. I also like the Airflo Ridge line.

For smaller stream, light line fishing, Eric has hooked me on the Rio LS lines in WF for moderate action rods and DT for slower rods.

Your mileage may vary...
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
OldredbarnFebruary 13th, 2014, 5:34 pm
Novi, MI

SA manufactured Orvis fly lines for many years. This past year, Orvis purchased the Scientific Angler Company from their parent company 3M. Orvis continues to manufacture all the SA brand lines and all other FFing products offered by SA, along with their own Orvis brand lines. HTH.

If this is correct, it somehow slipped by me...Do you know if they are still building them in Midland, MI or has everything gone offshore? I'll have to look this up.

Thanks!

I used to use Cortland lines, my wifes father's side of the family is from up that way, but have been using more SA and the Rio lines mentioned...I have to agree with Eric and Tony in that different lines on different rods for different situations makes sense. If you find the right combo, don't get too used to it since the marketing boys are always playing around with it.

The Rio Gold WF on my 3wt Scott is so nice, a couple years back during Tricos, I almost forgot about my new Winston 4wt B3x! :)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
TNEALFebruary 13th, 2014, 6:03 pm
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

First trico spinner fall I ever fished I did so with a six weight; first fish ever in that "hatch" was a 15" brown; didn't break off my 7x fished on the 6 wt. I don't stray too far from that now.
MartinlfFebruary 13th, 2014, 9:10 pm
Palmyra PA

I'm using SA Mastery Textured Trout line on my 9' 5W and 6W rods, which I tend to use in places where a little more distance is sometimes useful. I'll probably switch to it for my 3 and 4 W dry fly fishing when the regular SA Trout taper or DT lines on them need replacing.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
AfishinadoFebruary 14th, 2014, 8:31 am
SE PA

If this is correct, it somehow slipped by me...Do you know if they are still building them in Midland, MI or has everything gone offshore? I'll have to look this up.

Thanks!

I used to use Cortland lines, my wifes father's side of the family is from up that way, but have been using more SA and the Rio lines mentioned...I have to agree with Eric and Tony in that different lines on different rods for different situations makes sense. If you find the right combo, don't get too used to it since the marketing boys are always playing around with it.

The Rio Gold WF on my 3wt Scott is so nice, a couple years back during Tricos, I almost forgot about my new Winston 4wt B3x! :)

Spence

Still made in Midland by Orvis. SA line and products still remain separate from Orvis products. Nothing has really changed except Orvis, a FFing Company owns SA rather than 3M, a huge international company that sells many products other than FFing worldwide.
NmosesMay 18th, 2015, 7:08 pm
Idaho

Pro Tip: The Orvis Hydros HD Trout and SA Mastery Textured Trout are the same line. SA manufactures Orvis' lines. Same tech. same features. same feel. same product. save yourself the $15 and get the SA. They're the best you can get. one is just a little cheaper.
-N
WbranchMay 19th, 2015, 8:10 am
York & Starlight PA

Nmoses,

Thanks for the tip on the maker of the Orvis line. I'd think most everyone would like to save $15.00.
OldredbarnJune 3rd, 2015, 10:34 pm
Novi, MI

Still made in Midland by Orvis. SA line and products still remain separate from Orvis products. Nothing has really changed except Orvis, a FFing Company owns SA rather than 3M, a huge international company that sells many products other than FFing worldwide.

Not sure of the point you are trying to make here. SA did quite well for decades under the umbrella of 3M and Bruce Richards. Orvis a FFing company? Wondering aloud where they get thier flies they sell? Luggage, jackets, nice rugs for my Mutt as he rides in the rear of my SUV...Leather fly swater. Orvis Bison leather football...

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
AfishinadoJune 4th, 2015, 7:12 am
SE PA

I'm not sure what you have against Orvis, but to be fair, Orvis has been in the fly fishing / fly rod manufacturing business for over 150 years. It still is a family owned operation (not a public company) and has been owned by the Perkins family for over 50 of those years. They sell other things not related to fly fishing, but most is outdoor clothing and dog related items. You can visit the rod shop in Manchester, VT, where they manufacture their line of fly rods and you can test cast their rods at many fly shops as well as at more than 70 stores nationwide.

In addition, the Orvis Company donates 5% of the profits to conservation causes, many related to fishing and has partnered with TU on many projects.

Orvis fly lines were manufactured by Scientific Angler / 3M for many years. 3M is a huge international corporation selling a diverse line of products worldwide. Since SA was such a small part of 3M's business, decided to sell of SA. Orvis purchased SA a few years ago. They continue to produce Orvis Brand lines as well as SA brand lines from the same manufacturing facility.
OldredbarnJune 4th, 2015, 6:14 pm
Novi, MI

Nothing against Orvis. Just thought that 3M should get some credit for the development of SA for all those years. Would SA have existed in its purchasable form sans 3M? Made some pretty good lines and leaders etc for not really focusing on fly fishing stuff solely.Let SA pretty much do its thing.

Maybe the sale was due to Mr Richards "retiring" to Montana.

Being a "huge international company" is not necessarily a bad thing is it?

Spence

WbranchJune 7th, 2015, 10:18 pm
York & Starlight PA

I recently bought an Orvis Helios 2 9' #4 4 piece tip flex and it is arguably the best casting, and surely the lightest, 9' #4 rod I've ever owned. I've owned at least eight other 9' #4 rods.

Back in the bamboo days of the 1960's (and many decades prior) I owned five or six of their impregnated cane rods and loved them. Whether or not they manufacture the products they sell they stand behind everything and have a wonderful return policy.
WillyJune 9th, 2015, 12:13 am
Winnetka, IL

I'm a big fan of the Rio Perception. I think the Gold is a little heavy on my 905 Helios 2 mid-flex and 906 Scott Radian. It really helps to cast a couple lines side by side to see which one suits your rod better.
Check out my fishing pictures on Instagram.
OldredbarnJune 9th, 2015, 9:50 am
Novi, MI

Willy! How you been? Missed you up in Grayling. Spent the last ten days of May up there.

Spence

WillyJune 9th, 2015, 1:09 pm
Winnetka, IL

Spence, I moved to Portland, OR! I'm loving all of the new fishing opportunities out here, but I really miss Michigan. I'll be heading back to Grayling for 10 days starting Saturday. Looks like I'm lining up perfectly this year for Hex, but I'm sure a cold snap will mess that up.
Check out my fishing pictures on Instagram.
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.