Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > 2wt

Al514June 29th, 2007, 8:27 pm
Central New York

What are everyones ideas on a 2wt? I hear conditions have to be perfect for casting and I don't think that one will have the backbone to play a fish bigger than 10 inches. Am I waisting my money by getting a 2wt?
CaseyPJune 30th, 2007, 5:13 am
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

if you can bridge your favorite water with your dining room table, if your idea of a big fly is a size 14, and if most of your casts need only reach 30 feet max, go for it. however, be prepared to take something larger when you leave home, because on some water, size matters. my workhorse is a 7'6" 3 wt that has brought me the occasional 18 incher, but on streams that take more than 4 steps to cross, i have to take the 9' 4 wt. out west, i even have to sling a 6 wt. same size fish, just bigger water. us tyros can be seduced by small things that look manageable, but they use big pencils in kindergarten for a reason.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
JADJune 30th, 2007, 5:32 am
Alexandria Pa

CaseyP has some good advice ,Theirs another thing that comes to mind---------------when the water gets low enough for a 2wt, a person has to be careful how long you play a fish, with out over stressing him.
If you stay in calmer water with smaller flies I wouldn't say you are wasting your money. I fish a 6ft 4inch 4wt Bamboo that has handled quite a few fish over 20 inches. I know where you are comming from I like lighter action rods myself. Try a full flex 4 wt and see what you think..

John Dunn

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
RleePJune 30th, 2007, 7:03 am
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

I think the responses to date are both full of good info. Peronally, my take is that once you get below say a 4 wgt., you're in a place where expectations have to be tempered by an acceptance of a more narrow utility.

In that sense, I see the really light rods (3 wgt. and under) sort of like this dinky Phillips head screwdriver I keep in a drawer. When the task is a match for the equipment, it's a very valuable tool. But if I'm just wandering the house looking for things to tighten down or if the neighbor pops in and asks me if he can borrow a Phillips, it isn't the one I reach for. It's way too specific for that...

WiflyfisherJune 30th, 2007, 7:20 am
Wisconsin

I bought a 2wt from the St. Croix outlet store in Park Falls, WI. (I can't see what is wrong with it and the price was right for a 2wt graphite rod.)

I use it with my kids to have fun catching bluegills. Amazing fun, a bluegill on a 2wt! It is great for that, but I don't use it for any serious trout fishing.
John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com
JADJuly 1st, 2007, 4:11 am
Alexandria Pa

Kids and Bluegills, it does'ant get ant better than that.
O ya cold pop and jelly beans, the deadly four.:)

John no5.

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
Sbman07January 2nd, 2008, 8:53 pm
ELk RIVER, MN

I wanted to do the same thing, i tried a 6' 3wt cabelas silver creek line almost like an ultra light, which I hated, then tried my buddy's 7' 3wt which was alright. I dont like using a 9' rod I have caught tons of fish on my work horse 7'6" 4wt that i love I caught my biggest bass on which was 5.5lbs on Blue lake in Zimmerman,MN. caught this beast on cheesy popper I found on a trail on the st. francis river
Three things I am never late for church, work, and fishing.
Al514January 3rd, 2008, 6:07 pm
Central New York

Now that I have acutally bought the 2wt that I was talking about and actually fished with it hard for most of the season, I can say that I love it. Casting is a lot easier than I expected and I could throw alot more line than I thought. One word comes to mind when I think about my 2wt this past summer/fall - FUN!. Fighting a 14 inch fish in a creek the width of a car with my 2wt is a blast. I highly recommend a 2wt for anyone who is considering getting one.
MartinlfJanuary 3rd, 2008, 11:20 pm
Palmyra PA

Take a look at this story:

http://www.mossycreek.com/one_weght.htm
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.