Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Caddis

DayTripper has attached this picture to aid in identification. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (5.3X larger)
DayTripperMay 10th, 2013, 12:29 pm
Northern MI

Looking for some help on this one which was collected a couple days ago in northern MI. Body length is about 12mm from the front of the head to the rear tip of the wings. Thanks for any help!
OldredbarnMay 10th, 2013, 12:52 pm
Novi, MI

Nice pic! Looks like Brachycentrus...Not sure species...Maybe numerosus or lateralis? Grannom, Mother's Day caddis, Black caddis, Popcorn caddis, etc.

I'm heading up the end of next week...Thanks for getting me pumped! Not that I not already geeked. :)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
CrenoMay 10th, 2013, 1:06 pm
Grants Pass, OR

It is one of the Brachycentrus - you won't be able to determine species without a good look at the private parts.
DayTripperMay 10th, 2013, 8:13 pm
Northern MI

Thanks, guys, much appreciated!

Spence, bugs have been insane the past week or so. The best time of the season is upon us!
OldredbarnMay 10th, 2013, 8:59 pm
Novi, MI

Spence, bugs have been insane the past week or so. The best time of the season is upon us!

:)

Alex... I checked out your site...Nice stuff! You should post your pic "Choices" on my Bass Bug Box post I just put up...Making me look bad. :)

I think Tony would like to see your Para/Form fly you have there...He ties those Para-Loop flies.

Maybe we'll bump in to each other some time...I have been nosing around Beaver Island the last couple years...If you know what I mean. :)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
DayTripperMay 10th, 2013, 9:19 pm
Northern MI

Thanks!

My parafoam flies wouldn't exist without paraloops. I was prepping to tie them and didn't have the right size mono. Dug through my materials for a substitute and the light bulb went on to try foam. Now they're all I fish.

If you ever want to fish just give me a shout!

Heres a little something from a couple nights ago on the Pigeon...

OldredbarnMay 10th, 2013, 10:30 pm
Novi, MI

Heres a little something from a couple nights ago on the Pigeon...

Sweet!!! That's what I'm talking about! Maybe I should bypass the bass outing and drive straight up.

When Eric and I were on Penn's Creek in April we had something just like this until a monster storm moved them back to the trees and us to our cars...:)

Spence

PaulRobertsMay 11th, 2013, 12:06 am
Colorado

Ooooooo! Love that image.
OldredbarnMay 11th, 2013, 12:19 am
Novi, MI

Ooooooo! Love that image.

Awesome, yes! You can see the egg sacs hanging from them...Incredible pic...This one and the caddis above are wonderful pics...The caddis one belongs in a book. The spinners in our dreams...

PaulRobertsMay 11th, 2013, 12:24 am
Colorado

The caddis one belongs in a book. The spinners in our dreams...

Wish I'd said that! All I could come up with was "OOooooooo!"
OldredbarnMay 11th, 2013, 12:44 am
Novi, MI

Paul...I just watched my Wings win game 6 in OT...I've had a few Pops...Makes me a bit poetic I'm afraid. ;)

DayTripperMay 11th, 2013, 8:12 pm
Northern MI

You guys crack me up!

I'm doing an experiment right now to see how long various bugs will float after being spent. This particular bug is one of my floaters. Its abdomen is now a granny smith apple green. When I first captured it, the abdomen was kind of a forest green/peacock herl green.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.