Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > any hatches in mid-september on the rifle river in michigan?

Crossb1111September 14th, 2010, 1:23 pm
Posts: 2Just wondering if anyone might have any suggestions as to what hatches may be coming off of the rile river this upcoming weekend (sept 18) and what flies they might suggest. Thanks for any input.
OldredbarnSeptember 14th, 2010, 2:57 pm
Novi, MI

Brian,

Just got back from the Au Sable this past weekend...I saw the small Black Dancer Caddis #18-20...There was a tiny Baetis...Maybe the pygmalus #22 or so...We saw a few Cinammon Caddis #14 and what I thought were a size 14 Light Cahill but I never caught one to check it out and I wouldn't count on this one (must be the last of them) though I caught a couple small fish on a lighter bodied Borchers...(?)

Don't forget ants, beetles, and some small streamers...

There may be a few Iso's left but I never spotted one and the late season Paraleptophlebia debilis...Small Slate Mahogany #16-18 though I didn't see any and the larger later Baetis tricaudatus & heimalis though I didn't positively spot any of these either.

The hatch activity I watched was very sparse...When we were wading the South Branch during the clean-up we had a really nice fish feeding in a slick...Wouldn't you know it...When no one was carrying a rod!

Sorry if some of these bugs' names don't match the newer names ascribed to them...I'm at work and heading home for the evening and just rattling this off from memory...an old farts memory...

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
KonchuSeptember 14th, 2010, 4:51 pm
Site Editor
Indiana

I'm not aware of much fall/late summer activity on the Rifle. I collected aquatic insects there several years back at Omer. The only three significant (not in scientific terms, thank you) mayflies over the course of a year that I remember from that stream are Ephemerella subvaria, E. needhami, and Neoephemera bicolor. BTW, if anyone ever collects any N. bicolor there, I'd really, REALLY like to see them! It's an interesting stream.
Jmd123September 14th, 2010, 5:15 pm
Oscoda, MI

Caddis flies!!!! They are on the river until early October. Try white, cream, light tan, and light gray, in sizes 12-14. I fished the Rifle hard (4-5 nights/week) for four seasons (1998-2001) and was delighted to find that the caddis hatches keep right on coming until summer is well past over. And, the fish do respond...You will see them skimming over the water as the sun goes down.

Keep some attractors handy as well - my favorites are White and Royal Wulffs in sizes 10-12. Also, hoppers for daylight - I used to use a Joe's Hopper in size 10 - and make some into crickets (all-black with gray wings) and katydids (all-green) for evening into darkness...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.