Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Esopus conditions

AdirmanAugust 7th, 2012, 6:44 am
Monticello, NY

Was at the E. yesterday am. Water was more discolored than I have EVER seen it below the portal. Fishing was terrible! Fished about 3 hrs and only caught 1 brown, on a bitch creek pattern. NO other hits , nothing. My partner caught only 1 bow, very bad. Myfeeling was the fish simply could not see our flies due to the discoloration. Thought maybe should've tied on a brightly colored streamer w/ a trailer or something; what say you?

Thanks,

Adirman
SayfuAugust 7th, 2012, 9:48 am
Remember what the bass hardware guys choose to do...Slow with a purple worm, or a black worm, and silhouette what can't be seen...chartreuse, down on that end of the spectrum. Problem can be fish are more interested in avoiding the particulate than feeding. If any clearer feed water coming in definitely a good choice to fish. Me? I call that bar water, and off I go.
AdirmanAugust 7th, 2012, 10:01 am
Monticello, NY

I was thinking about this and think you may be right! Sometimes, conditions just dictate pursuing alternate activities other than trout fishing!
TroutnutAugust 7th, 2012, 2:14 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Sometimes, conditions just dictate pursuing alternate activities other than trout fishing!

Nonsense! They just dictate trout fishing somewhere else. ;)
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Jmd123August 8th, 2012, 2:33 am
Oscoda, MI

Right now I have one spot left that is fishing well, my favorite trout pond that has a spring-fed creek coming into it. The water in the creek is ice-cold - I know, I have snorkeled it - and the brookies are stacking up in there and will hit just about anything. Over the next few days I will be hitting the streams again, but I don't expect to do very well because of the low waters and heat. It's the "dog days of August" and trout fishing is tough, you just have to know where to go...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
PaulRobertsAugust 9th, 2012, 11:21 am
Colorado

I was there last month, looking over Catskill waters to include in a FF course next year. The portal issues there scratched it from my list. I can't rely on it to be fishable for beginners, or just as importantly, to be pretty enough to elicit the ooohs and ahhhs one expects from "trout water".

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.