Report at a Glance

General RegionCranberry Lake, NY
Specific LocationBelow Dam
Time of DayEvening
Fish CaughtBrown trout, some small brookies

Details and Discussion

FisherOfMenMay 29th, 2012, 4:12 pm
NY

It seems I have started gaining some fly fishing skill. Yes, its true I have only been catching stocked fish (as far as I can tell), but I have been getting more successful every day at doing so. My dad and I have gone to the river every night for the past three days. I've been catching loads of little guys, and so Rick Kovaks, my fly fishing "mentor" challenged me to brave the rapids in the middle of the river to go after the big guys.

Apparently the small fish are in the slower water, but the really big guys (browns up to 20 inches) are right in the rapids. Last night I found this mid-river "pool" about six feet across and ten feet long.

I fished upriver with a goddard caddis, and the first one I hooked was enormous! I only saw it as it did a sort of side-jump thing for the fly. It had to be at least 18 inches, but snapped my tippet immediately right in the middle where I might have had a knot or something.

Tippet replaced, I tied on an egg-laying caddis and managed to land 4 big guys, all over 14 inches from the same little spot! I lost two more just as I was landing them because I didn't have my net, but I put them all back anyway.

I'm surprised I managed to fool the big guys and it was the most exciting thing to have a fish on that actually had your reel screaming! Being right around some very rapid water it was exhilarating to have them going in and across the rapids, always afraid of losing them with each pass.

Now with a few larger trout under my belt, I think I'm ready to start fishing some more difficult waters. I've had fun fishing where the stocked guys strike on every cast, but its spoiling me and there's much more to fly fishing. I've built up my confidence, and I've gone from the Fly fishing "Idiot" to Fly fishing "Intermediate" level. Bring on the trout!

P.S. And yes, all the bait fisherman (and even some fly fisherman) got skunked again! I love caddisflies :)
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught." -Author Unknown

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
AdirmanMay 29th, 2012, 4:33 pm
Monticello, NY

Congrats to you! Nothing wrong with gaining a little confidence cuz trust me, you'll go through plently of fishless days also!!
MartinlfMay 29th, 2012, 4:34 pm
Palmyra PA

Great report. Go get 'em!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
JesseMay 29th, 2012, 6:02 pm
I like it man keep it up. Confidence kills baby ha enjoy it.
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
OldredbarnMay 29th, 2012, 10:02 pm
Novi, MI

Nick,

Sounds like you are the one hooked here mister...:)

The trick, from where I sit, is that every time out you will learn a little something new and over a lifetime it will add up to something. Most approach the river with a pre-set mind and this can get in the way of the learning. Do your homework before you get to the stream and then let the river and the trout tell you whats going on...I've seen guys slashing the river in to a froth with their favorite pattern only to be told over and over again, "Not tonight mister!" Then, at breakfast, the next morning they complain about how poorly the river fished. When that really wasn't the case.

You are at the beginning of much fun...Confidence can be a big plus but, as someone mentioned above, just when you think you have it all figured out you get spanked...I'm 58 and have fished all my life and its nice to share big fish pictures and success stories, but I'm sitting here obsessing over the fish I was unable to catch this time up...These puzzles are what keeps me heading back to the stream.

Nice story...Your excitement is shared here on TroutNut.

Tightlines!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
FisherOfMenMay 29th, 2012, 10:45 pm
NY

True, Spence. I've been using caddis dries exclusively, and I can see myself getting skunked amidst a ton of mayflies slugging out my best tied goddard caddis ;)

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
MartinlfMay 30th, 2012, 5:23 pm
Palmyra PA

I'm sitting here obsessing over the fish I was unable to catch this time up

Glad to know I'm not the only one, Spence.

"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
FisherOfMenJune 3rd, 2012, 10:20 am
NY

Yup, it happened Spence. I couldn't catch a single little guy, but a hammered the big guys. Reason is, water speed. I was being too lazy to change to a slow-water caddis...

OldredbarnJune 3rd, 2012, 10:27 pm
Novi, MI

Glad to know I'm not the only one, Spence.

These are the fish and the problems/puzzles that bring me back to the stream Louis...It's nice to catch big or many fish, but being reminded, from time-to-time, that you don't "know" everything keeps me interested. :)

The trouble with getting older is I'm wondering how much I may be forgetting. :) It's going in one ear and out the other.

I suppose Louis that you and I could find something to worry about that would be more important, in the big scheme of things, but no where as much fun, me thinks.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.